News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The BBH/Big Hitter's Corner Draft Podcast w/UKGiantsfan: Post Draft/Days 1 & 2

Started by bighitterdalama, May 02, 2022, 12:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

Ceri and I examine the Giants picks on Days 1 & 2. Podcast covering Day 3 + UDFAs will be out a little later this week. Run time is 28:12.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-826565332/ceri-post-draft-1-mixdown-1

Bob In PA

Brian & Ceri: Another great job! I was impressed by the point that the supply of viable corner backs ran low quickly, forcing Schoen to grab Flott. He's skinny but IMO so young that there's plenty of time to add bulk. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

bighitterdalama

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 02, 2022, 01:56:21 PM
Brian & Ceri: Another great job! I was impressed by the point that the supply of viable corner backs ran low quickly, forcing Schoen to grab Flott. He's skinny but IMO so young that there's plenty of time to add bulk. Bob

Bob,

Something that stuck out to me while watching the draft were the two early runs on wide receivers. Five were taken between 8-16, then not another until the Giants took Wan'dale Robinson at #43. Of the subsequent 11 picks (44-54), five were WRs. I suspect that Schoen & Company detected a run coming at wideout and opted to get their guy while he was still available. Pay no attention to the pre-draft prognosticators' "value boards" showing Robinson as a third rounder or later; no way Robinson was lasting through to Round 3. For the Giants, he was a better talent than the five WRs taken right after him, hence they did not hesitate to pull him in at #43. It's not like they sat on their hands in Round 2; they traded back twice, garnering two extra picks that resulted in safety Dane Belton and linebacker Micah McFadden.

Blue Fire

Quote from: bighitterdalama on May 02, 2022, 06:35:46 PM
Bob,

Something that stuck out to me while watching the draft were the two early runs on wide receivers. Five were taken between 8-16, then not another until the Giants took Wan'dale Robinson at #43. Of the subsequent 11 picks (44-54), five were WRs. I suspect that Schoen & Company detected a run coming at wideout and opted to get their guy while he was still available. Pay no attention to the pre-draft prognosticators' "value boards" showing Robinson as a third rounder or later; no way Robinson was lasting through to Round 3. For the Giants, he was a better talent than the five WRs taken right after him, hence they did not hesitate to pull him in at #43. It's not like they sat on their hands in Round 2; they traded back twice, garnering two extra picks that resulted in safety Dane Belton and linebacker Micah McFadden.

This is an excellent excellent point : 5 of the next 11 picks were WR. Does Robinson make it out of that run ? Im guessing the NFL was higher on him than fans were. Ironically we may have found out the answer if McCreary made it to one more pick later.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Blue Fire on May 02, 2022, 06:39:37 PM
This is an excellent excellent point : 5 of the next 11 picks were WR. Does Robinson make it out of that run ? Im guessing the NFL was higher on him than fans were. Ironically we may have found out the answer if McCreary made it to one more pick later.

Guessing that will be the case otherwise otherwise teams would have been contacting various media types laughing at the Giants pick and suggesting that Schoen didn't do as well as opinions seemed to suggest. The silence on that pick is deafening,  well, apart from armchair Giants GM's upset that their draft analyst's of choice weren't in lock step with Schoen.

Bob In PA

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on May 03, 2022, 09:40:32 AM
Guessing that will be the case otherwise otherwise teams would have been contacting various media types laughing at the Giants pick and suggesting that Schoen didn't do as well as opinions seemed to suggest. The silence on that pick is deafening,  well, apart from armchair Giants GM's upset that their draft analyst's of choice weren't in lock step with Schoen.
Ceri: It is my understanding that Schoen outmaneuvered a few teams who were lying in wait to grab Robinson about 10 picks or so later.

That could be true, in a sense, but I still think the Giants were angling to draft the corner back (Booth) taken by the Vikings one pick before the Giants selected Robinson.

The really good news IMO is that Schoen had a "backup plan" so I give him high grades for nimbleness and making a quick recovery.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

londonblue

Bob, the Giants did not draft anyone with any significant injury concerns (the Neal stuff was draft smoke). It makes me doubt that Booth was their guy. I think it was Gordon we missed out on if it was anyone when he went at 39. Of course the trade up in front of us means that one team thought we might want Booth but ultimately that is an opinion & one where you would always choose to minimise a risk if you have a guy targeted as the team trading up.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

londonblue

Thanks to Brian and Ceri for all the work that goes into this. A great listen. Much appreciated.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

bighitterdalama

Quote from: londonblue on May 03, 2022, 10:55:35 AM
Bob, the Giants did not draft anyone with any significant injury concerns (the Neal stuff was draft smoke). It makes me doubt that Booth was their guy. I think it was Gordon we missed out on if it was anyone when he went at 39. Of course the trade up in front of us means that one team thought we might want Booth but ultimately that is an opinion & one where you would always choose to minimise a risk if you have a guy targeted as the team trading up.

Neil,

Ceri brought the (lack of) injury issues up. The Giants drafted young players (10 out of 11 were 22 or younger, most 21 or younger) who played at major schools and who had no injury history. Production and intangibles also clearly played a part. Tight end that can block, safety that can tackle and defend/intercept passes, Day 3 players who can immediately make an impact on special teams. As good as I witnessed the coaching staff and front office perform in free agency and the draft, I can't wait to see what they do next off-season when they have some money.