News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

I think population density is the key factor in the issue of virus-spreading. Not testing (which unavoidably increases the number of KNOWN cases) and not "plans."

"Plans" is a Democrat talking-point in response to Trump (correctly IMO) leaving to each individual state the power to implement whatever "plan" they believed was best for their particular state.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Trump HAD implemented a national "plan" they would be calling on Trump to allow individual states to develop their own plans.  Being in charge is a no-win proposition. 

Bob

PS.  And all of that applies equally to the individual state "plans" and the Governors who implemented them.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 09:30:39 AM
coggs: Be careful to distinguish between the effectiveness of a mask to prevent you from getting sick -vs- effectiveness of the mask to prevent you from transmitting the disease.

I know it's a nit-pick but ALL OF SCIENCE IS nitpicking (meaning that in a good way).  The wording can make a big difference in certain contexts (like when reading the scientific studies).

The science right now says generally that masks are unlikely to help avoid viruses if you don't wash dirty hands AND maintain social distancing AND refrain from touching your face with contaminated hands.

Bob

Want to know something funny?    I tell people the biggest threat out there are the non-mask wearers.   I say they pose a two-fold threat.  First off, they are not wearing a mask and hence they are much more likely to get you sick if they are sick.  What makes it some much worse is that non-mask wearers are engaging in risky behavior and so are far more likely to be infected in the first place.

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 09:45:08 AM
I think population density is the key factor in the issue of virus-spreading. Not testing (which unavoidably increases the number of KNOWN cases) and not "plans."

"Plans" is a Democrat talking-point in response to Trump (correctly IMO) leaving to each individual state the power to implement whatever "plan" they believed was best for their particular state.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Trump HAD implemented a national "plan" they would be calling on Trump to allow individual states to develop their own plans.  Being in charge is a no-win proposition. 

Bob

PS.  And all of that applies equally to the individual state "plans" and the Governors who implemented them.

Do you think it was appropriate for the White House to tell the public not to let science get in the way of their plans/desires?

Do you think it was appropriate to allow the Governor of Georgia to negate local laws requiring masks?

You talk about "democratic talking points", Bob.  The reality is it's the Republicans who are the only ones playing politics with this disease and their political games are literally killing Americans.  I really am at a loss at how you can't recognize that, other than I see you read a lot of opinion pieces and they are all of people who are the game players.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o

Fox got it wrong from the start and then jumped on the Florida and Texas early reopen plan. Yep, they got that one wrong again.

umassgrad

Just found the Fox News victory lap video, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDNaB6fZCU

MightyGiants

Quote from: umassgrad on July 17, 2020, 09:47:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o

Fox got it wrong from the start and then jumped on the Florida and Texas early reopen plan. Yep, they got that one wrong again.

You know the old saying about the dog biting you once, shame on the dog, if the dog bites you twice shame on you.

The right/Trump-supporters/GOP were bitten once (with FOX and Trump downplaying the threat) and instead of avoiding the dog they decided to adopt him  >:D
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 09:50:46 AM
You know the old saying about the dog biting you once, shame on the dog, if the dog bites you twice shame on you.

The right/Trump-supporters/GOP were bitten once (with FOX and Trump downplaying the threat) and instead of avoiding the dog they decided to adopt him  >:D
It's sad Rich but true. I don't think we needed Trump to tell each state exactly what to do but he could have guided them a little better. For example, Trump and Fox News were pushing the cure is worse than the disease or something like that. All the Trump talk of "we've got to open up our economy!" Trump rallies in Tulsa with no masks or social distancing required, and now Trump saying schools must open no matter what. All of these things are examples of Trump and his crew promoting bad practices that have led the US to the horrific number of new cases each day. Trumps words lead to actions because we have a lot of not so bright folks that are his followers, see Florida governor.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 09:47:12 AM
Want to know something funny?    I tell people the biggest threat out there are the non-mask wearers.   I say they pose a two-fold threat.  First off, they are not wearing a mask and hence they are much more likely to get you sick if they are sick.  What makes it some much worse is that non-mask wearers are engaging in risky behavior and so are far more likely to be infected in the first place.

Rich: I also forgot to mention the guideline (more like the common sense) to not go out into public if/when you are ill.  That's obvious, but it does not occur to all people, and some I suppose have no choice.  Bob

Bob In PA

Do you think it was appropriate for the White House to tell the public not to let science get in the way of their plans/desires?

Rich: If you have something to support this contention, please post it.  Otherwise, I respectfully request your withdraw it.  Bob

Bob In PA

Do you think it was appropriate to allow the Governor of Georgia to negate local laws requiring masks?

Rich: Exactly who is "allowing" the Governor to do that?   Who has the power to stop him?  Bob

Bob In PA

You talk about "democratic talking points", Bob.  The reality is it's the Republicans who are the only ones playing politics with this disease and their political games are literally killing Americans.  I really am at a loss at how you can't recognize that, other than I see you read a lot of opinion pieces and they are all of people who are the game players.

Rich: Statements like this completely deplete your credibility.  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:06:29 AM
Rich: If you have something to support this contention, please post it.  Otherwise, I respectfully request your withdraw it.  Bob

It's amazing the things you are willing to believe, but I make a statement and you doubt me (despite my history of careful vetting and statements)

Jim Acosta
@Acosta
The White House Press Secretary on Trump's push to reopen schools: "The science should not stand in the way of this."
3:01 PM
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:08:00 AM
Rich: Exactly who is "allowing" the Governor to do that?   Who has the power to stop him?  Bob
Bob- I believe Rich is referring to the Georgia governor filing a lawsuit against the mayor of Atlanta's must wear a. mask order with the hopes of not making wearing a mask mandatory. I will look for a link.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:08:00 AM

Donald Trump for one.  Do you think the governor would reverse the course of Donald did one of his public call-outs? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:06:29 AM

QuoteAsked about President Donald Trump's message to parents as some schools opt to go fully online in the coming weeks, McEnany said "the president has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open."

"And I was just in the Oval talking to him about that," she said. "When he says open, he means open in full, kids being able to attend each and every day in their school. The science should not stand in the way of this."

Link: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/white-house-press-secretary-science-should-not-stand-way-schools-n1234102
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:09:27 AM
Rich: Statements like this completely deplete your credibility.  Bob

Bob,

Do you think in light of you posting links from FOX News and other far-right propaganda sources that are known to distort the truth (to put it nicely), that it is appropriate for you to then turn around and question my credibility?  I am calling it as I see it.  I have been in public health under George Bush, Barack Obama, and now Donald Trump.   Only Trump politically interfered with the national public health process.  That is a fact, not even an opinion.     Only FOX News (and similar outlets) mislead the public about Covid, that is another fact, not opinion.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE