News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

your top 5 positions of need in order by Draft or FA?

Started by Jaime, February 05, 2023, 02:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime

1) QB: After we let Dimes walk, We Draft a QB in the 1st Rd. Hey, Dimes had a hell of a Season proving he is a legit Franchise QB. It's just the timing of a 40 mill contract hamstrings us going forward.

2) WR: Draft in the 2nd Rd. I like how a seemingly undermanned Unit of WR's & TE's got the job done in crunch time. Don't want to overpay a FA here. Stoked to develop our Receiver Unit with the addition a sizeable burner.

3) RB: No way do I pony up 14 Mill for an injury prone RB., or any RB for that matter.  In spite of Barkley being hugely popular, he's just a poor ROI.
Sign a Cap friendly Vet (under 8 Mill) and Draft a RB in the 3rd Rd.

4) C: Wise to spend our FA $ on a Vet here to stabilize our OL with a sure thing.

5) MLB: Another huge hole that we need to plug with a Vet FA.

So my BBH Brethren, what say you? 

GloryDays

All reasonable except your point #1 is pure lunacy. The most important position in football, a player that every team tries hard to find a reliable one and many fail, even with their top picks; we finally have one who is ready to perform at a top level and you think because starting QBs command a high salary, we should just go back and try looking for one?!!!!!

Rambo89

A lot of how they will address their needs will be dependent upon what is done with Jones.  The cap number he'll get will determine how much they have left to address other needs.  If by some chance they can't come to an agreement and he walks then you have to address replacing him.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

bamagiantfan

Quote from: GloryDays on February 05, 2023, 04:47:54 AMAll reasonable except your point #1 is pure lunacy. The most important position in football, a player that every team tries hard to find a reliable one and many fail, even with their top picks; we finally have one who is ready to perform at a top level and you think because starting QBs command a high salary, we should just go back and try looking for one?!!!!!

Oh, so many times on this board I have read how if Daniel Jones could just cut down on the turnovers and make better use of his physical talent to run the ball he could be a playoff caliber QB. Now he has done that, with a marginally talented cast around him at every position but one, yet some want to cut him loose and go find a different QB. My response to that is this simple question, "How long has Cleveland been trying to replace their QB? Chicago? The Jets" It isn't as easy as some think. Remember when Detroit was losing but they gave Stafford that huge contract? They kept the one thing they knew they had and built around that, eventually trading him to improve the team, a trade which had to include another proven QB in return.

The trust Daboll had in Daniel Jones at the end of the season told me all I need to know. I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if he is wearing another uniform next year.

Now, to your question, in no particular order.
1. I think a backup swing tackle could be very high on the list. Neal will get every opportunity to succeed (or fail) as a first round pick, but the playoff game against Philly should have shown everyone where the weakest link is in this Offense.

2. Some FA RB help doesn't feel like a big need to me. I think some upgrades are possible but the 3 Bs in the backfield currently are fine. If Barkley walks then there are several guys in Free agency that would fit in nicely in a rotation without spending very much. Don't try to replace Barkley with another 3 down back who gets spot rest. Get a back who can convert in short yardage (Foreman?) and an all purpose backup (Drake?)to rotate with Breida for the eventual injuries that will surely come.

3. You can never have enough CBs and the great ones go high in the draft. A CB should always be on the board as an option in Round 1.

4. All of the Teams in the playoffs except perhaps the Giants had a real weapon at TE. I'm not selling Bellinger short, but I don't see him developing as a threatening TE. I would much rather see a TE catching those short passes in the middle of the field rather than James.

5. Upgrade at MLB. I was not happy with the MLB play during the season. The Giants brought in a couple of guys in free agency who made a lot of tackles, all of them too far down the field for me. It wouldn't be hard to get better there.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

drewsg

Center - I believe even an above average center would solidify the offensive line into something that can produce offense.

IDL - zero depth behind Dex and Leo. Need depth that can lock down the run, especially when Dex and Leo are out.

WR - not as big a need as Center or IDL. Wan'Dale is coming back, Hodgins will be back. We have our #2 and #3 receiver. I would love to get a #1, but I think center and IDL are the priorities.

LB - need a LB that can fly sideline to sideline

DaveBrown74

The reality is we have needs almost everywhere. Even in areas where you like our starters, our depth is highly suspect.

If I'm being asked to rank our needs, positional value matters a lot, at least to me, and I'm pretty sure it matters a lot to Schoen too. With positional value in mind, I would consider WR and CB our top two needs. Those two needs will be very difficult to address in a tangible way outside of the first two or possibly three rounds of the draft. There's a chance we could sign a corner, but the receiver FA class is absolutely terrible. Barring a scenario where they attempt a blockbuster trade for someone like a Tee Higgins, my guess is we will draft at least one receiver in the first couple rounds of the draft.

Looking at our other needs:

1. ILB: We are awful at this position. Truly awful. We need serious help here. Fortunately, the FA class is very good for ILBs, and there should be good ones still in rounds 3-4, where we presently have three picks. I think the odds are good we use FA to get a solid player, and then still draft someone on day two or three.

2. OL: We could use a swing tackle for sure, particularly if they are worried that Neal might be a bust, in which case the tackle could be more than just a swing guy. In addition, we need help on the IOL. The most obvious need to me is OC, where I think drafting a high quality OC in the mid-rounds makes sense. They could bring back Feliciano on a cheap one year deal to pave the way for the new OC, or even start the rookie in week one with Feliciano as the backup. At OG, we need help as well. Let's call a spade a spade: our guards stink. We don't have one good one at the moment. So again, FA is an option here, but we need to draft at least one as well.

3. DT: We need a third DT badly. Ellis was almost as bad as Danny Shelton. We are missing having someone like BJ Hill on the team. This needs to be addressed. You can have two good DTs, but if your third one is terrible you're going to be exposed there. We just need a solid, tough, dependable player at this position, not a star. Obviously, in the event they cut Leo, then this position becomes a huge need.

4.RB: If we keep Barkley, this is a relatively minor need compared to the others, although I still think we need to add some young talent/fresh legs in the RB room. Brightwell may be underrated, but I would like one more respectable young player added into the mix. If Barkley stays, then this is a day three need. If Barkley goes, then they should be looking for his replacement on day two and still adding one more in the 5th or 6th round. We need to get younger and cheaper at this position, and there is no need to be spending tons of money on it.

5. Edge: We do have two promising young edge players, but neither are legitimately proven yet, both seem injury-prone, and then we have little else beyond the team of them. Ximines had a nice start to the season but faded. Ward is not a pass rusher. We need that third guy. I think it would make a huge difference.

6. TE: We really have nothing outside of Bellinger, who looks like a fine young player but isn't going to be a star. I wouldn't mind seeing them grab another TE they like on day three.

7. S: Our safety situation isn't bad, but it would not hurt to add another one.

So as you might have noticed, I have listed practically every position in football here. That's the reality of where we are right now. We need help just about everywhere. With that in mind, they should use free agency to attack the non-premium positions like IOL and ILB, and use the draft for the more premium positions like WR and CB.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: bamagiantfan on February 05, 2023, 06:24:49 AMOh, so many times on this board I have read how if Daniel Jones could just cut down on the turnovers and make better use of his physical talent to run the ball he could be a playoff caliber QB. Now he has done that, with a marginally talented cast around him at every position but one, yet some want to cut him loose and go find a different QB. My response to that is this simple question, "How long has Cleveland been trying to replace their QB? Chicago? The Jets" It isn't as easy as some think. Remember when Detroit was losing but they gave Stafford that huge contract? They kept the one thing they knew they had and built around that, eventually trading him to improve the team, a trade which had to include another proven QB in return.

For me the issue isn't Jones, but that marginally talented cast around him.  Pay him the $35-40 million market value and their chances of making significant improvements in that marginally talented cast around him, AND the slightly less marginally talented defense drops significantly.

Yes it isn't easy to find a franchise QB.  However 2 points:

1) it is easier to build a top to bottom strong roster and win with a good game manager QB - or even the lowliest ranked raw rookie QB as we saw with the 9ers.  And your roster can elevate a good QB to Pro-bowl level play, as we are seeing with Hurts and Dak.

2) one of the reasons that it is hard to 'find' a franchise QB is that there aren't many teams/coaches who know how to develop a rookie QB, and highly drafted QBs usually go to lousy teams.  It would be an interesting study to identify the QBs who were highly rated in college but flopped as pros and who the top 3 - HC, OC, and QB coach - were and what the strength of the roster was of the drafting team.  There are a lot of moving parts in developing a franchise QB. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jaime on February 05, 2023, 02:30:45 AM1) QB: After we let Dimes walk, We Draft a QB in the 1st Rd. Hey, Dimes had a hell of a Season proving he is a legit Franchise QB. It's just the timing of a 40 mill contract hamstrings us going forward.

I could not agree more.  The Giants wasted his cheap years and there's no going back.  To have a QB on a rookie contract and doing such a poor job of building a roster just shows how incompetent the ancien regime was.

As to drafting a QB, the guy who intrigues me in this draft is Anthony Richardson.  A lot of what I've read about him is reminiscent of what they were saying about Josh Allen.  But if Schoen/Daboll/Kafka don't love him I'd be content with them starting Taylor or a cheap vet and taking a step back and going for their QB in 2024.  Without the millstone of a big Jones' contract they should be able to build a very solid roster with the resources they would have in 2023 and 2024.

I also agree that C and ILB are positions where they should look for a FA that doesn't break the bank, but I'd also like to see them double down and draft those positions as well.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

fromthebside

What is this 40 million dollars everyone keeps throwing around?  No one is paying him that.  He will have suitors but not at that amount.  He's getting a prove-it contract of 20 to 25 mill.  He has to show that he elevated a subpar receiving crew and can excel with better weapons.  I see SF, Tenn, and the entire NFC south looking at him.  Is he elite?  Don't know for sure, probably not.  But he will be starting somewhere next season at less than 40 million per.  And in regards to Richardson, the Giants are in no position to get in to a bidding war to give up picks and players for a huge question mark.  People are having wet dreams over the physical traits, hoping he can turn in to the next Allen.  I would do it if he was more of a "surer" thing.  He's got a lot of work to do.  Right now, all of the "top" QBs are supposedly going top 10.  I foresee a high ransom to get in to the top 10.

Jaime

Glory, Regarding why we should let Dimes walk? I would point to the two Posts by AZ. I couldn't say it any better than that. Also, another factor that seems to fly under the radar, for what it's worth, GM Joe Schien didn't draft Dimes. I'm a Fan of Dimes, I had him in my Mock. And all that baloney spouted by the talking heads that Dimes was drafted too early, was just that. I forget who exactly, but later it was mentioned by credible sources that there were two Teams that wanted Dimes before our 16th Pick.

bside, welcome aboard. I'm thinking Dimes just had his "prove it year". He held onto the ball, a three to one ratio of TD's to Picks, he stayed healthy, showed what his wheels could do, threw for over 3,000 with our Roster, and proved he could take a shot and then some. That 40 Mill number, is consistant with all I've read and heard. Wish it wasn't, but it is. There is even the possibility that Dimes could still call Metlife Stadium his home, but be wearing Green.

Ed Vette

What if Jones isn't signed before the draft and they don't like where the talks are at that time? If Richardson is within reach, it's not beyond the realm of possibility for them to trade up or if he's sitting there for them to take him. Or any other QB they like in the draft.

It's an unlikely scenario since the deadline to tag is March 7th and Free Agency signings begin on March 15th. The NFL draft is April 27th.

What if they Tag Jones to trade him? They can get less than the two first round requirement but still get a first and another pick. I doubt they would dick Jones around like that.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

Assuming, Jones is re-signed.

1) LB
2) WR
3) IOL
4) CB

Jolly Blue Giant

1) Vertical threat WR
2) High-end Center
3&4) toss up between MLB and DE/DT
5) TE
6-11) IOL, Punter, IOL, WR, WR, RB
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GloryDays

Quote from: Jaime on February 06, 2023, 02:16:28 AMGlory, Regarding why we should let Dimes walk? I would point to the two Posts by AZ. I couldn't say it any better than that. Also, another factor that seems to fly under the radar, for what it's worth, GM Joe Schien didn't draft Dimes. I'm a Fan of Dimes, I had him in my Mock. And all that baloney spouted by the talking heads that Dimes was drafted too early, was just that. I forget who exactly, but later it was mentioned by credible sources that there were two Teams that wanted Dimes before our 16th Pick.

bside, welcome aboard. I'm thinking Dimes just had his "prove it year". He held onto the ball, a three to one ratio of TD's to Picks, he stayed healthy, showed what his wheels could do, threw for over 3,000 with our Roster, and proved he could take a shot and then some. That 40 Mill number, is consistant with all I've read and heard. Wish it wasn't, but it is. There is even the possibility that Dimes could still call Metlife Stadium his home, but be wearing Green.
Jaime, ok, let's dissect AZ's reasoning that Jones should be let go and replaced with a low cost alternative, to allow us to fix the other areas on the roster.
low cost usually means through the draft because if it is through free agency, it must be a failing QB that others dont want and it only saves us less than half of Jones salary. So then the alternative is the draft. How many teams, in recent history, have drafted quality starting QBs in the lower half of the first round, vs those whose picks have failed, wrecking the team for 3-4 years due to that pick, to then have to start over. How many, or what percentage of those teams got to the playoffs with that QB?
Almost all good starting QBs drafted go through a 2-3 year learning curve. Jones' has taken 4 years for reasons we should all know. But this season, as you agree, shows he has come around and knows how to win. We paid the price already, but you and AZ seem to suggest that because of the high salaries that starting QBs are paid,we should keep drafting one, every 4 years, hoping we hit the jackpot every time and we get a couple of good years out of the pick?!
that to me is twisted logic, with all due rwspect.

Rambo89

Quote from: GloryDays on February 06, 2023, 11:42:08 AMJaime, ok, let's dissect AZ's reasoning that Jones should be let go and replaced with a low cost alternative, to allow us to fix the other areas on the roster.
low cost usually means through the draft because if it is through free agency, it must be a failing QB that others dont want and it only saves us less than half of Jones salary. So then the alternative is the draft. How many teams, in recent history, have drafted quality starting QBs in the lower half of the first round, vs those whose picks have failed, wrecking the team for 3-4 years due to that pick, to then have to start over. How many, or what percentage of those teams got to the playoffs with that QB?
Almost all good starting QBs drafted go through a 2-3 year learning curve. Jones' has taken 4 years for reasons we should all know. But this season, as you agree, shows he has come around and knows how to win. We paid the price already, but you and AZ seem to suggest that because of the high salaries that starting QBs are paid,we should keep drafting one, every 4 years, hoping we hit the jackpot every time and we get a couple of good years out of the pick?!
that to me is twisted logic, with all due rwspect.

If the Giants are going QB in the first round of this draft it will most likely be because they traded up to get one.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18