News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you feel about the direction this team is going? Guests Can Vote.

Started by Ed Vette, April 29, 2024, 03:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your level of enthusiasm?

B1GBLUE

the direction is headed the right way. stacking up the defense, which is always a good thing. good young pass rushers, elite dt, solid MLB, secondary gaining depth- gotta hope a couple of the young guys turn out to be something.

Receiver core is looking good the next few years

o line has a lot of young guys, you gotta figure at least a couple of them will shake out. we got thomas and JMS penciled in for the next half decade. gotta find some permanent solutions on the rest of the line.

qb is still a HUGE question mark. can jones finally turn the corner with better supporting cast? until this question is answered, the "direction" looks to be exactly the same.

MightyGiants

@Ed Vette that was some turnaround.  Prior to the draft you were talking about how excited you were, how this was the most important draft, and even threw in a reference to the multiverse.  Now you seem absolutely crestfallen.

As to the question, I think this team is moving in the right direction.  I appreciate the team lost Barkley and McKinney, but in my mind, it's not about adding good players; it's about adding impact players.  While it's not unreasonable to label both Barkley and McKinney as good, neither really made an impact on the team nor its fortunes.

Now, with the qualifier that this is a speculative thread and question, so we are projecting the play of players, I see the following:

On offense, the Giants added Nabers, who I feel will have a significant positive impact. He will do that by not only giving the quarterback an open target but also adding significant YAC, something this offense hasn't had in quite some time.

I also see players making bigger positive impacts this year than last, including JMS, Hyatt, Robinson, and Daniel Jones (if he stays healthy).

I wouldn't be surprised if Theo Johnson and Tyrone Tracy are year-one contributors.

I don't believe there will be a drop off at RB

At QB, I am concerned about DJ's ability to stay healthy, but I am intrigued as to what Drew Lock can bring to the table.  He always had talent, but from what I hear, he finally "gets it" in terms of what it take to be an NFL QB.

Still, the biggest problem with the offense was the offensive line. I hope that when we look back on next season, we will say the biggest addition to the team was O-line coach Carmen Bricillo.  Adding a bunch of proven veterans to pair with the younger players seems to be a wise move at this point.

On Defense, I don't have any reason to believe that Shane Bowen isn't a competent DC.  The addition of Burns and the day two DBs were nice additions.  There were already some solid contributors with Dex, Thibs, and Okereka.  There is no reason to think the Giants can't field at least a middle-of-the-pack defense with some potential upside.

Coaching is an interesting issue.  I have gone on record that I didn't like how the Giants handled the situation.  Still, if one wants to take the optimistic view, Daboll's staff should at least all be on the same page and follow Daboll's vision for how the team should be run.  That has the potential to make things much better for the team.

So all-in-all I am cautiously optimistic
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 09:04:28 AM@Ed Vette that was some turnaround.  Prior to the draft you were talking about how excited you were, how this was the most important draft, and even threw in a reference to the multiverse.  Now you seem absolutely crestfallen.

As to the question, I think this team is moving in the right direction.  I appreciate the team lost Barkley and McKinney, but in my mind, it's not about adding good players; it's about adding impact players.  While it's not unreasonable to label both Barkley and McKinney as good, neither really made an impact on the team nor its fortunes.

Now, with the qualifier that this is a speculative thread and question, so we are projecting the play of players, I see the following:

On offense, the Giants added Nabers, who I feel will have a significant positive impact. He will do that by not only giving the quarterback an open target but also adding significant YAC, something this offense hasn't had in quite some time.

I also see players making bigger positive impacts this year than last, including JMS, Hyatt, Robinson, and Daniel Jones (if he stays healthy).

I wouldn't be surprised if Theo Johnson and Tyrone Tracy are year-one contributors.

I don't believe there will be a drop off at RB

At QB, I am concerned about DJ's ability to stay healthy, but I am intrigued as to what Drew Lock can bring to the table.  He always had talent, but from what I hear, he finally "gets it" in terms of what it take to be an NFL QB.

Still, the biggest problem with the offense was the offensive line. I hope that when we look back on next season, we will say the biggest addition to the team was O-line coach Carmen Bricillo.  Adding a bunch of proven veterans to pair with the younger players seems to be a wise move at this point.

On Defense, I don't have any reason to believe that Shane Bowen isn't a competent DC.  The addition of Burns and the day two DBs were nice additions.  There were already some solid contributors with Dex, Thibs, and Okereka.  There is no reason to think the Giants can't field at least a middle-of-the-pack defense with some potential upside.

Coaching is an interesting issue.  I have gone on record that I didn't like how the Giants handled the situation.  Still, if one wants to take the optimistic view, Daboll's staff should at least all be on the same page and follow Daboll's vision for how the team should be run.  That has the potential to make things much better for the team.

So all-in-all I am cautiously optimistic
You're one of three fans on this poll who is excited. When I said this was a pivotal and important draft, I stand by that. IMO, they needed to draft a QB, even if it was the one you pushed that I said I needed more information on. I would have been happy with JJ McCarthy. Not with Jones for a 6th season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 30, 2024, 11:11:33 AMYou're one of three fans on this poll who is excited. When I said this was a pivotal and important draft, I stand by that. IMO, they needed to draft a QB, even if it was the one you pushed that I said I needed more information on. I would have been happy with JJ McCarthy. Not with Jones for a 6th season.

I believe the reason I am excited is the same reason I was less excited pre-draft.  I had lower (perhaps more realistic) expectations going into the draft.  I had resigned myself some time ago that the Giants getting a QB in this draft was a long shot.   

If you can't get your franchise quarterback, you need to focus on building up the infrastructure so that when you do, he thrives. Drafting Nabers goes a long way to improving the quarterback infrastructure.  I don't know what ultimately will happen at QB, but I can think if far worse things than building the support a QB needs.   Teams have gone to the Super Bowl or championship games with QBs they drafted in rounds other than one or didn't even draft their QB.   So, as long as the team is adding blue and red chip players and keeping an eye on the QB opportunities, I think the issue will eventually resolve itself one way or the other.     
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

For those who are down on the direction of the team, this article by Connor Orr might be of interest.

Giants Rightly Passed on a QB in the 2024 NFL Draft
Deciding to be patient and sticking with Daniel Jones, while also winning more games in the interim, will get New York back on track.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/29/2024-nfl-draft-new-york-giants-rightly-passed-quarterback
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Ed mentioned I was only one of three who was excited.  For those interested in such numbers:

In a poll conducted by Big Blue View, only 8% (349) of 4,307 voters said the Giants should have pivoted to McCarthy and used the No. 6 pick to make him the successor to Daniel Jones. Another 4% (178) said the Giants should have selected Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr.

An additional 4% said the Giants should have increased their reported offer to New England, adding a third first-round pick.

Schoen chose LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers at No. 6, and 67% (2,882 voters) said that was the right move. Washington wide receiver Rome Odunze would have been the choice of 17% (731) voters.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/4/30/24145340/poll-results-only-8-of-giants-fans-would-have-drafted-j-j-mccarthy-at-no-6-daniel-jones?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=bigblueview
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GloryDays

To me, last year's debacle was 90% due to the O line failures

Not having the defensive backfield as a concern, I did not check out any of those prospects; so I was surprised and disappointed that the 2nd and third picks were devoted to the secondary.

We got burned last year for not being prepared to replace Neal. I hope what they did in FA market is enough; more importantly, they are not going by HOPE either. If the line is functional and reliable, then from what I have gathered so far, this can be considered as a solid draft.

SUPERSEE

with our current QB situation .. man listen. another long season. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Former NFL executive and current analyst Michael Lombardi believes that New York Giants co-owner John Mara impacted the club's decision to not spend the sixth pick of the 2024 NFL Draft on a replacement for starting quarterback Daniel Jones.

"And remember, John Mara, the president of the team -- he's the reason why Daniel Jones is making all that money -- he loves Daniel Jones," Lombardi said during a Monday appearance on sports radio station 106.7 The Fan, per Dan Mennella of Audacy. "He drafted Daniel Jones as the sixth pick overall. Nothing would make them more happy than Daniel Jones being successful. They're almost willing it to happen. It won't, but they're hoping it will."

Specifically, former Giants general manager Dave Gettleman selected Jones with the sixth pick of the 2019 draft. Current New York general manager Joe Schoen and Mara came together to sign Jones in March 2023 to a four-year contract that could be worth up to $160M.

The Giants can escape that agreement next offseason as long as the 26-year-old isn't dealing with a football-related injury at that time.

This past March, well-known radio host and FS1 personality Colin Cowherd suggested that Mara wanted a quarterback in Jones who Schoen and head coach Brian Daboll "privately don't want."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/former_executive_has_theory_on_why_giants_didnt_draft_daniel_jones_replacement/s1_13132_40300610
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on April 29, 2024, 03:15:42 PMI got one foot in the "Cautiously Optimistic" lane and the other in the "I'll Believe It When I See It" lane.

For me, it all hinges on Bricillo and what he can do with his guys up front. My second area of concern/interest is the running game. I don't picture a drastic fall off in production collectively from previous seasons. I actually think as a group, the production will be significantly better.

Tim, you and @Ed Vette perfectly captured my feelings.  I believe Schoen has drafted well over the last two seasons. However, like every other season, I refuse to view the Giants' roster/progress in a vacuum...it must be evaluated against other teams in our conference.  I'll wait to execute my yearly position-by-position evaluation, but right now I believe the Giants are, at best, the 3rd most talented team in division, and could be on the bottom if Daniels lives up to expectations.  It's also difficult to get excited about another Daniel Jones led offense, which is incredibly boring and frustrating to consume.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 01, 2024, 06:46:55 AMFormer NFL executive and current analyst Michael Lombardi believes that New York Giants co-owner John Mara impacted the club's decision to not spend the sixth pick of the 2024 NFL Draft on a replacement for starting quarterback Daniel Jones.

"And remember, John Mara, the president of the team -- he's the reason why Daniel Jones is making all that money -- he loves Daniel Jones," Lombardi said during a Monday appearance on sports radio station 106.7 The Fan, per Dan Mennella of Audacy. "He drafted Daniel Jones as the sixth pick overall. Nothing would make them more happy than Daniel Jones being successful. They're almost willing it to happen. It won't, but they're hoping it will."

I have to confess, I was left a bit puzzled.  The claim that Mara "impacted" the decision not to draft a QB at 6 wasn't actually supported by the provided quote.  Either the author mischaracterized Lombardi's quote or they left out important parts of the quote.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I prefer to evaluate them week to week, after they play the games. Every week brings new challenges and there's absolutely no way of knowing in May how this team will look against competition in September. Like Painter, I don't care for all the prognostications and rankings and B&M when a game has yet to be played.

I'm looking forward to the season, as I am every season. I'm hopeful and optimistic about the team overall. I also have no delusions of grandeur and will wait to see how things shape up to start the season.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 01, 2024, 08:45:23 AMI have to confess, I was left a bit puzzled.  The claim that Mara "impacted" the decision not to draft a QB at 6 wasn't actually supported by the provided quote.  Either the author mischaracterized Lombardi's quote or they left out important parts of the quote.

I found another take on the quote:

"I wasn't surprised at all by that," Lombardi said on The Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan in D.C. on Monday. "Because if you listened to what John Mara said at the owners' meetings ... he said very clearly, 'I'll favor them drafting a quarterback if they're in love.' And he used the word 'love.'"

"I think they were in love with Drake Maye, but I don't think they were in love with J.J. McCarthy. And remember, John Mara, the president of the team -- he's the reason why Daniel Jones is making all that money -- he loves Daniel Jones. He drafted Daniel Jones as the sixth pick overall. Nothing would make them more happy than Daniel Jones being successful. They're almost willing it to happen. It won't, but they're hoping it will."

https://www.audacy.com/973thefansd/sports/lombardi-nygs-loyalty-to-players-causes-bad-decisions

I am not sure that you need an owner to tell a good GM that you should only be drafting a QB at 6 if you love that prospect.  With a less than 50% success rate on drafted QBs, drafting one hoping they will prove to be good is a bit of a fool's errand, in my opinion
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Thegratefulhead

I was one those that vote that am excited.

I'm a fan, short for fanatic, right?

Why wouldn't I be excited?

I know it has been 10 years of bad.

With Schoen and Daboll, I believe we have the team in place to fix that.  We had a terrible roster when they took over that did not seem to have an identity.  I see the vision and love it.  They want playmakers.  This is a very QB friendly offense.  We have not seen the best of Robinson and Nabers better in every way.  Hyatt forces you cover the boundaries deep and Johnso is going to look great running the seam(Deadly)

I wanted McCarthy at 6 because I think Jones is an injury risk.  I think Jones can execute this offense well if he remains healthy and we protect him.  Big plays in 2024. 

I did not get my way on draft day.

Still excited, great draft.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.