News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why do former NYG stars struggle to make clean breaks?

Started by MightyGiants, May 03, 2024, 07:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

You had OJB, then Toney.  Neither seemed to be able to make a clean break with the team and the fans.  Well Barkley just joined that group

QuotePhiladelphia Eagles running back Saquon Barkley joined his teammate, wide receiver AJ Brown, courtside at the New York Knicks-Philadelphia 76ers game on Thursday night.

When cameras caught him cheering on Philly, Giants fans took to X, formerly known as Twitter, and bashed the team's former superstar.

https://x.com/saquon/status/1786244589277352404

https://x.com/saquon/status/1786248843819876695

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/03/philadelphia-eagles-saquon-barkley-claps-back-angry-new-york-giants-fans-go-birds/?taid=6634c2a37de5b70001af7bbd&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 03, 2024, 07:55:11 AMNeither can the ignorant fans.

True, but "fan" is short for "fanatic".  I sort of expect some fans to behave that way, especially ones who really liked Barkley and were hurt or felt betrayed by Barkley joining a despised division rival.   I would think the wealthy players who have a new base of fans supporting them and cheering them couldn't be bothered with the nonsense.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 03, 2024, 08:01:54 AMTrue, but "fan" is short for "fanatic".  I sort of expect some fans to behave that way, especially ones who really liked Barkley and were hurt or felt betrayed by Barkley joining a despised division rival.   I would think the wealthy players who have a new base of fans supporting them and cheering them couldn't be bothered with the nonsense.
Did you ask yourself how you would react?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 03, 2024, 08:19:09 AMDid you ask yourself how you would react?

I have a pretty good idea. I had to fire an employee once for performance. I did it as nicely as possible, but in my mind, a firing is still a firing. A couple of months later, I ran into the employee at a training session. When I ran into her, I said hello and greeted her in a friendly manner (I didn't want to be rude), only to have her completely ignore me. 

That incident didn't bother me in the least because I appreciated that I had fired her, and I just didn't think it would be realistic to be greeted with a warm "Hello, how have you been?  Nice to see you"

The same goes for players leaving a team. If you leave (regardless of reason), some fans will turn against you. It's the nature of the unique form of entertainment we call professional sports.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sjones71

In the case of Barkley I think he's likely very surprised about the response. He was the face of the team and mostly the only reason to watch the team. NFL fans are unforgiving even when there is a reason that greatness falters. I feel like Barkley gave absolutely everything he had. The injuries? Not his fault and his own health and career are compromised because he did it FOR US. Still, going to the Eagles? Ouch. I'm appreciative of what he did for us and won't harshly criticize him, but a little humility about being on the Eagles would go a long way for NYG fans.

babywhales

The New York Giants are a corner stone organization in the NFL.  The TV revenue sharing agreed to in the early 60's by Wellington for the benefit and growth of the NFL is why the NFL is where it is today.

It was said The Duke was the heart and soul of the NFL and The New York Football Giants are not too far behind him.

Players might not like the taxes in New York State but players love being here and hate leaving.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

Quote from: babywhales on May 03, 2024, 08:43:09 AMThe New York Giants are a corner stone organization in the NFL.  The TV revenue sharing agreed to in the early 60's by Wellington for the benefit and growth of the NFL is why the NFL is where it is today.

It was said The Duke was the heart and soul of the NFL and The New York Football Giants are not too far behind him.

Players might not like the taxes in New York State but players love being here and hate leaving.

You can go even further back, in terms of how important the Giants were.   Because they were in NYC, they had more revenue than other teams.  They could get all the new talent they wanted.   Yet, for the good of the league, they agreed to a draft that helped to create parody at the expense of their advantage.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Saquon was minding his business at a basketball game and they showed him on the screen and TV. Fans go after him on X, but the title of the thread is "Why do former NYG stars struggle to make clean breaks?"  :-??  :-??
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 03, 2024, 09:21:16 AMSaquon was minding his business at a basketball game and they showed him on the screen and TV. Fans go after him on X, but the title of the thread is "Why do former NYG stars struggle to make clean breaks?"  :-??  :-??

Tim,

Is there anything easier to ignore than a mean Tweet about you on Twitter?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Believe me Sequin did us a HUGE favor by leaving

Im now a huge Sequin fan from afar "One negative yard at a time then a burst in the 3rd Qtr"

He will kill Philly.  Not that we would not now dominate them regardless.  Their run has ended.  Tommy broke the spell

Also I never got the "Face" part.  What was he a reincarnate Bronco Nagurski?

He was an average back who was drafted 35 slots too high by a deluded novice GM

If you don't believe he was average check his 4.4 YPC- AVERAGE.... and front loaded with occasional long runs to pad the average...... that and a butterfingers approach to catching short passes......not to mention his blocking or lack thereof

Lets see how his face lights up the LINC
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 03, 2024, 09:31:13 AMTim,

Is there anything easier to ignore than a mean Tweet about you on Twitter?
In my view, it's not an issue of the stars making a clean break... it's a misleading title.

I would have said something like, "Jilted Fans Still Mad At Saquon"
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 03, 2024, 09:51:06 AMIn my view, it's not an issue of the stars making a clean break... it's a misleading title.

I would have said something like, "Jilted Fans Still Mad At Saquon"

Tim, having a difference preference for a title is not the same as "misleading".  Seeing something differently than you doesn't make it misleading, it makes it a different perspective
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE