News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Just put this bad boy in the oven

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 01, 2022, 02:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

My first Tomahawk Ribeye. Too big to sous vide so doing it the old way, reverse sear (275 deg in oven until internal reaches 125-130, then sear in cast iron for a minute on each side)

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Very nice looking piece of meat!

I have not done a lot of reverse sears. Are there any advantages to that?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 01, 2022, 02:48:05 PM
Very nice looking piece of meat!

I have not done a lot of reverse sears. Are there any advantages to that?

Reverse sear gives you almost the exact same advantage as sous vide. Cook for a long time on low temp (275) until the inside is approx 130 deg. Then pan sear it for a minute on each side (I tend to use butter). You get an even consistency throughout the entire steak with a crust on the outside. Because it is cooked low and slow, it retains its juices and the searing afterwards locks it in. Traditional cooking you sear first and then cook it in the over to desired temp - the pink is inconsistent and less juicy

https://lazyqlife.com/reverse-sear-method/

Jolly Blue Giant

Slugsy-Narrows

Ed Vette

I sear first on the grill after staging at room temperature for at least an hour. Medium Rare to rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Personal favorite cut?

I seldom have a nicely cooked steak I don't like, but my personal favorite is NY strip. Medium rare with a nice crust.

Sem

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 01, 2022, 10:04:05 PM
Personal favorite cut?

I seldom have a nicely cooked steak I don't like, but my personal favorite is NY strip. Medium rare with a nice crust.

My favorite is either a tri tip, NY strip, or rib eye. With a thicker cut I do the reverse sear, like JBG, except I usually fire up the Weber to about 700

DaveBrown74

I know about sous vide but I have never actually done it. Maybe I'll consider it, although I'm not at all dissatisfied with the traditional methods of cooking a steak.

Jolly Blue Giant

Ended up cooking for a few minutes longer than I should have with internal temp reaching 142 because I wasn't paying attention. However, it was incredibly juicy and delicious. Could've fed a family of 4 with it.

Sem

Looks great JBG. If you don't akrady have one I'd recommend a a digital meat thermometer with a braided lead. The unit sits outside the oven and beeps when the internal temperature reaches the set point. I have the Thermo Pro, it's cheap on Amazon, maybe $20, and it wofks fine.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on April 02, 2022, 01:21:42 PM
Looks great JBG. If you don't akrady have one I'd recommend a a digital meat thermometer with a braided lead. The unit sits outside the oven and beeps when the internal temperature reaches the set point. I have the Thermo Pro, it's cheap on Amazon, maybe $20, and it wofks fine.

Actually, that's exactly what I use. My hearing is so bad I can't hear the thing beeping and my girlfriend will yell at me that it's going off. I happened to get busy outside and thought it would take longer than it did to get up to 125. That's the nice thing about sous vide, you set the temperature and once it reaches it, it can be in the pot for several hours and never get higher or lower. You take it out of the pouch and sear it when you are ready, not when the meat is ready. And the pink always goes all the way to the sear and holds all the juices. Since I got my sous vide pot and a vacuum bagger, I haven't cooked in the oven in a long while, but this piece of meat was just too big to vacuum seal and too big for the pot...lol

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 02, 2022, 01:28:16 PM
Actually, that's exactly what I use. My hearing is so bad I can't hear the thing beeping and my girlfriend will yell at me that it's going off. I happened to get busy outside and thought it would take longer than it did to get up to 125. That's the nice thing about sous vide, you set the temperature and once it reaches it, it can be in the pot for several hours and never get higher or lower. You take it out of the pouch and sear it when you are ready, not when the meat is ready. And the pink always goes all the way to the sear and holds all the juices. Since I got my sous vide pot and a vacuum bagger, I haven't cooked in the oven in a long while, but this piece of meat was just too big to vacuum seal and too big for the pot...lol
They sell them with blue tooth and an app for you phone and you can monitor it on the phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk