News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DT Maason Smith + Coach Patterson = STEAL

Started by MightyGiants, April 21, 2024, 09:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Below is McGinn's write-up on the prospect.  The Giants have one of the best D-line coaches in the business.  This is the sort of draft pick that would exploit that strength

MAASON SMITH, Louisiana State (6-5, 308, 5.03, 3): Third-year junior. "He's just got traits you can't teach," one scout said. "Has the same body type and is the type of athlete that Chris Jones is. He's just not that level player. Plays like a freshman, honestly. I don't think he knows how good he can be. Has a ton of upside and he's a big man. Those guys are hard to find." Started four of nine games as a freshman in 2021 before suffering a torn ACL in the '22 opener. Came back to start 12 games at 3-technique in '23 before declaring. "Should have probably stayed in school," a second scout said. "Wasn't great coming off the injury but most guys get better (later). I think he'll be a better pro than college player." His mother is a doctor and his father owns a company in the petroleum industry. "Parents are professional people," a third scout said. "He might not be mean enough, to be quite honest. Got a lot of God-given talent. I'm gonna roll the dice with him. He was the No. 1 schoolboy defensive tackle in the country. He missed all of '22, comes back for '23 and there's been a coaching change in the meantime. The D-line coach (Jimmy Lindsey) gets a brain tumor and they cycle through about five different line coaches. They didn't know if they were a two-gap team, a one-gap team, a twist team. Truthfully, he's a five-star who was going to play three years and head to the league no matter what. I think this year was all sort of geared to, 'Hey, I'm just going to survive and get through the season.' He doesn't play hard all the time. He can play 3- or 5-technique. Very smart. He has real, real talent." Finished with 47 tackles (9 ½ for loss) and 6 ½ sacks. Longest arms (35) at the position but also the smallest hands (8 ½). "He doesn't play with passion," a fourth scout said. "He's big. He's got range. But I can't wait to see the team that takes him. I think he stinks." From Houma, La.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE