News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

We have a WR who sports 4.31 speed

Started by Jaime, June 04, 2023, 12:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime

Heard this news a couple nites ago on SNY. The Free Agent WR Paris Campbell that we signed this Off-season, reportedly ran a 4.31 at his Combine. He had his best season as a Pro in 2022. 63 Catches, 623 yards and 3 TD's.
Read he's the top of the food chain in the Slot. So, Mini Camp should give us a clue to Campbell's status.

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jaime on June 04, 2023, 12:45:55 AMHeard this news a couple nites ago on SNY. The Free Agent WR Paris Campbell that we signed this Off-season, reportedly ran a 4.31 at his Combine. He had his best season as a Pro in 2022. 63 Catches, 623 yards and 3 TD's.
Read he's the top of the food chain in the Slot. So, Mini Camp should give us a clue to Campbell's status.

Jaime: Good to hear from you. Campbell's a mystery to me (so far). It won't take long to know the answer, though.

My observations:

(1) hasn't played for a good coaching staff.
(2) His QB's were Brissett in 2017 & 2019, Rivers in 2020, Wentz in 2021 and Ryan last year. A QB carousel is not a recipe for NFL success unless the QB/WR played together in college.  It even took a while for Tom Brady to get the hang of playing with an aging Randy Moss. 

My conclusion: due to the above factors, IMO, there are more reasons right now to be optimistic than not.

The coaches will set him up to succeed.

Let me put it this way... they got the most out of last year's Giants WR crew, none of whom had near the talent or skill that Campbell brings to the team.  The key will be how willing he is to accept coaching and his role.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 04, 2023, 09:48:02 AMJaime: Good to hear from you. Campbell's a mystery to me (so far). It won't take long to know the answer, though.

My observations:

(2) His QB's were Brissett in 2017 & 2019, Rivers in 2020, Wentz in 2021 and Ryan last year. A QB carousel is not a recipe for NFL success unless the QB/WR played together in college.  It even took a while for Tom Brady to get the hang of playing with an aging Randy Moss. 

My conclusion: due to the above factors, IMO, there are more reasons right now to be optimistic than not.

Let me put it this way... they got the most out of last year's Giants WR crew, none of whom had near the talent or skill that Campbell brings to the team.  The key will be how willing he is to accept coaching and his role.

Bob

I totally agree with this analysis Bob.

The fact that he has never had even league-average QB play and that he has had a lot of injuries lead me to think people are sleeping on him a little. While I don't see him ever becoming a star, I think he could end up being quite solid for us if we can keep him healthy (huge "if" with our training staff).

bamagiantfan

I hope the Giants are right about Campbell. He was sort of an enigma in college as a guy who ran shorter routes with 4.31 speed.

I don't think he had that speed the last two years but he might be getting back to full health. He had three surgeries his rookie year, including one on his foot, and then tore his MCL and ACL the next season. Frankly, he was too often missing in action and just plain terrible when he was on the field prior to the 2022 season. I'm not a fan of Campbell but hope he finally lives up to the hype he garnered when he was drafted. There has been a lot of talk about Waller and "if he can stay healthy". I am not sure how Parris Campbell has escaped that same criticism.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: bamagiantfan on June 04, 2023, 10:08:11 AMI hope the Giants are right about Campbell. He was sort of an enigma in college as a guy who ran shorter routes with 4.31 speed.

I don't think he had that speed the last two years but he might be getting back to full health. He had three surgeries his rookie year, including one on his foot, and then tore his MCL and ACL the next season. Frankly, he was too often missing in action and just plain terrible when he was on the field prior to the 2022 season. I'm not a fan of Campbell but hope he finally lives up to the hype he garnered when he was drafted. There has been a lot of talk about Waller and "if he can stay healthy". I am not sure how Parris Campbell has escaped that same criticism.

I don't know if it's so much that he has escaped criticism as it is that he just hasn't been as talked about. Waller has put up elite level NFL seasons before. Campbell never has. So naturally, fans are going to be more focused on Waller, with the hopes that he can return to what he was a few years ago.

However, I think what Campbell did last year with a decrepit Matty Ice and Nick Foles as his QBs shows he has NFL-worthy ability. If he can build on last season's performance with the better QB play and offensive play calling than he had in Indy, then I think he will be well worth the relatively moderate capital investment we have made in him.

andrew_nyGiants

Mr. Campbell is going to surprise almost everyone except our coaching staff this season.

Best under the radar off-season move so far IMVHO
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

I think the bottom line with our receivers this year (and Campbell is very much part of this statement) is that we now have enough interesting guys that we should have four or five receivers on this team who are at least "pretty good." That has not been the case in recent years. Obviously, at least one or two of these commonly mentioned names like Campbell, Robinson, Hodgins, Hyatt, Slayton, etc will probably be either hurt or a bit disappointing, but this is easily the deepest group we have had in years. Don't forget we also have some interesting peripheral guys like Collin Johnson and Bryce Ford Wheaton. Not to mention capable, proven vets like Jamison Crowder and Shep.

I think it's going to be an incredible camp battle, and the coaching staff/FO are going to have some tough decisions to make during final cut-downs. I actually think special teams viability will be a big key in making some of these borderline decisions.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 04, 2023, 09:48:02 AMJaime: Good to hear from you. Campbell's a mystery to me (so far). It won't take long to know the answer, though.

My observations:

Bob

Bob,

I have always felt that when a good QB and receiver pair up, they gain an advantage the longer they play together (QBs learn the receiver's tells and body language, and the receiver better understands his QB), much like we see when O-lines play together for extended periods.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 04, 2023, 10:40:17 AMI think the bottom line with our receivers this year (and Campbell is very much part of this statement) is that we now have enough interesting guys that we should have four or five receivers on this team who are at least "pretty good." That has not been the case in recent years. Obviously, at least one or two of these commonly mentioned names like Campbell, Robinson, Hodgins, Hyatt, Slayton, etc will probably be either hurt or a bit disappointing, but this is easily the deepest group we have had in years. Don't forget we also have some interesting peripheral guys like Collin Johnson and Bryce Ford Wheaton. Not to mention capable, proven vets like Jamison Crowder and Shep.

I think it's going to be an incredible camp battle, and the coaching staff/FO are going to have some tough decisions to make during final cut-downs. I actually think special teams viability will be a big key in making some of these borderline decisions.

Kinda like playing the lottery.  The more tickets you buy...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 04, 2023, 10:41:22 AMKinda like playing the lottery.  The more tickets you buy...

Indeed, more bites at the apple.

Let's hope some of these guys offer better odds than your average billion dollar powerball ticket though.  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: bamagiantfan on June 04, 2023, 10:08:11 AMI hope the Giants are right about Campbell. He was sort of an enigma in college as a guy who ran shorter routes with 4.31 speed.

bama: The "good news" is that even if they're wrong, they've got a pretty deep WR bench now. I root for Campbell BECAUSE to the majority of fans (maybe even coaches) it's going to be a surprise IMO if the Giants get more out of him than the Colts/Buckeyes did.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 04, 2023, 10:40:25 AMBob,

I have always felt that when a good QB and receiver pair up, they gain an advantage the longer they play together (QBs learn the receiver's tells and body language, and the receiver better understands his QB), much like we see when O-lines play together for extended periods.

Yeah, you probably believed that because it's 100 percent true. LOL  Good point. Bob

Ed Vette

97 receptions out of 135 targets over his career but only 6 drops.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin