News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Cowboy fans are melting down

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 16, 2024, 11:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Skip Bayless having a meltdown

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1746701972034801946

I thought Jimmy Johnson might stroke out during the half-time show. He was taking is personally. Strahan tried to console him, but the producers quickly cut away when Jimmy didn't want to be consoled
https://www.tiktok.com/@jackmacbarstool/video/7324098052774579487
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Symphony Steve

Not sure Cowboys' fans melt down.

Going to a Cowboys' game is like going to a business lunch.  Pretty bloodless and soulless.  The fans didn't even boo during the wild card humiliation.

I much prefer the so-called 'obnoxious' fans in the northeast.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Symphony Steve on January 16, 2024, 11:58:04 AMNot sure Cowboys' fans melt down.

Going to a Cowboys' game is like going to a business lunch.  Pretty bloodless and soulless. 

I much prefer the so-called 'obnoxious' fans in the northeast.

LOL...no doubt the most obnoxious fans are in the corridor between Boston and Philadelphia. It's amazing that the Bills fans in the northeast are some of the most laid back, friendly people on the planet while being in the northeast. Here's a story I got from a fan I met while on a business trip to Buffalo. He told me about Scott Norwood (he who missed the FG that would have given them their first Lombardi) who left Buffalo and was nervous to ever return. One day he did go back to Buffalo and stopped in at a bar. The people knew who he was and instead of getting in his face, they bought him drinks and told him it was all water over the dam and treated him like a lost friend

Imagine trying that in Philly  :hurt:

kartanoman

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 16, 2024, 12:07:40 PMLOL...no doubt the most obnoxious fans are in the corridor between Boston and Philadelphia. It's amazing that the Bills fans in the northeast are some of the most laid back, friendly people on the planet while being in the northeast. Here's a story I got from a fan I met while on a business trip to Buffalo. He told me about Scott Norwood (he who missed the FG that would have given them their first Lombardi) who left Buffalo and was nervous to ever return. One day he did go back to Buffalo and stopped in at a bar. The people knew who he was and instead of getting in his face, they bought him drinks and told him it was all water over the dam and treated him like a lost friend

Imagine trying that in Philly  :hurt:

Watch the ESPN "30 for 30" episode "Four Falls of Buffalo," which is an excellent documentary on the Bills of that era, and how they had to deal with the adversity of losing the Super Bowl four consecutive years.

The first year, of course, was against our Giants, in 1990. The Bills were, of course, a cocky team coming off a pair of thrashings against Miami and the Raiders and had beaten the Giants in the regular season. But when Scott Norwood's kick was not meant to be, the Bills gathered around their fallen kicker and held him up and NEVER blamed him once for the loss. Buffalo had their own celebration and the crowd chanted "We want Scott! We want Scott!" A teary-eyed Norwood approached the podium to a rousing applause and deafening cheers that went on for a long time. In short, he apologized for his miss and vowed to work harder to get better and make the big kick next time.

The show focused on how Scott never avoided the cameras after the Super Bowl and handled the difficult situation with all the dignity and class one could possibly conjure up. Average people sent him letters telling him how proud they were of him and that dads show their sons the videos of him and tell them this is what integrity, dignity and class mean.

After watching that documentary, I must yield, as a Giant fan, to my wife, a Buffalo area native, and the Bills fans, as the most loyal, dedicated and classiest fans I've ever met in my life. I would have to say the Chiefs and Broncos may be in the running for 1B and 1C. Many of the old AFL teams have that bond. The Giants have a "sleepy" national following which you witnessed in a couple of away games this past season where NY/NJ transplants live (i.e. Florida, Arizona, Nevada). When they get back to the top of the league, the sleeping Giants fans will awake and they'll over-power even the most loyal of fans in the nation. The Giants proved that against the Broncos, Bills and Patriots in their Super Bowl victories.

For now, however, we have to demonstrate our die-hard fandom because we've been dying hard just like the old days. It seems like the 1970s all over again! So glad the Cowboys and Iggles can join the party!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: kartanoman on January 16, 2024, 01:18:27 PMWatch the ESPN "30 for 30" episode "Four Falls of Buffalo," which is an excellent documentary on the Bills of that era, and how they had to deal with the adversity of losing the Super Bowl four consecutive years.

The first year, of course, was against our Giants, in 1990. The Bills were, of course, a cocky team coming off a pair of thrashings against Miami and the Raiders and had beaten the Giants in the regular season. But when Scott Norwood's kick was not meant to be, the Bills gathered around their fallen kicker and held him up and NEVER blamed him once for the loss. Buffalo had their own celebration and the crowd chanted "We want Scott! We want Scott!" A teary-eyed Norwood approached the podium to a rousing applause and deafening cheers that went on for a long time. In short, he apologized for his miss and vowed to work harder to get better and make the big kick next time.

The show focused on how Scott never avoided the cameras after the Super Bowl and handled the difficult situation with all the dignity and class one could possibly conjure up. Average people sent him letters telling him how proud they were of him and that dads show their sons the videos of him and tell them this is what integrity, dignity and class mean.

After watching that documentary, I must yield, as a Giant fan, to my wife, a Buffalo area native, and the Bills fans, as the most loyal, dedicated and classiest fans I've ever met in my life. I would have to say the Chiefs and Broncos may be in the running for 1B and 1C. Many of the old AFL teams have that bond. The Giants have a "sleepy" national following which you witnessed in a couple of away games this past season where NY/NJ transplants live (i.e. Florida, Arizona, Nevada). When they get back to the top of the league, the sleeping Giants fans will awake and they'll over-power even the most loyal of fans in the nation. The Giants proved that against the Broncos, Bills and Patriots in their Super Bowl victories.

For now, however, we have to demonstrate our die-hard fandom because we've been dying hard just like the old days. It seems like the 1970s all over again! So glad the Cowboys and Iggles can join the party!

Peace!

Nice...I'll see if I can find that documentary. I might be way off, but I know a few Browns' fans and they seem a lot like Bills' fans. Laid back, incredibly loyal (to a fault), and don't get all bent out of shape when things don't go right (which if you follow Cleveland, that's most the time). They laugh and move on and act like they love them more than ever. Extreme passion is definitely in the northeast corridor, though. To many fans, they act like the game is a matter of life and death  :-??

TDToomer

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 16, 2024, 11:45:05 AM

Skip Bayless having a meltdown

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1746701972034801946

I thought Jimmy Johnson might stroke out during the half-time show. He was taking is personally. Strahan tried to console him, but the producers quickly cut away when Jimmy didn't want to be consoled
https://www.tiktok.com/@jackmacbarstool/video/7324098052774579487

What Jimmy Johnson did shoving his face in the camera screaming like drunken fan during what is supposed to be an unbiased and neutral national broadcast was beyond unprofessional. He needs to retire from broadcasting. It's been 30 years since you coached this team and for only 5 seasons!

Could you imagine Eli or Phil acting this way if they were on the broadcast crew for a Giants home playoff game and were getting smoked at half time? Of course not. But something about these former Cowboy players, coaches and media fan boys turns into historic meltdowns when their prima donna favorite team disapoints.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

LennG

After the game, all the other guys had comments, but Johnson never said one word. You could see the look if hapless disgust on him.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TDToomer

Quote from: LennG on January 16, 2024, 02:48:47 PMAfter the game, all the other guys had comments, but Johnson never said one word. You could see the look if hapless disgust on him.

Then he has no business on national TV. Rip his contract up FOX and send him to a local Dallas station. Oh wait, they don't have a post-game show. In fact their FOX affiliate cut away from the broadcast to start the evening news before the game ended!

Anyone remember when the Giants stunned the Cowboys in the 2007 playoff. The Fox crew, who incredibly still have the same personnel plus Strahan & Gronk, were stunned, speechless and mostly silent during the post game wrap to the point you could easily hear papers being shuffled. They had nothing prepared to say in case the Giants won.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 16, 2024, 01:38:20 PMNice...I'll see if I can find that documentary. I might be way off, but I know a few Browns' fans and they seem a lot like Bills' fans. Laid back, incredibly loyal (to a fault), and don't get all bent out of shape when things don't go right (which if you follow Cleveland, that's most the time). They laugh and move on and act like they love them more than ever. Extreme passion is definitely in the northeast corridor, though. To many fans, they act like the game is a matter of life and death  :-??

Cleveland has developed a unique personality as a championship-starved city which had been heart-broken time after time with the Browns following their last NFL Championship in 1964. The Guardians (former Indians) hadn't won a Baseball Championship since 1948 and the Cavaliers NBA team provided the city's only championship in recent memory in 2016. It was an emotional affair for the city's sports fanaticals and even Jim Brown took part in the celebrations.

But, regarding football, the Gods had not been good to Cleveland post-Paul/Jim Brown. The 1980 "Cardiac Kids" were a team of destiny until the weather in Cleveland made it impossible for their kicker to be effective in the game. It required Brian Sipe to make an errant throw in the end zone which was intercepted and the Oakland Raiders continued their own Cinderella story to the Super Bowl in becoming the first Wild Card team to win it all. A few years later, the 1986 Browns were denied a Super Bowl appearance when John Elway's "Drive" sent their AFC Championship into overtime and a controversial Rich Karlis FG, which appeared to hook wide left (NOTE: but the ball sailed above the left upright and only the line judge under the upright had the best view) but was called good and a second AFC Championship slipped from their grasp. The following season, a rematch AFC Championship, this time in Denver, and Earnest Byner fumbles as he prepares to cross the goal line for the game tying score. Cleveland loses another AFC Championship. The Browns hold on for dear life in subsequent years until they bottom out in 1990 which prompted a coaching change. Bill Belichick takes over in 1991 and struggles early. But, by 1994, he has the Browns in the playoffs and even beats his old boss, Bill Parcells, in the Wild Card round. By 1995, the feeling is that the Browns are again a contender. By mid-season, the script is holding to form. That is, until an announcement made by their owner, Art Modell, who announced he is moving the team to Baltimore at the end of season 1995. Like an atom bomb dropped on the team, its fans and the entire city, Modell dropped the bomb and ran as fast as he could; a premeditated strike as notorious as any. The fallout from the strike was as you would expect. The team never recovered and proceeded to play in a state of shock as opponents ran roughshod over them and what looked like a playoff season was completely eradicated. Their final game in the old Municipal Stadium, sometimes referred to as "The Mistake by The Lake," was like a funeral as the Browns managed to get it together against their arch rivals, the Bengals, and won the game as rowdy fans ripped out the old bleachers and tossed them on the field. In the end, the players ran to the famous "Dawg Pound" and the fans just grabbed onto them and didn't want to let them go. It was a very emotional moment where fans had their football team taken away from them and simply didn't want to let them go at the end.

I would highly recommend watching NFL Films' Documentary "A Football Life" episode "Cleveland '95" which covers everything I just wrote about the Browns, Bill Belichick and the city of Cleveland. It's an amazing story that leaves you shaking your head that an owner could be so crude as to pick up and leave in the middle of a season. But the flip side is that Modell had given a lot in his own wallet to the city and was looking for a little help in developing a new stadium which never realized any progress. Belichick, as the story went, was left stranded on the side of the road after the move. But he wouldn't be out of work long as his old boss brought him back on his staff and, in 1996, both had the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

But back to the long, suffering Browns fans. Like the Bills fans, they have more than taken their lumps but remain in good spirits about their respective teams. Whenever their days of glory finally come to pass, it will be good for all who love football to see it come to fruition for the long suffering fans to finally experience a championship the way we all did back in 1986. It was magic and that memory remains burned deep in the recesses of my mind and heart.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

Quote from: TDToomer on January 16, 2024, 02:55:40 PMThen he has no business on national TV. Rip his contract up FOX and send him to a local Dallas station. Oh wait, they don't have a post-game show. In fact their FOX affiliate cut away from the broadcast to start the evening news before the game ended!

Anyone remember when the Giants stunned the Cowboys in the 2007 playoff. The Fox crew, who incredibly still have the same personnel plus Strahan & Gronk, were stunned, speechless and mostly silent during the post game wrap to the point you could easily hear papers being shuffled. They had nothing prepared to say in case the Giants won.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Throughout the entire playoffs, every one of the hosts picked whatever team the Giants were playing, not one picked the Giants and YES, they were absolutely stunned, week after week, NO one believed, except us.
When the Giants beat Dallas, I thought Johnson was going to cry.

https://nypost.com/2012/01/23/ann-mara-confronts-foxs-bradshaw-during-giants-postgame-celebration-video/
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 16, 2024, 02:48:47 PMAfter the game, all the other guys had comments, but Johnson never said one word. You could see the look if hapless disgust on him.

I noticed that too...never gave him a chance to say what he though...smart move by the TV guys

TDToomer

Quote from: LennG on January 16, 2024, 05:15:03 PMI remember it like it was yesterday. Throughout the entire playoffs, every one of the hosts picked whatever team the Giants were playing, not one picked the Giants and YES, they were absolutely stunned, week after week, NO one believed, except us.
When the Giants beat Dallas, I thought Johnson was going to cry.

https://nypost.com/2012/01/23/ann-mara-confronts-foxs-bradshaw-during-giants-postgame-celebration-video/

Look the Giants were underdogs in every playoff game that year and the road team each NFC game. I have no problem with them predicting the other team. But cover the result as fairly as you would have of the home favorite had won.