News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Joe Schoen year 2

Started by brownelvis54, February 05, 2024, 02:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM....the NY Giants web site was still tracking all the GMs that were interviewed. At this point some guys were on their second interview. The stakes couldn't be higher, the fans had to endure Reese and Gettlemen and at this point had had enough.

The Candidates were plenty and looking back some got GM positions with other teams.

Track the latest interviews conducted by the Giants for their next general manager. Candidates will be announced after each interview is completed.

Completed interviews:

2nd Interview - Adam Peters - San Francisco 49ers Assistant General Manager
2nd Interview - Ryan Poles - Kansas City Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel
2nd Interview - Joe Schoen - Buffalo Bills Assistant General Manager
Ran Carthon - San Francisco 49ers Director of Player Personnel
Joe Hortiz - Baltimore Ravens Director of Player Personnel
Monti Ossenfort - Tennessee Titans Director of Player Personnel
Ryan Cowden - Tennessee Titans Vice President of Player Personnel
Quentin Harris - Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel
Adrian Wilson - Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Pro Personnel

https://www.giants.com/news/general-manager-search-tracker-giants-latest-interviews-candidates-list

To be fair, IMO you cant grade a GM until 10 years has pasted (whether or not) they are still employed by the organization. Some players may take time to show you their value to a team. Add to the fact when he got here, we were broke. Moves money around well, a solid financial GM. I feel he is really good at FA and drafting in the late rounds, the early rounds are yet to be seen.

As of now. What moves do you really like and what moves do you feel were a blunder?

Moves I liked:

Getting rid of Toney and getting a 3rd round pick (I kinda wish we kept it and not used it on Waller)

Getting a 2nd rounder for Leonard Williams

FA pickups: Okereke, Pinnock and Simmons (low risk/ high reward)

It's early but so far Thibs, Banks, Wan'Dale and Hyatt all look like promising players.

Moves I didn't like:

Not picking up Jones 5th year option or he should have accepted the rebuild and moved on from Jones/Barkley

Getting an old Vet like Wink, while having a young new coach, should have went young on DC too. Lets the new young coach mike it "his team" easier.

Neal could be on this list too, but in all fairness he was the highest rated Tackle and our other choices that could have been Cross and Icky are doing no better. Hopefully out new O-line coach can right that part.

The KING is in the building

4 Aces

I was really buying the hype when he was hired. If you'll recall, he seemed to be near the top of everyone's up-and-coming GM list and had his choice betweens several jobs over a 2 year period. Young guy with a link to Parcells, coming from a team doing everything right and with solid connections.

Right now, the HC appears to be a lame duck and their public dysfunction means they can't hire a respectable coaching staff now.

This may actually be a new low. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, you could argue they're even worse off than they were when Schoen took over.

MightyGiants

fun fact-

Ryan Cowden now works for the Giants

New York Giants (2023–present)
Executive advisor to the general manager
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: 4 Aces on February 05, 2024, 02:24:37 PMI was really buying the hype when he was hired. If you'll recall, he seemed to be near the top of everyone's up-and-coming GM list and had his choice betweens several jobs over a 2 year period. Young guy with a link to Parcells, coming from a team doing everything right and with solid connections.

Right now, the HC appears to be a lame duck and their public dysfunction means they can't hire a respectable coaching staff now.

This may actually be a new low. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, you could argue they're even worse off than they were when Schoen took over.

No chance.  They actually have some semblance of a plan.  The moves he's making while he's not hitting 1.000 (and nobody does) at least make sense.  They are better off today than they were when he got here.  How much better remains to be seen.

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on February 05, 2024, 02:13:22 PMJan 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM....the NY Giants web site was still tracking all the GMs that were interviewed. At this point some guys were on their second interview. The stakes couldn't be higher, the fans had to endure Reese and Gettlemen and at this point had had enough.

The Candidates were plenty and looking back some got GM positions with other teams.

Track the latest interviews conducted by the Giants for their next general manager. Candidates will be announced after each interview is completed.

Completed interviews:

2nd Interview - Adam Peters - San Francisco 49ers Assistant General Manager
2nd Interview - Ryan Poles - Kansas City Chiefs Executive Director of Player Personnel
2nd Interview - Joe Schoen - Buffalo Bills Assistant General Manager
Ran Carthon - San Francisco 49ers Director of Player Personnel
Joe Hortiz - Baltimore Ravens Director of Player Personnel
Monti Ossenfort - Tennessee Titans Director of Player Personnel
Ryan Cowden - Tennessee Titans Vice President of Player Personnel
Quentin Harris - Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel
Adrian Wilson - Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Pro Personnel

https://www.giants.com/news/general-manager-search-tracker-giants-latest-interviews-candidates-list

To be fair, IMO you cant grade a GM until 10 years has pasted (whether or not) they are still employed by the organization. Some players may take time to show you their value to a team. Add to the fact when he got here, we were broke. Moves money around well, a solid financial GM. I feel he is really good at FA and drafting in the late rounds, the early rounds are yet to be seen.

As of now. What moves do you really like and what moves do you feel were a blunder?

Moves I liked:

Getting rid of Toney and getting a 3rd round pick (I kinda wish we kept it and not used it on Waller)

Getting a 2nd rounder for Leonard Williams

FA pickups: Okereke, Pinnock and Simmons (low risk/ high reward)

It's early but so far Thibs, Banks, Wan'Dale and Hyatt all look like promising players.

Moves I didn't like:

Not picking up Jones 5th year option or he should have accepted the rebuild and moved on from Jones/Barkley

Getting an old Vet like Wink, while having a young new coach, should have went young on DC too. Lets the new young coach mike it "his team" easier.

Neal could be on this list too, but in all fairness he was the highest rated Tackle and our other choices that could have been Cross and Icky are doing no better. Hopefully out new O-line coach can right that part.

My personal favorite on that list at the time was Joe Hortiz of the Ravens.  I was so enamored with their skill at drafting players year after year that I wanted someone from that org who understood their "secret sauce." 

kartanoman

Another contender whom they considered, but decided to go with Schoen in the end, was Ossenfort, who eventually was signed out here as the GM of the Cardinals, and has done very well post-dumpster 🔥 2022 season.

I'm actually comparing the Giants and Cards to see if one team can rise from its ashes faster than the other. This draft is critical for both teams.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)