News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Should Sign Barkley

Started by uconnjack8, October 28, 2022, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Fire

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 28, 2022, 03:23:46 PMI think I am probably in the minority but I really think signing Barkley to a 4 year extension (or new deal) is the right thing to do. 

First, let's get this out in the open:  I am a huge Barkley fan and loved it when they drafted him.  I watch all Penn St games and was awed by his ability to take over games even with limited blocking. He has said the right things and done the right things as a Giant. He is a local guy as well.  I could go on, but I think the point is made.  I am not denying that my emotion is playing into this thought process.

However, there are certainly logical reasons to sign him. 

He is the offense's MVP and best player(you could argue Andrew Thomas is the best player).  He is elite at his position and is the focal point for opposing defenses' game plan.   In other words, he makes everyone around him better because they have to plan for him. That leaves practice squad receivers single covered.  That gives Daniel Jones extra time to throw when there is a play fake.

When OBJ was jettisoned one of the criticisms was that teams shouldn't get rid of elite difference makers at skill positions.   I think that applies here.  The Giants are building a team, you do that with great cornerstone players and he is absolutely one of them. 

Last year I didn't feel the same way, partially because his play wasn't as well rounded as it is this year.  His blocking was subpar which he turned around and he didn't run downhill, which has also changed.   He makes those tough runs between the tackles that were absent in prior years. Those two things also show he is coachable and a player that is continually looking to improve.  That shouldn't go unnoticed, especially for a guy of his talent. He is a complete RB with absurd abilities for his size and has the right mental makeup.

In terms of cost, the highest paid RB now has a contract that averages 16M/year.  If they offered a contract of 17M/year that is still only about 65% of what teams pay for WRs of the same level (best WRs are averaging 25 - 30 million/year).  And he touches the ball a lot more than any WR. In that way he is an absolute bargain for a difference maker. 

His injuries are a concern but I think we can agree he has fully healed.  Will he have another major injury?  No one knows that.  WRs get injured too (see Jamarr Chase for reference).  I do think he has at least 4 solid years left and for him that means being among the league leaders in yards from scrimmage. He was that as a rookie with an awful line and he is that right now with a better but not great line.  Add a difference maker at WR and this offense could be a juggernaut.   

Let him walk and you get a comp pick and an offense that takes a huge step backwards and probably a lower level of play from guys that benefit from him being there.

Maybe a 3 year deal tops but I would prefer to give DJ the multiyear deal and then FT tag Saquon since it is fairly low compared to other positions and gives us another year to see if his play and health continues at an elite level. RBs drop off quick sometimes and we definitely dont want a 4 year commitment here.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Philosophers

No other RB in the NFL has done what Saquon has done for the Giants.  He has done as much as anyone to create that 6-1 record.  It is not easily replaced.  DJ needs a better RB to be an effective QB.

How much is that worth to the success of the Giants?