News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Better or Worse

Started by Ed Vette, May 06, 2024, 06:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on May 14, 2024, 10:47:41 AMA savvy analysis and questioning, Ed. In any event, we should expect to see a different approach to Defense from Shane Bowen who, while more Zone-orientated on the back end, has had much more success against the run than did Wink. Still, as you suggest, it can be as much a question of personnel as of positioning.

It may be a while before we get an answer in that regard, but it will still be time better spent wondering about Burns and Thibodeaux than it is for those among us who seem unable to stop hating on Daniel Jones.

Cheers!

And Ojulari. The other hated Player that everyone has given up on. Of course it's not hate. Only the whatabouts call it hate. I call it being realistic.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Painter on May 14, 2024, 10:47:41 AMA savvy analysis and questioning, Ed. In any event, we should expect to see a different approach to Defense from Shane Bowen who, while more Zone-orientated on the back end, has had much more success against the run than did Wink. Still, as you suggest, it can be as much a question of personnel as of positioning.

It may be a while before we get an answer in that regard, but it will still be time better spent wondering about Burns and Thibodeaux than it is for those among us who seem unable to stop hating on Daniel Jones.

Cheers!

My question is will his defense do a much better job of stopping the run.  As horrifically bad as the o-line was in 2023 the run defense wasn't much better.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 13, 2024, 03:54:19 PMI all comes down to positional responsibilities. The 3/4 Mike has more coverage responsibilities and the 3/4 Edge do not. That's why I separate the LB's from the DLine. I am curious if Thibs and Burn have the sand in their pants to transition to DE responsibility. If so, the Giants are a 3 Tech away. Simmons would be my Will and McFadden my Sam.

Ed,

I get your point, and I think Thibs and Burns are going to spend considerable more time trying to be get in the backfield then in coverage.  I could be wrong, but from what Daboll has said about being more of an "attacking" defense, I am guessing those guys will be deployed mostly as penetrators. 

Burns did not grade out as a good run defender which, for me, is why your question/point is a good one. 

I can't help but see another Buffalo similarity here.  Buffalo's DL likes to get up field and disrupt.  And they have mostly been good at it.  Seems like that's the direction Daboll wants this D to go.

Painter

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 14, 2024, 11:19:48 AMEd,

I get your point, and I think Thibs and Burns are going to spend considerable more time trying to be get in the backfield then in coverage.  I could be wrong, but from what Daboll has said about being more of an "attacking" defense, I am guessing those guys will be deployed mostly as penetrators. 

Burns did not grade out as a good run defender which, for me, is why your question/point is a good one. 

I can't help but see another Buffalo similarity here.  Buffalo's DL likes to get up field and disrupt.  And they have mostly been good at it.  Seems like that's the direction Daboll wants this D to go.

Wink's approach was of little benefit to the Giants Rushing Defense whereas Bowen's has had a good history in that area. As for what Burns may or may not bring to the table, it's hard to imagine that Bowen played no role in the decision to trade for him. We shall see, I reckon.

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on May 14, 2024, 12:07:49 PMWink's approach was of little benefit to the Giants Rushing Defense whereas Bowen's has had a good history in that area. As for what Burns may or may not bring to the table, it's hard to imagine that Bowen played no role in the decision to trade for him. We shall see, I reckon.

Cheers!

The absence of a solid 3T and two Receivers who will struggle in Run Support is somewhat concerning for me. Zone coverage will require the ILB's to have Coverage responsibilities. Read and React. I hope it doesn't take three games to get up to speed.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 14, 2024, 12:32:45 PMI hope it doesn't take three games to get up to speed.

It shouldn't be much of a challenge for them to give up less than the 98 total points they did in their first 3 games last year. But then that may be just the optimist inside of me talking.  <:-P

Cheers!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 14, 2024, 12:32:45 PMThe absence of a solid 3T and two Receivers who will struggle in Run Support is somewhat concerning for me. Zone coverage will require the ILB's to have Coverage responsibilities. Read and React. I hope it doesn't take three games to get up to speed.

Do you see McFadden as a good fit for this system?

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on May 14, 2024, 05:59:33 PMDo you see McFadden as a good fit for this system?
Perhaps not.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin