News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

UDFA tracker

Started by Jclayton92, April 27, 2024, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on April 29, 2024, 11:57:11 AMIf it was Love who broke his hand during a bye week you could just reverse their names in what you wrote. Love would have become the persona non grata no one wanted to re-sign, and not McKinney. Giants fans turn on their own so quickly.

Can you give me an example where McKinney demonstrated leadership?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 11:47:37 AMI think Love was more of a leader than McKinney.  We always hear about McKinney's leadership, yet I have never witnessed any direct indication that McKinney was a true leader.

100% spot on correct Rich

Trench

Quote from: TDToomer on April 29, 2024, 11:57:11 AMIf it was Love who broke his hand during a bye week you could just reverse their names in what you wrote. Love would have become the persona non grata no one wanted to re-sign, and not McKinney. Giants fans turn on their own so quickly.

Love was FANTASTIC in post game comments and taught the secondary to own it, be accountable, be a pro, team first guy.

McKinney was the opposite - it was always all about him first

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 11:47:37 AMI think Love was more of a leader than McKinney.  We always hear about McKinney's leadership, yet I have never witnessed any direct indication that McKinney was a true leader.

He wore a "C" so that must account for something
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Asante transferred to Wyoming from Holy Cross.  He'll be competing with another former Patriot League rival, Dequece Carter who was invited to rookie minicamp.  Carter transferred to Indiana from Fordham. Having watched both for 4 years, I think Carter was the better WR (though I admit to being somewhat prejudiced  ;))
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

Since the Giants gave Johnson the "big bucks," I did a little digging.  He was one of Tony Pauline's sleepers

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 29, 2024, 11:26:50 AMIf only we had kept Julian love he could have been the backup kicker.

Imagine if the Giants had signed and kept the holder in this photo, last year's punter, Adam Korsak, the Aussie Rules punter, what a dynamic duo the Giants could have had!

But the Scottish Hammer made amends from a questionable 20222 season and improved significantly and hopes to improve even more this coming season.

For Jude McAtamney, he'll give Gano competition which is a good thing. This is evidence that competition on offense, defense AND special teams now exists which means the head coach has learned some lessons and is now doing things different than from past seasons; a very good thing.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:00:29 PMSince the Giants gave Johnson the "big bucks," I did a little digging.  He was one of Tony Pauline's sleepers

I've been researching him as well...and mainly because of the "Big Bucks". I watched a long interview with him, and he's a high character guy as well as an academic scholar. His brother plays for the Colts (DT) and there were others in his extended family who played in college and the NFL, so he knows what's expected of him at the next level

He seems to be a ball of clay for a coach to mold into anything the coach wants. I don't think he's starter material (yet, who knows?), but if he can give quality minutes backing up guards and tackles, that'd be good. Not as big as most tackles, but excels at horizontal shifting and mirroring pass rushes, hence, his best asset is pass protection at both guard and tackle. Needs to add muscle if he's going to help in pushing open lanes for the run game. Will probably spend a year on the practice squad
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Talkin' Giants

@TalkinGiants
Giants Reported UDFA signings

Wyoming WR Ayir Asante
West Florida WR Jon Jiles
North Dakota State OL Jake Kubas
Missouri OT Marcellus Johnson
UCLA DB Alex Johnson
Oregon DT Casey Rogers
LSU EDGE Ovie Oghoufo
Rutgers K Jude McAtamney

Giants have room for 1 more signing.
9:10 AM · May 1, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Marcellus Johnson has the kind of profile which suggests a legitimate shot to make the practice squad. If a rookie UDFA coming off an injury, even a high upside one, challenges to earn a swing T/back-up role that is not necessarily a good sign for us.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: londonblue on May 01, 2024, 11:01:56 AMMarcellus Johnson has the kind of profile which suggests a legitimate shot to make the practice squad. If a rookie UDFA coming off an injury, even a high upside one, challenges to earn a swing T/back-up role that is not necessarily a good sign for us.

He appears (to me anyway) to be a project that they think can be molded into a solid backup. I think they are thinking (hoping) Philips is over his injury (torn quad) and how quickly he recovers from the surgery he had in January

To me, I'm more interested in seeing what Alex Johnson the skinny 6-1, 170-pound Cornerback from UCLA, is going to do. The Giants paid him the second most money to get him to sign (115k I believe). Primarily a slot CB, but is versatile and can play multiple roles - sort of a younger version of A-A-ron Robinson without an injury history. His film looks good, and he seems to have a nose for the ball - yet another "ball hawk". Will probably need to add weight as did Flott

As with any UDFAs, most are camp fodder, but usually one or two find their way to the practice squad and sometimes even more

The three I'm watching closely are Marcellus Johnson, Alex Johnson, and Casey Rogers. If one or two workout, that'd be a win IMO
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Adding North Dakota State OT Jake Kubas: $270K guaranteed. That's the richest guarantee I've seen aside from Colorado State CB Chig Anusiem, who the Giants were interested in but he fetched $350K guaranteed from Washington.

A practice squad salary for the full season is $225K. The Giants guaranteed Kubas $240K in salary plus a $30K signing bonus. Strong indication that they expect him to at least land on their P-squad (although with offsets, they'd only have $45K in dead money if they cut him and he signs with another team's PS).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 02, 2024, 12:05:04 PMDan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Adding North Dakota State OT Jake Kubas: $270K guaranteed. That's the richest guarantee I've seen aside from Colorado State CB Chig Anusiem, who the Giants were interested in but he fetched $350K guaranteed from Washington.

A practice squad salary for the full season is $225K. The Giants guaranteed Kubas $240K in salary plus a $30K signing bonus. Strong indication that they expect him to at least land on their P-squad (although with offsets, they'd only have $45K in dead money if they cut him and he signs with another team's PS).

Rich, this is it?

Missouri OL Marcellus Johnson (source)
Wyoming WR Ayir Asante (source)
UConn WR Geordon Porter
Minnesota WR Chris Autman-Bell
Georgia Southern TE Jay McAfee
North Carolina T William Barnes
Oregon IDL Casey Rogers
LSU EDGE Ovie Oghoufo
UCLA CB Alex Johnson

The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 02, 2024, 12:59:07 PMRich, this is it?

Missouri OL Marcellus Johnson (source)
Wyoming WR Ayir Asante (source)
UConn WR Geordon Porter
Minnesota WR Chris Autman-Bell
Georgia Southern TE Jay McAfee
North Carolina T William Barnes
Oregon IDL Casey Rogers
LSU EDGE Ovie Oghoufo
UCLA CB Alex Johnson

add in the kicker from Rutgers and that's about it.  The Giants UDRFA class had only 9 slots.  Even before Schoen and Daboll, the Giants didn't seem to be into big UDRFA classes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE