News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Texans turnaround

Started by umassgrad, January 17, 2024, 07:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umassgrad

The Texans went from really bad to the playoffs, why not the Giants next year? I know you need a really good QB to win in the NFL. You can't rush in a rookie, you have to develop a QB and surround him with a great OL and lots of weapons and then I remembered CJ Stroud.

The Houston rookie has been sensational this year. He's completed 63.9 percent of his passes for 4,108 yards, 23 touchdowns and just five interceptions. He also ran for another three scores. And he did all that while missing two regular season games.

Stroud doesn't have much talent around him, either. And while Demeco Ryans is more than impressing, he's still a first-year head coach. The Texans were 3-13-1 last season. They went 4-13 and 4-12 the two years prior and had four head coaches between 2020 and 2022, counting interim head man Romeo Crennel.

Houston should have been a cellar- dweller this year. Instead, it just won a playoff game, in dominating fashion. It beat a veteran Browns team that smoked the Texans in the regular season.

But Stroud lit up the Browns defense time and time again. He was 16 for 21 for 274 yards and three scores.

He was not only elite. He was the most valuable player. Because without him, this Texans team would be fighting with the Patriots, Giants and Jets for a top 5 selection in the draft.

MightyGiants

I don't get the Stroud carried an untalented team narrative.  Against the Browns, the Texans' defense looked better than the Stroud led offense.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 17, 2024, 07:29:05 AMI don't get the Stroud carried an untalented team narrative.  Against the Browns, the Texans' defense looked better than the Stroud led offense.
Against an aging QB who had played well upon his revival, but without quality running backs and numerous injuries and on the road, not a good recipe. The Texans defense is good thanks to their head coach, but it's Stroud who has turned the franchise around (along with Coach Ryans).

umassgrad

I wasn't looking at this as a one game analysis against the Browns but rather a complete turnaround from last season to this season. The Texans were really bad last year and brought in a new coach with all the "new systems etc..." Yet here they are advancing in the playoffs. If you can find a Stroud or Burrow you can turn things around quickly.

Ed Vette

Quote from: umassgrad on January 17, 2024, 07:54:35 AMI wasn't looking at this as a one game analysis against the Browns but rather a complete turnaround from last season to this season. The Texans were really bad last year and brought in a new coach with all the "new systems etc..." Yet here they are advancing in the playoffs. If you can find a Stroud or Burrow you can turn things around quickly.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/16/wild-card-winners-losers-cj-stroud-enters-elite-conversation
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Stroud was the primary catalyst for transforming a terrible team, which went 3-13-1 the year prior.  Does anyone actually believe Houston would be in this position with 80% of the leagues QBs? Moreover, when CJ was injured, Houston played Cleveland and only generated 250 total offensive yards...they were totally dominated.  Playing the same team just 3 weeks later, this time with CJ, Houston obliterated Cleveland. Stroud was particularly masterful throwing for 274 yard, 3 TDs, 0 Ints, and a perfect 157.2 rating.  The defenses' impressive performance does not negate CJ's performance, which can be objectively classified as perfect.   

In short, the notion that Stroud is the impetus for Houston's dramatic turnaround is absolutely supported by the facts. Despite missing 3 games, he's #8 in passing yards, #12 Passing TDs, and #6 RTG...by almost every metric, he's a top 10 QB, despite playing with limited offensive player-makers.  Finally, I reject implicit implication the NFL's 15th ranked defense is more impressive than a top 10 QB performance.  Houston's playoff berth is a direct byproduct of superior QB play, not a middle-of-the-road defense.  The same could happen to our Giants...we just need a little luck.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 17, 2024, 07:38:21 AMAgainst an aging QB who had played well upon his revival, but without quality running backs and numerous injuries and on the road, not a good recipe. The Texans defense is good thanks to their head coach, but it's Stroud who has turned the franchise around (along with Coach Ryans).

That narrative doesn't fit the points the Browns offense had generated prior to facing the Texans D.

The last 5 games

31 points
37 points
36 points
20 points
31 points

As for Stroud carrying the team.  PFF highest graded players for the Texans game

Nico Collins 85.9
Brevin Jordan 84.9
Devin Singletary 82.3
Laremy Tunsil 82.3
Christian Harris 91.0
Desmond King II 85.3
Derek Stingley Jr. 80.2
Derek Barnett 78.7

You have to go past all those "untalented" players to finally get to

CJ Stroud 77.8

No doubt CJ Stroud is a good QB, and he had a good rookie season, but in all fairness, he wasn't carrying the team as suggested.  I would go further to suggest that people are so focused on QBs that they are short-changing the new Texans' head coach, DeMeco Ryans, as he no doubt deserves a great deal of credit for the turnaround.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

I don't think anyone here suggested he carried the team but he was the catalyst needed to make the team good. Using PFF rankings to prove your point with this one is a bit of a reach. I bet Dak was rated above Stroud in PFF rankings. Give me CJ over Dak anytime, any age. It's more about seeing the field, getting the ball out quickly, escaping in the pocket, all things our Giants QB's do not have. Maybe that changes next draft.

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on January 17, 2024, 08:41:18 AMI don't think anyone here suggested he carried the team but he was the catalyst needed to make the team good. Using PFF rankings to prove your point with this one is a bit of a reach. I bet Dak was rated above Stroud in PFF rankings. Give me CJ over Dak anytime, any age. It's more about seeing the field, getting the ball out quickly, escaping in the pocket, all things our Giants QB's do not have. Maybe that changes next draft.

Actually, Dak had a significantly worse grade (even with garbage time helping his grade) with a 60.6.

I am with you; I would prefer CJ Stroud to Dak, as Dak has a bad habit of coming up small once he gets to the playoffs.  I like Stroud and look forward to his development and play moving forward.

I just feel like there is far more to the Texans' turnaround than they just added Stroud.  The Texans are a talented, well-coached, playoff-caliber team with far more than just CJ Stroud contributing to their success, at least in my opinion.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 17, 2024, 08:49:24 AMActually, Dak had a significantly worse grade (even with garbage time helping his grade) with a 60.6.

I am with you; I would prefer CJ Stroud to Dak, as Dak has a bad habit of coming up small once he gets to the playoffs.  I like Stroud and look forward to his development and play moving forward.

I just feel like there is far more to the Texans' turnaround than they just added Stroud.  The Texans are a talented, well-coached, playoff-caliber team with far more than just CJ Stroud contributing to their success, at least in my opinion.

I agree I don't think it is just the QB.  There has been a number of draft picks and acquisitions over the last several years that were able to emerge when the right QB and coaching staff arrived.  Certainly Stroud is a big part of it. 

Also, let's not anoint the Texans at this point.  They have a very tough road game next.  If they lose as expected we will see what next year brings them and if this surge has staying power. 

One edit:  A little off subject but I find it interesting that Laremy Tunsil was traded to the Texans as part of a tank job by the Dolphins.  Dolphins still haven't won a playoff game since tanking for Tua.

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 17, 2024, 08:28:28 AMThat narrative doesn't fit the points the Browns offense had generated prior to facing the Texans D.

The last 5 games

31 points
37 points
36 points
20 points
31 points

As for Stroud carrying the team.  PFF highest graded players for the Texans game

Nico Collins 85.9
Brevin Jordan 84.9
Devin Singletary 82.3
Laremy Tunsil 82.3
Christian Harris 91.0
Desmond King II 85.3
Derek Stingley Jr. 80.2
Derek Barnett 78.7

You have to go past all those "untalented" players to finally get to

CJ Stroud 77.8

No doubt CJ Stroud is a good QB, and he had a good rookie season, but in all fairness, he wasn't carrying the team as suggested.  I would go further to suggest that people are so focused on QBs that they are short-changing the new Texans' head coach, DeMeco Ryans, as he no doubt deserves a great deal of credit for the turnaround.

Your point would have merit, if these offensive players enjoyed significant success prior to playing with CJ. Most of the players you listed are veterans; thus, to suggest they magically improved, independent of CJ's performance, is not supported by the facts.  You seem to dismiss the possibility they enjoyed improved stats/PFF ratings as a direct byproduct of playing with a Top 10 QB.  Remove CJ from the equation, and I highly suspect their individual performances' would suffer.  This paradigm is hardly an anomaly, our own EE's stats/PFF ratings dramatically improved when decoupled from a poor passer. For Houston, Nico Collins complied just 497 yards without CJ; with him, he had 1297 yards, in just 12 games. His PFF rating jumped 20 points.

A QB, more than any other position, can directly impact the performance of everyone around them; CJ's impact on Houston is quantifiable and indisputable. Nobody is suggesting he's the sole reason; however, he's is the primary reason....and it's really not close.  Put another way, if Houston could protect just one player or coach, I'd bet you anything they would protect CJ.

JT39

Can't forget Bobby Slowick. There's a reason he's going to be a hot commodity when the Texans are done.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on January 17, 2024, 09:32:20 AMYour point would have merit, if these offensive players enjoyed significant success prior to playing with CJ. Most of the players you listed are veterans; thus, to suggest they magically improved, independent of CJ's performance, is not supported by the facts.  You seem to dismiss the possibility they enjoyed improved stats/PFF ratings as a direct byproduct of playing with a Top 10 QB.  Remove CJ from the equation, and I highly suspect their individual performances' would suffer.  This paradigm is hardly an anomaly, our own EE's stats/PFF ratings dramatically improved when decoupled from a poor passer. For Houston, Nico Collins complied just 497 yards without CJ; with him, he had 1297 yards, in just 12 games. His PFF rating jumped 20 points.

A QB, more than any other position, can directly impact the performance of everyone around them; CJ's impact on Houston is quantifiable and indisputable. Nobody is suggesting he's the sole reason; however, he's is the primary reason....and it's really not close.  Put another way, if Houston could protect just one player or coach, I'd bet you anything they would protect CJ.

This is an interesting but ultimately erroneous take.  I looked at the PFF history of the Texan's starting lineup.   Nicco Collins was literally the only veteran player to enjoy his best season, per PFF grades, playing alongside CJ Stroud.  Every other veteran in the starting lineup had at least one better season prior to this season.

Simply put, CJ Stroud did not make the veterans play better.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE