News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NY Post article: Why the Giants decided it was finally time to trade Toney

Started by Blue Fire, October 28, 2022, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Fire

https://nypost.com/2022/10/27/why-the-giants-decided-it-was-time-to-trade-kadarius-toney/

The final straw that led to his departure. Apparently coaches wanted Toney to stay at the facility with the trainers during bye week and he wanted to leave town.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

MightyGiants

The article seemed long on speculation and short on actual sources and detail
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

This should have just been put on one of the 2+ KT traded threads.  Can we just merge it somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

The article is somewhat speculative. The unnamed source didn't say it was a member of the organization that commented on the bye week issue.

The article by Paul Schwartz said that he wanted to practice Wednesday and they kept him out. Already on thin ice the plan was to have him practice on Friday and if all went well he would play Sunday. But if not, he would have to stay. He wouldn't be given a choice but if he's not required to stay via CBA and he left anyway then that would be a big deal. The article didn't touch on that aspect.

Ultimately it was a risk reward decision based on his health weighed against his marketability. They apparently had already made a decision on him and it wouldn't change unless he broke out. They got an offer and took it because they had no faith in him for many reasons. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

You always see reports like this pop up after a guy is dealt in these situations.  TBH I don't really care the deal itself told me there were issues and that the Giants wanted to move on.  It was easy to move on when he had contributed just about nothing this season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

A link to an article with no evidence, mostly pure speculation, and little substance.

Why am I not suprised  :doh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on October 28, 2022, 01:01:27 PMA link to an article with no evidence, mostly pure speculation, and little substance.

Why am I not suprised  :doh:

This one is most likely due to BF's dual membership here and at BBI.  Over at BBI the owner of the site was so impressed with this article that he felt it deserved its own thread.   I guess the owner of this site tends to be more mindful of speculation vs. reporting.  ;)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

beaugestus

I don't get it, why are people defending him because they say the article is speculative? I find it logical considering who they are dealing with. What are they supposed to do making them cow tow to his wishes because he has plans? I wouldn't trust his judgement a player who came back too early, making sure he was completely healed, and they wouldn't have to go around the merry-go-round again? If it walks like a duck, it's a duck.

MightyGiants

Quote from: beaugestus on October 28, 2022, 01:31:18 PMI don't get it, why are people defending him because they say the article is speculative? I find it logical considering who they are dealing with. What are they supposed to do making them cow tow to his wishes because he has plans? I wouldn't trust his judgement a player who came back to early, making sure he was completely healed, and they wouldn't have to go around the merry-go-round again? If it walks like a duck, it's a duck.

John,

I don't think people are defending Toney.  They are just holding reporters accountable and to a standard where they don't pass off their speculation as actual news.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I read this article myself this AM and was a bit disappointed with it for reasons already listed in this thread, but also because the Post is usually very solid for local sports coverage.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2022, 01:57:58 PMI read this article myself this AM and was a bit disappointed with it for reasons already listed in this thread, but also because the Post is usually very solid for local sports coverage.

More specifically it was from Paul Schwartz who usually does a solid job (in my opinion this article really wasn't up to his standards)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 28, 2022, 01:33:01 PMJohn,

I don't think people are defending Toney.  They are just holding reporters accountable and to a standard where they don't pass off their speculation as actual news.

He said he had a source and everything in that article is consistent with Toney's history here, so I think it is a little more than pure speculation.  It fits the image that Toney has projected of not doing things that are voluntary, like OTAs.  If a reporter's reporting is dismissed as speculative because he doesn't name his source then to be consistent we would have to dismiss almost everything that is printed.

And when a reporter has heretofore been solid maybe he should be given the benefit of the doubt?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Thegratefulhead

Article is meaningless.  The only reason you trade a first round pick in the middle of the season when you are thin at the position is because removing him would help the team.  They were getting zero production from him.  The article just speculates on what we know in general from his own tweets and statements.  He did not want to be here and glad he is gone.  I am too.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Giant Obsession

Whatever the reason Toney was a disgrace to Mark Bavaro's number.  I never say or wish such a thing, but I hope he get wheeled.  I know, bad on me.

The least the Giants should do is to send Mark Bavaro an apology.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon