News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

For the life of me I don't understand why Barkley still wants to be a Giant for

Started by MightyGiants, February 05, 2024, 01:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 05:51:17 PMI am not criticizing him.  I simply don't understand why he wants to be a Giant for life.

Ask the same question to DLaw and Thomas who will wind up with longer careers with the Giants when it is all set and done.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 06, 2024, 08:47:23 AMAsk the same question to DLaw and Thomas who will wind up with longer careers with the Giants when it is all set and done.

Did Barkley get paid like those two?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 08:50:08 AMDid Barkley get paid like those two?

The extension he turned down would have make him one of the highest paid running backs in the NFL so the answer is yes he very much could have compared to their respective positions.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Woody

aside from his mental errors late in games ...... I really like him as player and a person.....good kid

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 05, 2024, 08:16:29 PMThe Giants made Barkley a very good offer last year given the decline in the RB market, and he passed. If he wanted to be here so badly he would have taken that offer. It was well more than fair. Thank goodness for the Giants that he thought he was too good for it. That was his loss, not the team's.

Maybe.  But if he had accepted that offer, they franchise Jones, and right now can move on at that position without the anchor weight of Jones holding them back for a season. 

I don't blame the Giants for the offer they made last year which was more than fair and I don't blame Saquon for wanting more.  I think he's a great person, and if he had his way he'd stick around with the Giants for his whole career out of loyalty to the team that took him #2 overall.  Having said that loyalty only goes so far and if a team that's more complete but just a RB away like the Ravens or Bills wants to pony up a McCaffrey-like contract for him he'll move his ass on out to Baltimore or Buffalo and never look back.  And in all honesty...it's probably better for him if he does.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Gmo11 on February 06, 2024, 10:15:25 AMMaybe.  But if he had accepted that offer, they franchise Jones, and right now can move on at that position without the anchor weight of Jones holding them back for a season. 

I don't blame the Giants for the offer they made last year which was more than fair and I don't blame Saquon for wanting more.  I think he's a great person, and if he had his way he'd stick around with the Giants for his whole career out of loyalty to the team that took him #2 overall.  Having said that loyalty only goes so far and if a team that's more complete but just a RB away like the Ravens or Bills wants to pony up a McCaffrey-like contract for him he'll move his ass on out to Baltimore or Buffalo and never look back.  And in all honesty...it's probably better for him if he does.

Thats actually the sentiment that started this thread.  It has morphed into a lot of other topics (as threads do), but that was the original point. 

AZGiantFan

For me, at this stage of the game he is a much better person than a running back.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll