News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Food for thought

Started by LennG, March 31, 2024, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

More true today than when they were written

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on March 31, 2024, 04:19:08 PMMore true today than when they were written

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

MightyGiants

I read the novel 1984 while in high school.  It had a great impact on my worldview.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 02, 2024, 10:33:49 AMI read the novel 1984 while in high school.  It had a great impact on my worldview.
So did I. Should be required reading for all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on April 02, 2024, 11:02:37 AMSo did I. Should be required reading for all.

I feel old in the sense that the title described the future when I first read it.  Now young people in HS will think it's some sort of ancient history story.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 02, 2024, 11:04:18 AMI feel old in the sense that the title described the future when I first read it.  Now young people in HS will think it's some sort of ancient history story.

Everything is ancient history to the young generation. No kid in high school was alive during the 9/11 disaster and only 23-year-old college students were born in 2001, so they can't relate. To my grandchildren, 9/11 is history to them, the Vietnam War is ancient history, and WWII is so far back, that to them, it's like the days of horse and buggies...the Civil War probably took place during the time of Julius Caesar in their minds
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I also read 1984 in HS. But since I graduated in 1963, 1984 was WAY in the Future.
Also consider I saw the movie 2001 in 1969 and thought is that what the future was really going to be like.

In 1984, George Orwell had so many things right. Too bad it was maybe 2015 before it really started to look like what he wrote about.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss