News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink to the Eagles???

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 22, 2024, 06:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He's sort of a fit for them, you know they'd enjoy sticking it to us, and I'm sure Wink would love to make Daboll look bad, which this somewhat does. To be honest I have been fully expecting him to go to either the Eagles or Dallas (assuming Quinn gets a HC job). So I'm not surprised at all to hear the talks are already underway.

UKGiantsFan

Yes and no. Yes, if we continue to have a dysfunctional OL and a QB who won't fire down the field. No, if you take Wink's results after the last three years and realise that the good teams have figured his scheme out and repeatedly took advantage of it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on January 22, 2024, 07:06:10 AMYes and no. Yes, if we continue to have a dysfunctional OL and a QB who won't fire down the field. No, if you take Wink's results after the last three years and realise that the good teams have figured his scheme out and repeatedly took advantage of it.

His last year in Baltimore was ravaged with injuries. His results were excellent prior to that, and if his scheme were crackable it would have happened during those years.

He's like most if not all DCs with any sort of good reputation. Give him the right personnel, and he will get you results. Give him an insufficiently talented defensive roster, and he'll struggle. See Spags and numerous others.

Bob In PA

I've thought about that possibility a lot. My observations are as follows:

This situation will tell us just how good a GM we really have.  Wink had another year left in his contract.

IMO, a good GM would have included into the provision releasing him from his obligations under the final contract year a stipulation making his release contingent upon his not going to a divisional rival in any capacity (maybe even not going to any NFC team).

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

ozzie

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 22, 2024, 06:53:43 AMWouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He's sort of a fit for them, you know they'd enjoy sticking it to us, and I'm sure Wink would love to make Daboll look bad, which this somewhat does. To be honest I have been fully expecting him to go to either the Eagles or Dallas (assuming Quinn gets a HC job). So I'm not surprised at all to hear the talks are already underway.
This was my thinking too. As soon as Dallas lost I figured Quinn would be off to coach the Seahawks and the Cowboys would bring Wink in to harass the Giants for the next few years.
But Philly fits that scenario too.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

T200

We have had the hardest time beating Dallas and Philly over the past 10+ seasons. Wink's potential addition isn't going to change that.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 22, 2024, 08:08:21 AMI've thought about that possibility a lot. My observations are as follows:

This situation will tell us just how good a GM we really have.  Wink had another year left in his contract.

IMO, a good GM would have included into the provision releasing him from his obligations under the final contract year a stipulation making his release contingent upon his not going to a divisional rival in any capacity (maybe even not going to any NFC team).

Bob

Bob, you think like a lawyer...oh yeah, forgot...LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Gmo11

If he couldn't get along with Daboll how the hell does he expect to get along with that dope Sirianni?

ozzie

Quote from: Gmo11 on January 22, 2024, 11:44:04 AMIf he couldn't get along with Daboll how the hell does he expect to get along with that dope Sirianni?
I think Sirianni may be on the "Hot Seat" next season due to the collapse this season. If that's the case, I doubt he would be too worried about what Wink and his guys do or where they sit at lunchtime as long as the defense can produce.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Gmo11

Quote from: ozzie on January 22, 2024, 02:01:52 PMI think Sirianni may be on the "Hot Seat" next season due to the collapse this season. If that's the case, I doubt he would be too worried about what Wink and his guys do or where they sit at lunchtime as long as the defense can produce.

You'd have thought Daboll would believe that too but apparently that didn't happen.  Sirianni seems too preoccupied with how Sirianni looks so I could absolutely see him trying to stick his nose into Wink's business if they have a bad game.  And we all saw the Giants have a few stinkers on defense this season.