News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I wouldn't count Daniel Jones out, his obituary was written before

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2024, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

The haters-you know who y'are- gonna hate. Baiters gonna 'bate. Whereas, a true Giants fan will wish Daniel Jones good health, and everyone on the on the team and in the organization, success in the coming season.

In any case, we all know the very particular ifs, ands, and buts which are most likely to influence the eventual outcomes and decisions in due course, and sans our assistance.

Cheers!

sxdxca38

Here are a list of the predictions the critics of Daniel Jones have gotten wrong.

A) No QB has ever been re-signed who has gotten his 5th year year option declined, they were wrong.

B) The Giants will draft their franchise QB this year, they were wrong.

C) Eisen before the draft "The Giants are absolutely done with Daniel Jones", they were wrong.

D) Here is the new one, they are now having to make up excuses as to why he succeeded in 2022, instead of actually  acknowledging that he played well, they were wrong.

The question is, what are these critics going to do if DJ plays well in 2024 and the Giants make the playoffs again?

We will have to see how this transpires.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 09:37:43 AMIn the 2022 offseason, most considered Daniel Jones a dead man walking.   

Consider:

1) The Giants passed on exercising DJ's 5th-year option

2) The Giants signed Tyrod Taylor who many fans claimed was as good or better than Jones (he did have a Pro Bowl to his resume)

3) Jones had injury issues and needed to prove he could stay healthy

4) Worst of all, Jones was going to have to prove himself behind a mediocre, at best, O-line with no significant receiving targets.  He would get a bit of a tangential boost from Barkley (who already lost something after his major knee injury)

Everyone was writing Daniel Jones off, there was much talk about the QBs in the draft. Only Daniel Jones decided he wasn't ready to be dead and buried.  He dragged his under-talented team to the playoffs and beat the 13-4 Vikings in the hostile Minnesota stadium.  He earned himself a solid contract.

From Daniel's perspective, this is just deja vue all over again.   I am not suggesting that Jones will stay healthy and knock it out of the park.  I am just suggesting we shouldn't be shocked if Jones plays like a franchise QB and takes the team to the playoffs again while at least staying healthy enough.

Daniel has had 'flashes of brilliance' as I mentioned in another post. It's the consistency that can be argued. Is the consistency more an issue of him or the lack of support system. When you look at the advance metrics of OL and WR performance it would tend to suggest the latter more than the former.

This year could mercifully and finally be the year they have removed the additional variables where it will simply come down to him and only him being what stands between an above average or better offense or another crap-tas-ter-ific year despite better pieces around him.

Being an optimist, I believe he rebounds. Giants missing out on Drake may have turned to be a blessing in disguise. Because with Drake it would have taken longer to rebuild around him due to the draft capital we would have had to give up (and no Nabers).

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 10:12:24 AMThe Giants had the worst offensive line in the league last year

Jones was pressured more frequently and quickly than any QB

Jones had no receiving threat of note

I am not sure what you define as excuses, but for those of us who try to be fair in our evaluations (we don't use charged language like "excuses"), Jones was put in a terrible situation for a QB to do well.  It's not to suggest that Jones doesn't need to step up his game, but I am not sure any QB could have done well in DJ's situation last year.

All true except the fact (not one, but TWO) backup QBs moved the ball better AND actually won some games and came awfully close to doing more than that with other games they lost by a mere play here or there. Yes I know Thomas was there but as everyone says, one man doesn't make a team. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention our backups were probably sacked as much (or more) than Jones was.

I'm rooting hard for him this year, he's our guy. Hope he blossoms into a star. But I cannot just prop him up anymore. Especially when I saw with my own eyes how much better Tyrod and Devito moved the ball downfield. Way better than Jones did.

PSUBeirut

Has any fanbase had as long of a run of middling too-calm QBs to argue about?  I mean, we've been at this for 2 decades now.   :yes:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on April 30, 2024, 12:23:10 PMAll true except the fact (not one, but TWO) backup QBs moved the ball better AND actually won some games and came awfully close to doing more than that with other games they lost by a mere play here or there.

I have heard this claim come up, but frankly it's juts not accurate as this chart clearly shows.

How quickly the pressure arrives matters a great deal and clearly the other two QBs had it significantly better than Jones
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 30, 2024, 12:32:36 PMHas any fanbase had as long of a run of middling too-calm QBs to argue about?  I mean, we've been at this for 2 decades now.   :yes:

Have to admit the discussions about Jones do have a striking similarity to the ones about Eli
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:32:40 PMI have heard this claim come up, but frankly it's juts not accurate as this chart clearly shows.

How quickly the pressure arrives matters a great deal and clearly the other two QBs had it significantly better than Jones

So apparently according to that chart, the 2 backups were able to make quicker reads and get rid of the ball - and as a result, they were able to move the ball downfield with better frequency.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on April 30, 2024, 12:38:21 PMSo apparently according to that chart, the 2 backups were able to make quicker reads and get rid of the ball - and as a result, they were able to move the ball downfield with better frequency.

That is NOT what the chart says.  The chart shows Jones faced more and quicker pressure than the other QBs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uncle Mickey

Even on the low end if DJ is Jared Goff, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins etc. even these guys were pretty successful when they had a functioning well coached OL and WRs. I don't think Daniel unless he is damaged goods at this point is a QB who just 'stinks'. I think his floor is a QB that can be effective if protected well and has quality targets to throw to. Maybe his floor is he doesn't elevate the players around him but with a Nabers and a better coached offensive line I think he can be productive.

Ceiling is us fans get to see what we saw vs. numerous team likes Vikes, Colts, Tampa (rookie year), Washington multiple times happen on a frequent more consistent basis. Those weren't just 'meh' performances but there were many high end QB plays in those games. He does have talent.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 30, 2024, 12:42:08 PMEven on the low end if DJ is Jared Goff, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins etc. even these guys were pretty successful when they had a functioning well coached OL and WRs. I don't think Daniel unless he is damaged goods at this point is a QB who just 'stinks'. I think his floor is a QB that can be effective if protected well and has quality targets to throw to. Maybe his floor is he doesn't elevate the players around him but with a Nabers and a better coached offensive line I think he can be productive.

Ceiling is us fans get to see what we saw vs. numerous team likes Vikes, Colts, Tampa (rookie year), Washington multiple times happen on a frequent more consistent basis. Those weren't just 'meh' performances but there were many high end QB plays in those games. He does have talent.

Is what I've highlighted that different from most QBs in the NFL? I tend to think not... which then merits in favor of moving on from him with a palatable short-term cap hit, because you can get similar (if not greater) production at a fraction of the cost.

Trench

I hope you're right but I cannot get past the fact we had 2 different QBs play much much better than our 40 million dollar man did. This is very problematic.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on April 30, 2024, 12:23:10 PMAll true except the fact (not one, but TWO) backup QBs moved the ball better AND actually won some games and came awfully close to doing more than that with other games they lost by a mere play here or there. Yes I know Thomas was there but as everyone says, one man doesn't make a team. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention our backups were probably sacked as much (or more) than Jones was.

I'm rooting hard for him this year, he's our guy. Hope he blossoms into a star. But I cannot just prop him up anymore. Especially when I saw with my own eyes how much better Tyrod and Devito moved the ball downfield. Way better than Jones did.

Hi Trench,

It isn't a totally fair comparison because Daniel faced two top five defenses in his first five games.

And the first four out of five were against playoff teams.

Where Devito and Tyrod faced inferior competition.

Also when Tyrod did play against a top 4 defense in Buffalo, he put up 9 points.

However the proof will be in the pudding this upcoming year as to what transpires.

Please be well and good hearing from you

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:32:40 PMI have heard this claim come up, but frankly it's juts not accurate as this chart clearly shows.

Mighty,

What an excellent chart, thanks for sharing

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 30, 2024, 01:07:02 PMHi Trench,

It isn't a totally fair comparison because Daniel faced two top five defenses in his first five games.

And the first four out of five were against playoff teams.

Where Devito and Tyrod faced inferior competition.

Also when Tyrod did play against a top 4 defense in Buffalo, he put up 9 points.

However the proof will be in the pudding this upcoming year as to what transpires.

Please be well and good hearing from you

This is a good debate.

I would argue our backups played against some very strong teams and some who also made the playoffs.Stats do lie. It ain't everything. I'm sure someone adept at stats could find statistics that support my argument in some way.

Does anyone dispute the fact they BOTH moved the ball better than the $40 million QB?