News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen's right hand man (Brandon Brown) gets 2nd interview

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 25, 2024, 10:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

LA Chargers are bringing Brown in for his second interview for their GM. Likely gone. It was always going to happen that he would be a GM for some team...just a matter of time

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chargers-to-have-second-g-m-interview-with-brandon-brown
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

I am hoping BB gets a job, I really want those two (2024 and 2025) 3rd round comp picks.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 10:39:39 AMI am hoping BB gets a job, I really want those two (2024 and 2025) 3rd round comp picks.

Please explain Rich.  How does BB leaving get us comp picks?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on January 25, 2024, 10:48:12 AMPlease explain Rich.  How does BB leaving get us comp picks?

As part of the NFL's efforts to increase minority representation at the HC and GM level, a team that loses a coaching or GM assistant to a team that hires them for an HC or GM job gets a 3rd round comp pick for the current draft and the next draft.  The 49ers hired and developed many minority coaching and front-office prospects, and that's why they are so talented.  They have received a ton of 3rd round comp picks.

I am told if Kafka gets an HC job, the Giants would get picks for him as well due to one set of grandparents being Puerto Rican.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

This rule was why I was a little disappointed that when Patrick Graham left it was for a lateral move, not a head coaching role.

The Niners have definitely taken advantage of the rule, and as a result of their "taking advantage" of it, not only have they benefited, but guys like Demeco Ryans and Saleh (two Lebanese parents, not 100% sure that counts but it should) have gotten big time opportunities as young men.

I would never advocate hiring a minority purely on the basis of race, which I view as basically reverse racism, but if you look at the racial composition of NFL players and compare that to that of coaches and (even more so) GMs, it seems pretty clear that minorities have had a more difficult time getting hired to key roles than they probably should. There are a lot of possible reasons for this, and I don't want to get into all of them or get into a broad political dialogue, but the quantitative point about the comparison of player demographics to coaching and front office demographics is a matter of fact and not really up for debate.

So to me, it behooves NFL teams to at least be making an effort in this area. Even if you aren't motivated by the progressive side of it, you stand to get a ton more draft capital if it's part of your general MO. Get three or four coordinators hired to head coaching roles and/or assistant GMs to GM roles over a 4-7 year period, and you're going to really see the difference in your roster caliber.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 10:51:14 AMAs part of the NFL's efforts to increase minority representation at the HC and GM level, a team that loses a coaching or GM assistant to a team that hires them for an HC or GM job gets a 3rd round comp pick for the current draft and the next draft.  The 49ers hired and developed many minority coaching and front-office prospects, and that's why they are so talented.  They have received a ton of 3rd round comp picks.

I am told if Kafka gets an HC job, the Giants would get picks for him as well due to one set of grandparents being Puerto Rican.

Somehow, I can't think Kafka will get a HC job...especially after last season when Daboll had to take over play calling at times. Now if he followed up this season with a better record than last season...and our offense jumped into a top 10 offense, I'd think it was possible. Just don't see that happening
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 25, 2024, 01:19:42 PMSomehow, I can't think Kafka will get a HC job...especially after last season when Daboll had to take over play calling at times. Now if he followed up this season with a better record than last season...and our offense jumped into a top 10 offense, I'd think it was possible. Just don't see that happening

Daboll took over playcalling, but I am not sure he "had" to.   To me the biggest issue with the offense was the terrible play of the O-line and the injuries at QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

We'd want a young up and coming and by all accounts brilliant front office man to leave for some measly third round comp picks?  Sorry, I can't get on board with that.  I hope we can hang on to him, if he's really as good as it's been reported.

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 10:51:14 AMAs part of the NFL's efforts to increase minority representation at the HC and GM level, a team that loses a coaching or GM assistant to a team that hires them for an HC or GM job gets a 3rd round comp pick for the current draft and the next draft.  The 49ers hired and developed many minority coaching and front-office prospects, and that's why they are so talented.  They have received a ton of 3rd round comp picks.

One set of grandparents being Puerto Rican = 1 parent being Puerto Rican. Why are we focusing so much on his Grandparents? 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on January 25, 2024, 01:24:48 PMWe'd want a young up and coming and by all accounts brilliant front office man to leave for some measly third round comp picks?  Sorry, I can't get on board with that.  I hope we can hang on to him, if he's really as good as it's been reported.

I don't look at it that I want him to leave. I look at it that when you have top notch people in your organization, whether they're coordinators, assistant GMs, or other front office types or coaches, it is inevitable that they WILL leave, unless you promote them. And the only way you're promoting them is if you fire their boss, which you might not necessarily want to do. So it's just a fact of life in this league that when you hire consistently good people and develop people well, they'll eventually leave once the league gets wind of them and someone offers them a much bigger job. It happened to the Pats throughout their 20 year dynasty. It's just part of the deal. When your seconds-in-command are people like Kevin Abrams and Mike Shula, then you don't have that problem, but you have much bigger problems if people no other team would ever poach away have seats at the table as part of your top braintrust.

So once one accepts the inevitability of good people leaving, it's nice to know that you are getting draft asset compensation for them if they happen to be minority. For me, I'm not actively rooting for Brown to leave. I just view it as an unavoidable of him being good (unless we are firing Schoen very imminently). I felt that way on day one of Brown being hired, and I am pretty sure I posted about it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on January 25, 2024, 01:24:48 PMWe'd want a young up and coming and by all accounts brilliant front office man to leave for some measly third round comp picks?  Sorry, I can't get on board with that.  I hope we can hang on to him, if he's really as good as it's been reported.

I will accept the claim that Brown is brilliant and up-and-coming.  If that is true, why have the Giants' first two drafts been so mediocre?  Surely the contributions of a brilliant assistant would have generated better results.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 01:40:16 PMI will accept the claim that Brown is brilliant and up-and-coming.  If that is true, why have the Giants' first two drafts been so mediocre?  Surely the contributions of a brilliant assistant would have generated better results.
Depends on why they're mediocre. Is it the player themselves, is it the coaching, or a combination?

Additionally, you've said many times that it takes 3-5 years to truly evaluate a draft class. It's only been two for this regime.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Regardless of compensation if you have very talented people in your front office they are going to get poached, regardless of race.

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 01:40:16 PMI will accept the claim that Brown is brilliant and up-and-coming.  If that is true, why have the Giants' first two drafts been so mediocre?  Surely the contributions of a brilliant assistant would have generated better results.

Before asking, "Compared to whom or what?", in no way would I regard the Giants most recent Drafts as "mediocre" whether as a rush to judgment or otherwise. 

Cheers!