News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Great coaching won yesterday

Started by ralphpal1, January 29, 2024, 12:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

Great coaching won against good coaching
With teams both being very good
It came down to that
Also do you think dan campbell goes the way of stanley and the eagles coach
Once the players see he doesnt have a plan they lose faith
Being a rah rah coach is great but in times of trouble you have hundreds of eyes looking at you and go get them boys dont work

ozzie

I don't think Campbell has anything to worry about. I disagreed with his decisions to go for it on 4th down twice, but Dan Campbell took this team where is hasn't been in decades and his players seem to love him.
Plus, I believe he HAD a plan. That plan was "Stick with what got you where you are today." The Lions have played aggressively all season, so I'm guessing Campbell stuck with that plan, and I can't really fault him for it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

T200

Quote from: ozzie on January 29, 2024, 01:30:08 PMI don't think Campbell has anything to worry about. I disagreed with his decisions to go for it on 4th down twice, but Dan Campbell took this team where is hasn't been in decades and his players seem to love him.
Plus, I believe he HAD a plan. That plan was "Stick with what got you where you are today." The Lions have played aggressively all season, so I'm guessing Campbell stuck with that plan, and I can't really fault him for it.
I'm all for staying true to who you are as a team and doing what got you to a certain point. I also think that as a coach, you have to be ready to adjust when the situation calls for it. With a 14-point lead, that was the time to adjust. Take the FG and push it back to a three-score game. Put the pressure back on them.

Look at it another way: if they led the league in rushing YPG and made the playoffs with a run-heavy offense, and found themselves down by two TDs in the middle of the third quarter, do they stick with the running game if it hasn't been successful all game?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kartanoman

Quote from: ozzie on January 29, 2024, 01:30:08 PMI don't think Campbell has anything to worry about. I disagreed with his decisions to go for it on 4th down twice, but Dan Campbell took this team where is hasn't been in decades and his players seem to love him.

I agree with you. He lived, and subsequently died, by making the daring call when most would have taken the conservative route and kicked field goals. Even if things might have worked out for the Lions, had he taken the conservative approach, Campbell isn't going to apologize to anyone for calling it as he did. It's why he and his team were playing yesterday in the first place.

In my opinion, it was all part of his game plan. He rolled the dice and fell short. But he had the 49ers on the ropes in their building with a lot of nervous 49ers' fans watching. It took some gutsy plays by Purdy, Deebo, Aiyuk and McCaffrey to jump-start the offense for the 49ers to make a game of it. The Lions should be proud of their effort, even in defeat, and keep the chip on their shoulder going into next season. If they do, they may be the ones hosting the Conference Championship and what a magical site that would be.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

umassgrad

In the 2nd half, if the Lions don't fumble, drop easy passes, have INT's go through their hands that lead to touchdowns then they win that game. The Lions team LOVES DC and probably love him even more for going for it on 4th down. DC is a great coach, he just didn't get the bounces in the 2nd half.

LennG

I didn't agree with the 4th down call but I could live with it. As a coach you have to look at the consequences of you don't make it. In this case the miners are deep in their territory.
The 3rd down run was just a horrible call because the consequences of not making it is burning a time out and basically losing the championship game. Those consequences far out way the others. Sorry but Campbell has to take that into account. Just a horrible call in those circumstances
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss