News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on December 14, 2022, 10:49:17 PMExcept that literally never happens after more than 2 full years as a starter.

As long as you ignore Geno Smith
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 15, 2022, 08:06:55 AMAs long as you ignore Geno Smith

Geno Smith started less than two seasons (26 games) before being removed as a starter.  Conversely, DJ will have 55 starts, in fact, DJ will almost have as many GS as Geno Smith's entire 9 year career. I clearly stated three years as a starter; so, your example doesn't work.  The reason I stated three years is examples exist of qb improving in year 3 as a starter, but literally none after year 4. 

Geno actually played really well when given a chance to start in years 3, 4 and 5.  In case you forgot:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/02/when-he-was-last-a-starter-geno-smith-actually-played-pretty-well/

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Yes it is a big game.  But I have a feeling that the brain trust has already set their strategy for the QB position for next year.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 15, 2022, 11:18:54 AMYes it is a big game.  But I have a feeling that the brain trust has already set their strategy for the QB position for next year.

I 100% agree, Rich; IMO, the Giants aren't going to disregard the previous 50 games in favor of the last 5.  I believe they set their strategy at the beginning of this season, reevaluated at the midway point, and will execute regardless of the last handful of games. 

Ed Vette

He failed to come up big in their last game. This game has playoff implications and he needs to show he can come up big in big moments. This is an important metric in his evaluation.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on December 15, 2022, 11:33:32 AMI 100% agree, Rich; IMO, the Giants aren't going to disregard the previous 50 games in favor of the last 5.  I believe they set their strategy at the beginning of this season, reevaluated at the midway point, and will execute regardless of the last handful of games. 
That's not what Schoen said at the bye when asked if there were any contract negotiations with DJ. What reason would he have to lie when he said they weren't finished with the evaluation and had x amount of games left to evaluate him?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 15, 2022, 11:43:15 AMThat's not what Schoen said at the bye when asked if there were any contract negotiations with DJ. What reason would he have to lie when he said they weren't finished with the evaluation and had x amount of games left to evaluate him?

What's the alternative, Ed?  Did you expect Schoen to reveal the Giants long term strategy, while the Giants were still competing for a playoff spot?  What's the benefit of doing so at that time?  There are none, only negatives...hence his response. 

It really is pointless to glean anything from HC and GM press conferences, as they're not going to reveal inner discussion/decisions to the public until it's appropriate to do so. They're a private business, not a publicly traded company; thus, they're under no obligation  to be truthful...

Rambo89

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 15, 2022, 11:18:54 AMYes it is a big game.  But I have a feeling that the brain trust has already set their strategy for the QB position for next year.

I am not sure if they have but it's definitely clear having not worked out an extension yet that they haven't fully made the decision to keep him.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Rambo89 on December 15, 2022, 12:20:43 PMI am not sure if they have but it's definitely clear having not worked out an extension yet that they haven't fully made the decision to keep him.

I didn't say they have decided whether or not to keep him, I said they have finalized their strategy for dealing with the QB position.  There are more factors than deal or no deal.  Who's available at what price, who might they like in the draft, how much do they want their own guy, what is their top number if they make DJ an offer.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Rambo89

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 15, 2022, 12:25:48 PMI didn't say they have decided whether or not to keep him, I said they have finalized their strategy for dealing with the QB position.  There are more factors than deal or no deal.  Who's available at what price, who might they like in the draft, how much do they want their own guy, what is their top number if they make DJ an offer.

I'm not even sure if they've finalized that part of it yet.  Think though to your point they are leaning in a certain direction but having not gone through the combine, pro days, etc. I don't believe they've finalized things.

kingm56

Quote from: Rambo89 on December 15, 2022, 12:28:35 PMI'm not even sure if they've finalized that part of it yet.  Think though to your point they are leaning in a certain direction but having not gone through the combine, pro days, etc. I don't believe they've finalized things.

If CFO/CEO of a 4+ billon dollar company doesn't have a projected strategy for the next year mapped out, where in big trouble. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on December 15, 2022, 11:54:24 AMWhat's the alternative, Ed?  Did you expect Schoen to reveal the Giants long term strategy, while the Giants were still competing for a playoff spot?  What's the benefit of doing so at that time?  There are none, only negatives...hence his response. 

It really is pointless to glean anything from HC and GM press conferences, as they're not going to reveal inner discussion/decisions to the public until it's appropriate to do so. They're a private business, not a publicly traded company; thus, they're under no obligation  to be truthful...
Why not say that they're committed to Jones? If they were, wouldn't it be best for him and the team at that point? They could always change their minds down the road. It's not going to affect their off season negotiations. How would that hurt them to reveal that? Explain.

They weren't at that point and that's why he said they are still evaluating him.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on December 15, 2022, 12:50:45 PMIf CFO/CEO of a 4+ billon dollar company doesn't have a projected strategy for the next year mapped out, where in big trouble. 

Well sure they have a strategy but as to them having already finalized who is the player that they will target to be their starting QB in 2023, I don't believe that has been determined yet.

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 15, 2022, 12:53:26 PMWhy not say that they're committed to Jones? If they were, wouldn't it be best for him and the team at that point? They could always change their minds down the road. It's not going to affect their off season negotiations. How would that hurt them to reveal that? Explain.

They weren't at that point and that's why he said they are still evaluating him.

That's my point, Ed. They're not committed to Jones; if they were, the answer would be different.  I'm a big fan of paying attention to actions over words.  Concerning the former, clearly the Giants have a strategy mapped-out that doesn't include Jones as their long-term/franchise QB.  If they did, they would have exercised his 5th year option, or given a vote of confidence by approaching his agent on a new deal.  They did neither, which reveals their plan.  I think we might be in violent agreement in that we both believe the Giants relative draft position may force them to offer DJ a 2/3 year deal in the 20/25 million dollar deal, or use the rarely used transition tag. Where we differ is I don't believe the next few games will alter the Giants current plan.