News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Man, can DeVito spin it!

Started by Jaime, August 12, 2023, 12:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime

Admittedly, I never saw DeVito play a lick. At 6'-2" 200 lbs. I thought he was too small for the NFL, I couldn't have been more wrong. He can make all the throws. Frozen ropes with laser accuracy. Superb touch on the deep ball. He can throw on the run too. DeVito has good pocket presence, he can buy time by sliding away from presser.
He has all of the above plus, he's got the wheels to complete the his outstanding skill set.
Methinks it would behoove us to sign DeVito to a five year deal with reasonable Backup salary =D>

Dgoodmantrublu

I thought his accuracy was terrible. Especially if at all off platform. Not high on him at all.

Jaime

Are we talking bout the same game?
Thanks to some horrific OL play, DeVito was under duress the entire Game ~X(

AZGiantFan

I wonder if he has replaced Davis Webb in the affections of the ex-member who shall not be named.  LOL
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

GloryDays

I agree Jaime. DeVito was not perfect, far from it, but for a rookie, playing his first NFL game behind a bad Oline, his play was admirable imo.
He should make our team as the back up QB, saving the team over $5million.

DaveBrown74

I mostly liked what Devito did last night and think he should be on the practice squad this year. See how he does, and then consider the possibility of having him compete for a backup role next year.

By next year (if not sooner), we should be contending. The backup role is serious, especially with a running QB like Jones, who is at constant risk of injury. It's nice to be enthusiastic about Devito and I'm not saying he definitely can't be the 2024 backup, but I think we are a little ways from that point. And I definitely think there should be other QBs considered, whether TT is one or not. I wouldn't just anoint DeVito because he threw for 155 yards on 24 attempts in a preseason game against backups.

Dgoodmantrublu

Everytime he threw when running to the right his throws were way off target. That is not good for a guy who's calling card is his mobility.

Quote from: Jaime on August 12, 2023, 01:37:41 AMAre we talking bout the same game?
Thanks to some horrific OL play, DeVito was under duress the entire Game ~X(

AZGiantFan

Quote from: GloryDays on August 12, 2023, 04:51:08 AMI agree Jaime. DeVito was not perfect, far from it, but for a rookie, playing his first NFL game behind a bad Oline, his play was admirable imo.
He should make our team as the back up QB, saving the team over $5million.

It wouldn't save them nearly that much because most of Taylor's money is guaranteed.  They'd have 4.1 million and 1.4 million in dead money for 2023 and 2024 respectively and only 2.8 million in CAP saving, according to Over the Cap.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jaime

I really don't know what DeVito can make happen beyond what he put on the field vs. Gang Green? All of his swing passes were on target and in sink with the RB. He hit all of his Timing patterns on the $.  DeVito was once again under constant duress. He felt the pressure and slid around the Pocket and bought time like a Vet. He made a couple nice runs.  I can't recall him making a bad throw? His WR's had three or four drops on well thrown balls, On his Int. the WR quit on the Route. And how bout that case of Alligator Arms on that Seam pass.  Hope TE Sweeny is back soon. Just never saw DeVito get flustered, no matter what!

After DeVito's performance vs. Gang Green, you detractors still think he'll clear Waivers?
Can't recall Carl Banks exact words, but it was akin to stating that "DeVito is an NFL QB".
I'm confident DeVito will be on somebody's Roster this Season, I just hope it's ours...

MagicRat

I think the hope would be practice squad but I do worry about him clearing waivers.
Smell my cheese you mother!

RelaxTension

Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

After what we saw with 49ers QBs, this is going to be an interesting decision for the Giants.

One thing is certain, he learns from mistakes, he can read a field - knows when to run, and is literally improving each game. His post game video with Paul Dottino was excellent. Take a look at his eyes and passion for the game in that video. It's apparent. He reminds me of Mack Jones. If he goes to waivers someone is going to take a shot. I think the Giants know this.

killarich

I thought he looked good, even on the run he made decent decisions.... I feel like if Jones went down for a game ... and we game planned to focus primarily on Barkley he could fill in

Who knows he may even look better with the 1's and slightly better pass protection

Slugsy-Narrows

I think DeVito gets cut.

I still don't see a team picking him to be their #2 and cutting a vet with legit game exp for him.

Could they grab him for a 3rd?  Maybe but still a reach for someone with limited game exp at the pro level.

But what do I know lol!