News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The 2023 Giants as seen by PFF--Read them and weep

Started by LennG, January 12, 2024, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/read-em-and-weep-the-2023-giants-as-seen-by-pff/ar-AA1mRNLo?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=38ef4019e2d24fafb858deb9b15f72d7&ei=25

The word "postmortem," according to Merriam-Webster, can mean "an analysis or discussion of an event after it is over," or it can refer to an autopsy. A look back at the 2023 New York Giants probably falls somewhere in between those two definitions. 2023 was the Giants' most disappointing season since...2017. Or maybe since 2021. You know things are bad when you only have to go back two years and six years to find other seasons as brutal. To look at the bright side, though, at least this time the Giants' coaching situation isn't in shambles...oh, wait.

Anyway, you have to diagnose the disease before you can cure it, so let's go. We'll use Pro Football Focus grades for the team and for individual players, and supplement them with some statistics.

We are the worst overall team even though we finished with a better record that 4 other teams.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Good find, Len

Plenty of PFF premium grades were published in that article  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: LennG on January 12, 2024, 11:33:06 AMhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/read-em-and-weep-the-2023-giants-as-seen-by-pff/ar-AA1mRNLo?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=38ef4019e2d24fafb858deb9b15f72d7&ei=25

The word "postmortem," according to Merriam-Webster, can mean "an analysis or discussion of an event after it is over," or it can refer to an autopsy. A look back at the 2023 New York Giants probably falls somewhere in between those two definitions. 2023 was the Giants' most disappointing season since...2017. Or maybe since 2021. You know things are bad when you only have to go back two years and six years to find other seasons as brutal. To look at the bright side, though, at least this time the Giants' coaching situation isn't in shambles...oh, wait.

Anyway, you have to diagnose the disease before you can cure it, so let's go. We'll use Pro Football Focus grades for the team and for individual players, and supplement them with some statistics.

We are the worst overall team even though we finished with a better record that 4 other teams.
There is your answer, Lenn at really how bad the Giants are. I said sixth worst. I was being kind.

sooners56

Good article. Giants clearly need a big boost to the offensive side of the ball. I think almost all the focus this off-season should be about the offense. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Giants will be getting the franchise QB. However, getting a #1 WR, as well as, a stud olineman or two, shouldn't be too much to ask with the 6th pick in the first and 2 2nd round picks.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Philosophers

Quote from: sooners56 on January 12, 2024, 01:51:19 PMGood article. Giants clearly need a big boost to the offensive side of the ball. I think almost all the focus this off-season should be about the offense. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Giants will be getting the franchise QB. However, getting a #1 WR, as well as, a stud olineman or two, shouldn't be too much to ask with the 6th pick in the first and 2 2nd round picks.

Good summary.  Isn't that what our eyes have seen all season?  It's the offensive side that needs most of the help.  We have to continue investing in it.

sooners56

Quote from: Philosophers on January 12, 2024, 02:04:10 PMGood summary.  Isn't that what our eyes have seen all season?  It's the offensive side that needs most of the help.  We have to continue investing in it.

I may be mistaken but I do recall reading some posts thinking the defense needs the most work idk 🤷🏼�♂️. In my eyes, yes the defense could use some help but offense needs the most help and it isn't close imo. The defense just needs to get better at rushing the passer.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on January 12, 2024, 02:04:10 PMGood summary.  Isn't that what our eyes have seen all season?  It's the offensive side that needs most of the help.  We have to continue investing in it.

One of my favorite quotes is that team building is different from collecting talent (I believe Mike Lombardi said it).  It may be that Howie Roseman is learning this lesson the hard way.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ViewFromSection129

Is there something rotten about this franchise in general?  I feel like we keep trying to change things, but nothing ever seems to change.  We are constantly near the top in injuries each year, even after changing strength and conditioning coaches, the turf (which still apparently sucks), etc.  We change GMs and we still seem to have issues getting players.  The Packers have like 8 guys that are competent WRs, and we have trouble having a couple.  And the coaches seem to not be coaching anyone up, even though we have had so many head coaches and assistants over the past ten years or so.

I expected 2023 to be worse than 2022 (I thought 8-9), but this year was much worse than expected.  And I was hopeful that 2024 would be a year to legitimately compete for playoff victories as our players developed and we got out from under salary cap hell, but we seem so far away from anything right now.  And the more we change, the more nothing seems to change.

Ed Vette

This tells another story. The Defense was worse than the Offense and Special Teams and the only area they improved in over Pat Graham's Defense was tackling. They were significantly worse in Coverage, Run Defense, and Total Defense. We lose sight of that on a game-by-game basis and how the Defense played in some games in the second half of the season. They did however give up an average of 32 points a game in 5 games after the Jets game. Winky was wildly inconsistent. They gave up 23 points a game in the first 8 games. Went on a Tommy Cutlets streak and then crapped out 5 games. There were 7 games giving up 28 points or more.

All this Drama and he didn't want accountability or be coached. They should have kept Pat Graham. With the infusion of better talent, who knows what he might have accomplished, he certainly didn't pack an ego.

This is why teams should look at the existing staff and do interviews with them besides an exit interview. They cut loose some good coaches sometimes. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

What has bothered me about this past season more than the obvious lack of improvement was the lack of ambition, motivation, and preparation with which the team began the season and displayed for much of its 1-5/ 2-8 start. I feel strongly that the Giants was ill-prepared to begin the season and played below its capability far too often.

If I am justified in my thinking, I don't have much of an option or alternative but to blame Head Coach, Brian Daboll. In the interest of fairness and positive thinking, I will leave it at that, and an expectation of improvement whatever may be the circumstances.

Cheers!

Sem

Quote from: Painter on January 12, 2024, 04:32:45 PMWhat has bothered me about this past season more than the obvious lack of improvement was the lack of ambition, motivation, and preparation with which the team began the season and displayed for much of its 1-5/ 2-8 start. I feel strongly that the Giants was ill-prepared to begin the season and played below its capability far too often.

If I am justified in my thinking, I don't have much of an option or alternative but to blame Head Coach, Brian Daboll. In the interest of fairness and positive thinking, I will leave it at that, and an expectation of improvement whatever may be the circumstances.

Cheers!

I agree 100%. They looked like a team that wasn't ready to start the season. Then as the season went on injuries kept them from gelling. Well, injuries and a deficit of talented players.

umassgrad

Azeez and Kayvon in the 50's which is what I saw while watching the games. Simmons and Okereke were great additions with Dex and X make for something to build on. DB's will improve with time much like X has.
The receivers will improve when QB play improves. I'm for a new QB but obviously the OL needs to improve in order for any QB to be successful

DaveBrown74

Quote from: umassgrad on January 13, 2024, 07:48:09 AMAzeez and Kayvon in the 50's which is what I saw while watching the games. Simmons and Okereke were great additions with Dex and X make for something to build on. DB's will improve with time much like X has.
The receivers will improve when QB play improves. I'm for a new QB but obviously the OL needs to improve in order for any QB to be successful

Agreed. The D has some solid pieces. I wouldn't call it a good D yet but it's a lot closer to being good than the offense is.