News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A nice article on the challenges new O-line coach Carmen Bricillo faces

Started by MightyGiants, January 18, 2024, 09:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Can Carmen Bricillo, Joe Schoen clean up Giants' offensive line mess?

The Giants have been trying unsuccessfully to fix their line for more than a decade

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/1/18/24041876/can-carmen-bricillo-joe-schoen-clean-up-giants-offensive-line-mess
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

There will obviously changes in personnel but the one thing I hope Bricillo can quickly improve is the mental processing of the line. We gave up too many sacks/pressures and broken run plays because our OL could not operate in unison and cannot reliably detect even the most basic stunt.

Some of that might be on the players, some of it early season was the constant change but I think a lot of it is simply not working hard enough on film study and on collective (as opposed to individual) technique on the practice field. It should be possible to significantly improve this aspect without new personnel IMO.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 18, 2024, 09:47:32 AMThere will obviously changes in personnel but the one thing I hope Bricillo can quickly improve is the mental processing of the line. We gave up too many sacks/pressures and broken run plays because our OL could not operate in unison and cannot reliably detect even the most basic stunt.

Some of that might be on the players, some of it early season was the constant change but I think a lot of it is simply not working hard enough on film study and on collective (as opposed to individual) technique on the practice field. It should be possible to significantly improve this aspect without new personnel IMO.

Our new coach has a philosophy.   Is one player makes a mistake, it's probably on the player.  If more than one is making mistakes, then it's on the coach and how he taught it.   From what I hear, the new coach is big on accountability, not just for his players but for himself as well.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I just listened to the latest Jordon Raanan podcast

Around the 12 minute mark he discusses this hire

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7JkbFN0fPFSGczhGmqwaxz

Basically, Jordon said the new coach's results are good.  However, he said he heard an unusual number of negative remarks about him as a coach (he indicated the negatives were similar to the ones demonstrated by Daboll).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

The new OL coach walks into a position where he can't coach any worse than the last guy so the bar is set so low he has a good chance to improve things. The same goes for the special teams coach.

Philosophers

He walks into a situation where his HC boss could be out of a job in a year.