News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: super immunity from COVID-19

Started by brownelvis54, December 17, 2021, 05:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Thanks, Ed for reopening this thread. It can be valuable to many here. We have a lot of intelligent posters and I v\lue a lot of the info I get here from people who know.

Gather info and make your own decisions.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

nb587

Not a loaded question.  Is information available about who hasn

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 20, 2021, 08:01:13 PM
So many people wanted to wait for the J&J because it was touted as natural. Or so they said to me. My niece took it because it was what was available for her in the city at the time. Now it

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 21, 2021, 07:33:07 AM
As it stands now officials are sort of suggesting J and J is a second rate and it's best to go for Moderna or Pfizer.    From the data I have seen, Moderna seems to be slightly more effective than Pfizer so if you have had Moderna I would stick with it.    As for those with Pfizer you are free to switch but I can't really say it would improve immunity

My Mom in her mid 70's got J and J several months ago....but I had her get Moderna a few months ago.
The KING is in the building

Philosophers

Great dialogue here with everyone.

Nobody should expect perfect outcomes with any of this from the inception of these vaccines.  It's a very fluid situation so our medical experts/researchers are doing their best to come up with solutions based on the research at that moment.  As more data becomes available, it should lead to better solutions and decisions.

LennG

I have a few questions, I hope people can answer for me.

First, I am simply amazed at the speed of the Omicron strain has taken to overwhelm this country. It seems as little as the beginning of Dec, 3 weeks ago, we were counting the cases on our hands for many states and now it is the prevalent strain all over the country.

I was watching a news show last night and someone brought up a very interesting theory. If this Omicron strain isn't anywhere near as deadly as the Delta or past strains, maybe it would be a good idea for people to actually get it and build up immunities. If, as many say, it is like the flu or a cold, would this not be a good idea. Yes, there ate certain people who would not want to get it, but wouldn't that be a much smaller group, and the masses could get it and live thru is and hopefully be immune, especially if they have been vaccinated. Anyway, I thought maybe a different way to look at it. BTW, this question was asked to whoever is in charge of the CDC and they basically avoided giving a straight answer, just the same, get vaccinated and boosted.

So, a couple of things. I am 75, my wife 70, both vaccinated with Moderna and boosted with the same. is it wise to keep doing things we have been doing, going out to eat, socializing in small groups, and most important, having our young grandkids over for a few days who have not been vaccinated?

Is this Omicron variant spread the same way as past strains? Like we now know that with the past strains, it is fairly hard to get the virus if you are outdoors and not in a large crowd?

I know 'older' people are at a higher risk, but myself, fairly healthy at 75, but I do take medication for cholesterol and high blood pressure. With the medication I am normal (health-wise) but does that put me in a higher risk category?

So many more people who have been vaccinated and boosted and are still getting this variant, it does make it so much scarier. yes, they are not hospitalized but getting this seems inevitable.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Philosophers

Quote from: LennG on December 21, 2021, 01:22:30 PM

First, I am simply amazed at the speed of the Omicron strain has taken to overwhelm this country. It seems as little as the beginning of Dec, 3 weeks ago, we were counting the cases on our hands for many states and now it is the prevalent strain all over the country.

I was watching a news show last night and someone brought up a very interesting theory. If this Omicron strain isn't anywhere near as deadly as the Delta or past strains, maybe it would be a good idea for people to actually get it and build up immunities. If, as many say, it is like the flu or a cold, would this not be a good idea. Yes, there ate certain people who would not want to get it, but wouldn't that be a much smaller group, and the masses could get it and live thru is and hopefully be immune, especially if they have been vaccinated. Anyway, I thought maybe a different way to look at it. BTW, this question was asked to whoever is in charge of the CDC and they basically avoided giving a straight answer, just the same, get vaccinated and boosted.

So, a couple of things. I am 75, my wife 70, both vaccinated with Moderna and boosted with the same. is it wise to keep doing things we have been doing, going out to eat, socializing in small groups, and most important, having our young grandkids over for a few days who have not been vaccinated?

Is this Omicron variant spread the same way as past strains? Like we now know that with the past strains, it is fairly hard to get the virus if you are outdoors and not in a large crowd?

I know 'older' people are at a higher risk, but myself, fairly healthy at 75, but I do take medication for cholesterol and high blood pressure. With the medication I am normal (health-wise) but does that put me in a higher risk category?

So many more people who have been vaccinated and boosted and are still getting this variant, it does make it so much scarier. yes, they are not hospitalized but getting this seems inevitable.

Lenn - few things to consider.  Our bodies each day, hour or minute are never the same health as our bodies are constantly fighting things trying to invade our bodies.  In many cases, we do not experience any symptoms.  In those situations, we may be less than 100% healthy without symptoms so if say we get COVID, it may make us more sick or kill us because at that very moment we were not 100% healthy.  That is why I believe some extraordinarily fit and healthy young human beings have died from it like that long distance runner college student from Appalachian State University.  As a vaccinated person, you are unlikely to get serious symptoms, but keep in mind if you are slightly less than 100% healthy due to something else, it may affect you worse.  My point is by being vaccinated you stand a better chance of not getting sick, but it does not mean you should throw caution to the wind and think getting exposed will only be a good thing.  It could be if you are 100% healthy at the moment you get COVID and develop greater immunity by being exposed, but it may not if you are fighting some other illness and your immune system is compromised.

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on December 21, 2021, 01:22:30 PM

Len,

I wish I had solid answers, but we are still learning about this new variant that is spreading like wild fire.   Until we have a better handle on things, caution would seem to be the wisest thing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

South Africa has passed its Omicron outbreak peak, top researcher says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/africa/south-africa-omicron-peak-intl/index.html

While Dr. Anthony Fauci pointed on Wednesday to two new studies showing that the hypercontagious Omicron variant of the coronavirus is less deadly than the Delta variant, he cautioned against drawing the conclusion that the data might be a sign that the pandemic was drawing to a close.

Earlier in the briefing, Fauci discussed two new studies that showed that Omicron appears to result in less serious illness than those infected by the Delta variant.

The KING is in the building

Slugsy-Narrows

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/health/pfizer-covid-pill-fda-paxlovid.html

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday authorized the first pill for Covid-19, offering a highly effective defense against severe illness that will arrive as the country endures another major surge of the pandemic.

The drug, developed by Pfizer and known as Paxlovid, is authorized for Covid patients age 12 and over who are vulnerable to becoming severely ill because they are older or have medical conditions such as obesity or diabetes. Tens of millions of Americans