News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So, everybody still want Daboll back next season?

Started by Jaime, October 30, 2023, 02:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime

I was done with Daboll after  the Seattle Game. The Team was a no show for the Dallas Game. Totally unprepared for that one.
Next home game vs. Seattle, we fail to show up for that one as well. I've seen enough at that point.  Can't fire last year's Coach of the Year?
Well after today's debacle, Daboll's termination on Black Monday looms large.

What say you my BBH Brethern?

UKGiantsFan

Have to say I'm somewhat open minded about it. But if we do dump him we can't give Schoen a free pass... He built the team and everywhere you look there have been miscalculations on what we have and errors that left us short at key positions. It's almost like the worst bits of Reese and Gettleman we're reincarnated and came to haunt us!

Having 8 WR's active yesterday said it all. With the best will in the world - not to mention a healthy starting QB which we don't have - in a game where it's windy and pissing down we were always gonna throw a lot less. Instead, we had a bunch of guys doing nothing, lost our starting almost non-blocking TE and moved our all-around TE from playing the quasi-FB role impacting further on the game plan.

Mara won't push, so unless Dabes jumps or has a meltdown ala Judge, he'll be back. But both should be put on notice having gone swiftly from Bono's to Bozo's tied together in lock step

Gmo11

Absolutely. You realize if Gano makes that kick Daboll would have won a game against a quality defense without QB1, QB2, his stud LT, his starting RT, and his best receiver in Waller?

Now I would have gone for it on 4th and 1.  And if he knew Gano was compromised it's certainly a questionable decision to kick it at all. And yes, if Devito is on the team he should be allowed to throw the ball. But did any of his throws inspire confidence that he could complete a forward pass? The Jets best chance at offense was with their defense. Daboll felt his best chance to win was to allow his defense to pitch a shutout without getting in their way and for the most part he was right.

They had no business being in that game after Waller and Taylor went down. He did what he had to do no matter how it would make him look because he knew it was his only chance. He's not perfect, but I'll gladly take him back. 

katkavage

No matter, he is coming back. But the seat will be hot next year. I give him that to show me he has learned from his many mistakes this year. I want to see that.

Messiah717

3-6-1 to end last season and now 2-6 this season.  5-12-1 and going to gets worse by the end of this season will have him on the year three hot seat.  Anyway you slice it, coming out losing 40-0 to start the season set the tone. 

Torus34

Were it not for the number of players injured, the game against the Jets would have been a real knee-slapper. I came away hoping that none of the injuries would prove to be serious. I also came away hoping that the NFL draft pick system would work in the Giant's favor for next year.

Go, Big Blue.

DaveBrown74

Yes, I want him back. He showed me enough last year that I know he is capable of being good. The Giants have struggled big time this year, and while some of that is on him, we have also played a murderer's row schedule and have had a ton of injuries, which are not really his fault at all. Whether fans want him to or not, he's coming back. And so is Schoen. And they should. Let's not forget what was handed to these men. Giants fans are right to be pissed off about yesterday, but the guy was in the game until the end with a third string QB who has never played in the NFL before, and we lost because our kicker couldn't make a 35 yarder.

Am I completely absolving Daboll of this season? Absolutely not. He has made mistakes for sure. But fire him based on one season after what he did last year with the team that was handed to him? No chance. And I would add that if the Giants were to do that and placate the bloodthirsty fan base, it will be fourth time in a row we have fired a coach after two seasons. And this time it will be someone who is respected around the league and who just won coach of the year. Let me ask you a question: how easy do you think it will be to attract quality candidates to replace Daboll if you fire him this year?

Also, Daboll is Schoen's guy, and Schoen pushed to have him be the coach here. So can I assume you want to fire Schoen too? Because Schoen isn't going to be on board with firing Daboll.

I understand all the emotion right now, but I think this is a far-fetched idea, and I don't think it's in the best long term interests of the organization.

B1GBLUE

I think of all the 2 year coaches we have had recently, he's probably the best of em. he's having a crap year. no doubt about it. but i think he's learning how to survive in the nfl. he's not doing a great job of it right now, but if he can learn from it and not make the same mistakes twice, i can let it go. but if they decided to go another direction right now, i wouldnt be upset. hes like, D- territory right now.

RelaxTension

No way Dabs isn't on the sideline for this team next season.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Bob In PA

Quote from: RelaxTension on October 30, 2023, 07:57:41 AMNo way Dabs isn't on the sideline for this team next season.

The coach didn't lose yesterday's game.

After the injury to Taylor, he did the only thing he could do... rely on his best player to win the game alone.

The ONE AND ONLY thing Daboll did yesterday that should be questioned is his failure to rely on the team's best player to win on 4th down and short by making the final first-down that would have ended the game. Rather, and knowing his kicker (1) was dealing with an injury and (2) had already missed what (for him) was an easy field goal, he chose to ABANDON the strategy that got him one play from winning the game.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jgrangers2

He's coming back. The only way you can possibly not want him back is if you truly think this roster is better than it is or you think a coach should be a magician who can drag 50 guys off the street and make it work. The smoke and mirrors worked last year, but was doomed to fail once the league caught on. At some point, the talent you are given has to be better than the guys across from them. Other people have mentioned it, but the Giants have had a revolving door on the O-line and could be going with their 3rd string QB for at least one more week.

Talk about his decision making all you want, but ultimately, I couldn't care less about it. He has a team that has absolutely no margin for error because the offense is so limited. How he manages games with this roster will likely not resemble how he manages with a better one.

Ed Vette

Jaime, he's made some bad decisions this season for sure. Sometimes it's a flip of the coin as to what the right decision is. I think we have to stop the two year HC firings unless the Coach loses the team. He hasn't. Although he's no spring chicken, with some support, he will learn hopefully and work through this.

As for Schoen, he has this team cap strapped where they couldn't even bring in an experienced backup to Taylor and his injury history and... he let Gano go into that game with a bad knee when he clearly needs to be put on IR. He let Phillips walk when he was clearly the best backup Tackle, although that's a partnership decision.

As for the Receivers, none of them were open when TT was still in the game. As Ceri said.

I also think he supported Jones because the owner fell in love and that two year out reeked of placeholder.

The team is still building. He needs another year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

A surefire way to stay bad for a long time is to ride the head coach merry-go-round.  Changing head coaches and schemes costs teams talent.   Each new head coach inherits the players of the last regime, and there are always going to be square pegs trying to fit the round holes of the new coaching schemes.

I have not seen enough to date to say that Daboll is incapable of being a quality head coach in the NFL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Good Gosh! Talk about fickle and rash...get a grip! Snap your fingers, get someone better. That should be easy for a team which has had 4 HCs and just 2 winning seasons and single (last season) PO win in a decade.

No excuses but before we cut our wrists, how about fielding a healthy starting QB behind something better than a Division 2 Oline? In any event, it shouldn't be too hard to get Joe Judge to again leave the 2-6 Patriots.

Cheers!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 09:48:08 AMJaime, he's made some bad decisions this season for sure. Sometimes it's a flip of the coin as to what the right decision is. I think we have to stop the two year HC firings unless the Coach loses the team. He hasn't. Although he's no spring chicken, with some support, he will learn hopefully and work through this.

As for Schoen, he has this team cap strapped where they couldn't even bring in an experienced backup to Taylor and his injury history and... he let Gano go into that game with a bad knee when he clearly needs to be put on IR. He let Phillips walk when he was clearly the best backup Tackle, although that's a partnership decision.

As for the Receivers, none of them were open when TT was still in the game. As Ceri said.

I also think he supported Jones because the owner fell in love and that two year out reeked of placeholder.

The team is still building. He needs another year.

Surely they could find some cap space if they really wanted to right?  But it seems like they haven't made a certain amount of roster moves to avoid playing that shell game.