News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you want Mike Kafka fired at the end of this season?

Started by DaveBrown74, December 18, 2023, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to see Kafka fired after this seeason?

uconnjack8

Patriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl 13-3.  They ran their way through the playoffs averaging over 150 yards/game.  In 3 playoff games Brady through 2 TDs and 3 INTs. 

The defense and running game carried the team.

TONKA56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 21, 2023, 10:40:09 AMPatriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl 13-3.  They ran their way through the playoffs averaging over 150 yards/game.  In 3 playoff games Brady through 2 TDs and 3 INTs. 

The defense and running game carried the team.

Terrell Davis pretty much willed the Broncos to a couple titles, but you're going to get the "different era" argument.

jgrangers2

I said this about Daboll a few weeks ago when people were calling for his head, but too many people get overly focused on a coach's or a coordinator's inability to get around personnel issues. The ability to make  poor talent look mildly competent is not a useful skill in the long run.

This O-line is bad, our receiving corps is mediocre and we've had to go with 2nd and 3rd string QBs for most of the year. Expecting this to look like anything more than a bad offense is just unrealistic. Coaches can only do so much to overcome bad personnel.

BluesCruz

Hire Belichick to clean house and clean up this mess. GM/HC. Keep Schoen as Asst GM
to return to GM when Belicheck retires in a year or two or three
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

TONKA56

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 21, 2023, 01:18:06 PMHire Belichick to clean house and clean up this mess. GM/HC. Keep Schoen as Asst GM
to return to GM when Belicheck retires in a year or two or three

As a GM Belichick has been questionable at best. Others might say he flat out sucks. 

BluesCruz

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 21, 2023, 01:50:02 PMAs a GM Belichick has been questionable at best. Others might say he flat out sucks. 

He would have Schoen to carry most of the load but he would have the final say

Bill knows how to build a winner.   Does Schoen?  So far his picks an trades have been suspect
plus he caved to Jones.  I'll admit I didnt want to lose Jones (what do I know) but Schoen should have had a better read on this.  Jones has fallen down the chute.

Leaving a huge hole in our budget

Thank goodness we have Tommy on a rookie contract, or do we?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 21, 2023, 01:50:02 PMAs a GM Belichick has been questionable at best. Others might say he flat out sucks. 

I would take Jerry Reese back as GM before I took Belichick as a GM.

As a coach, completely different story. He's a legend. That goes without saying.

As a GM I think he's brutal. All you have to do is look at the Pats' roster. It's a total disgrace, and he's fully responsible for that. At least Reese can find good wide receivers like Nicks and Cruz.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2023, 02:18:10 PMI would take Jerry Reese back as GM before I took Belichick as a GM.

As a coach, completely different story. He's a legend. That goes without saying.

As a GM I think he's brutal. All you have to do is look at the Pats' roster. It's a total disgrace, and he's fully responsible for that. At least Reese can find good wide receivers like Nicks and Cruz.

He was hot after DeVito this summer, he has a nose for talent...He has how many rings with him as GM?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 21, 2023, 02:21:32 PMHe was hot after DeVito this summer, he has a nose for talent...He has how many rings with him as GM?

6, but Brady was obviously a huge part of that. His record without Brady as his QB is poor, and it's over a very large sample size.

No interest in a back and forth on this to be honest. Belichick is clearly not coming to the Giants. It's moot.

TONKA56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2023, 02:28:53 PM6, but Brady was obviously a huge part of that. His record without Brady as his QB is poor, and it's over a very large sample size.

No interest in a back and forth on this to be honest. Belichick is clearly not coming to the Giants. It's moot.

If we wanted to bring in a consultant for a couple years I'd consider someone like Dante Scarnecchia if he were interested but he's 75 and may just want to be retired and I have little idea if his expertise goes anywhere outside the immediate realm of coaching. I also understand he was recently affiliated with the Jets in some capacity but I'm unsure of the current status of that relationship. 

Gmo11

I may be in the minority but I think Daboll and Kafka may have OVER-achieved given the level of QB play they've been handed.  You could say Jones' regression is on them but the regression was only back to his previously established level of play.  The outlier was last year when they pulled more out of him than seemingly possible. 

This year Jones stunk out loud, and then Taylor and Devito, while better than Jones, have also been mostly awful.  In the league today if your QB stinks you aren't going to score a lot of points and you're not going win. We can look around and say he should have called these plays or those plays but devito is still the one running those plays and that OL is still going to be the ones blocking for him.  I don't think we could legitimately expect more than what we've seen.

Even the Jets game where they refused to let Devito throw a pass, likely due to his 0 practice reps to that point in the season he'd taken, they were in position to win the game if the kicker had 2 functioning legs or the defense could stop Zach Wilson one more time.  So the decision worked.  Had Devito aired it out and thrown 3 miserable INTs they lose by 3 TDs.  This strategy kept them in the game and put them in prime position to win.

So I'm not of the mind that either of them deserve to be fired after this season.  I want to see them with a real qb. Which likely means drafting one this April.  If they take Daniels and he doesn't look any better than Jones or can't understand the plays, I'll be right here saying fire his ass but today, as things stand, I don't know how much we could have really asked of him.

T200

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 21, 2023, 02:21:32 PMHe was hot after DeVito this summer, he has a nose for talent...He has how many rings with him as GM?
I wouldn't say he was *hot* for him. DeVito had an opportunity to sign with the Pats or us. He obviously chose us. But Bill could have plucked him from our PS. He didn't.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

B1GBLUE

Quote from: jgrangers2 on December 21, 2023, 12:37:41 PMI said this about Daboll a few weeks ago when people were calling for his head, but too many people get overly focused on a coach's or a coordinator's inability to get around personnel issues. The ability to make  poor talent look mildly competent is not a useful skill in the long run.

This O-line is bad, our receiving corps is mediocre and we've had to go with 2nd and 3rd string QBs for most of the year. Expecting this to look like anything more than a bad offense is just unrealistic. Coaches can only do so much to overcome bad personnel.

normally i would agree, but when we have a bunch of guys that go to other teams and look functional, or sign guys from other teams that were functional, and come here and look absolutely awful... how much can you blame on the personnel?

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2023, 02:28:53 PM6, but Brady was obviously a huge part of that. His record without Brady as his QB is poor, and it's over a very large sample size.

He constantly has professed he is a Giants fan, left unfinished business, and he is likely looking for another job in 3 weeks

It would be a short stay deal 2-3 years and if I'm correct would culminate in a SB win his 3rd year getting the "Brady did it" monkey off his back

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 22, 2023, 06:31:34 AMHe constantly has professed he is a Giants fan, left unfinished business, and he is likely looking for another job in 3 weeks

It would be a short stay deal 2-3 years and if I'm correct would culminate in a SB win his 3rd year getting the "Brady did it" monkey off his back

Even if they lose each of these last three games by 50, they're not firing Daboll in this offseason, or Schoen. Absolutely zero chance of that. And at least one (and most likely both) of those would be mandatory for Belichick to come here in this offseason.

It's not happening under any circumstances. Assuming he is leaving the Pats, he will be going to another team (provided he is not retiring).