News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dugan on Daniel Jones reducing turnovers

Started by MightyGiants, October 28, 2022, 11:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan  @DDuggan21
3m
Daniel Jones has quietly cut back on his turnovers in each season since his rookie year. This coaching staff has helped him take his ball security to another level. It's been vital to the Giants' success:

https://theathletic.com/3738693/2022/10/28/giants-seahawks-daniel-jones/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Jones has done a very nice job to work on his penchant for turnovers and improve it significantly. The next step for him is to show that he can be a prolific passer/scorer (on top of keeping turnovers under control).

Rambo89

Credit to him and the coaching staff who have simplified things for him to where he hasn't been asked to do too much.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 28, 2022, 12:25:59 PMCredit to him and the coaching staff who have simplified things for him to where he hasn't been asked to do too much.

It's part of the plays to the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses.   On the flip side, I heard Mike Lombardi talk about how Daniel Jones' running ability makes their offense much more difficult to defend against.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 28, 2022, 12:30:00 PMIt's part of the plays to the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses.   On the flip side, I heard Mike Lombardi talk about how Daniel Jones' running ability makes their offense much more difficult to defend against.
Dabs has DJ review plays he loves and thought he did well and asked him what he felt his strengths were.

That is a coach that is looking to create a playbook that works to his QB rather then a QB having to bend to fit the playbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob In PA

This issue is also dealt with in the Josh McCown video posted by Brown Elvis.

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=64019.0

They talk about it at about the 25-minute mark (it lasts about 3 or 4 minutes).

Bob

PS. IMPORTANT: If you ever wondered why the NFL pays good coaches/players so much money, watch the whole thing. It's long, but as Rich says you can shorten it by upping the speed. In this case, IMO, you can't go faster than 1.25x because you won't be able to process all the information. The video is A+ highly recommended.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Blue Fire

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 28, 2022, 12:36:54 PMDabs has DJ review plays he loves and thought he did well and asked him what he felt his strengths were.

That is a coach that is looking to create a playbook that works to his QB rather then a QB having to bend to fit the playbook

This is what we have been hoping for for a while. This kind of philosophy/approach.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Trench

To be fair he also had a few would be turnovers negated by penalty

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on October 29, 2022, 10:57:16 AMTo be fair he also had a few would be turnovers negated by penalty

Agreed and a couple of very fortunate dropped picks earlier in the season.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Trench on October 29, 2022, 10:57:16 AMTo be fair he also had a few would be turnovers negated by penalty
It's all part of the game.  We easily could say what if and if only.

If only all the drops our WRs caught how much better would be his completion rate and quarterback rating.

It is what it is.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 29, 2022, 11:12:43 AMIt's all part of the game.  We easily could say what if and if only.

If only all the drops our WRs caught how much better would be his completion rate and quarterback rating.

It is what it is.

I think that's the exact point though. People tend to always bring up the drops, but never the dropped picks or the picks where he got bailed out by a needless penalty somewhere else on the field. If people are going to do the what if game with drops, then they should do the same with the dropped picks unless they are comfortable being blatantly biased and putting their thumb on the scale.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 29, 2022, 11:19:33 AMI think that's the exact point though. People tend to always bring up the drops, but never the dropped picks or the picks where he got bailed out by a needless penalty somewhere else on the field. If people are going to do the what if game with drops, then they should do the same with the dropped picks unless they are comfortable being blatantly biased and putting their thumb on the scale.
Yep!!!  That's why the what if game doesn't matter unless you are looking to dig your heals in on a point and not let go.

It is what it is!  The stats are what they are good bad or indifferent

Trench

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 29, 2022, 11:52:08 AMYep!!!  That's why the what if game doesn't matter unless you are looking to dig your heals in on a point and not let go.

It is what it is!  The stats are what they are good bad or indifferent

Generally speaking my observation is nobody lets much go on here as we are all coming from a place of passion and rooting.

...And to add:
"you are what you're record says you are"

Can't wait for the game tomorrow. This season and this team is a whole lotta fun.

B1GBLUE

this absolutely ties into our winning record. maybe he's not lighting up the statline, but he's also not giving the game away. we have a couple wins already due to winning the turnover battle. i wouldnt mind a little more high risk high reward plays as we continue to progress, but i can deal with his lack of firepower as long he keeps taking care of the ball.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 28, 2022, 12:36:54 PMDabs has DJ review plays he loves and thought he did well and asked him what he felt his strengths were.

i feel like this a linchpin of soooooo many coaches. they are so proud and stubborn of "their" playbook, they scapegoat guys who cant execute it. sometimes you just have to work around what you have. and daboll so far, has mastered that. cant wait to watch these guys grow together.