News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Senior Bowl (and practice) is worth watching closely, especially the QBs

Started by MightyGiants, January 28, 2024, 09:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

If you believe the Giants are out of the running in terms of the top 3 QB prospects, pretty much every QB that the Giants might consider targeting (with the exception of JJ McCarthy) will be at the Senior Bowl.  Here are QBs that we should be focusing on (I will combine my thoughts with Draft network quick writeups)

Bo Nix (likely gone in round 1, how high will depend on the pre-draft process)

Age 23 (turns 24 in February)

Height: 6'2" | Weight: 217 lbs

Bo Nix has stats and grades that match up with the elite QBs in this draft.  There is some that believe he was a system QB, so how he performs at the Senior Bowl will be quite telling

Bo Nix, Oregon
Full Scouting Report

What a week it'll be for Nix. An underappreciated talent in the class, the rapid improvement shown by Nix from his time at Auburn to his two seasons at Oregon was sensational. He's extremely mature, operates with a high level of efficiency, and rarely puts the football in precarious situations. He ranked first among 30 Power Five QBs (with at least 2,700 yards passing) in turnover-worthy plays with just five.

PFF stats

Michael Penix Jr. (could go as high as round 1 or as low as day 3 depending on medicals)

Age 23 (turns 24 in May)

Height: 6'3" | Weight: 213 lbs

Penix is an elite-level thrower, even by NFL standards.  There are questions about his game, and the senior bowl may help answer some.  Penix has a serious injury history that could cause this otherwise talented QB to drop.

Michael Penix Jr., Washington
Full Scouting Report

Penix Jr. can solidify himself as a first-round pick in Mobile. We know the arm talent, and it was nice to have Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan, and Ja'Lynn Polk on the perimeter, but working in a neutral environment in a different offensive architecture will paint a clear picture toward Penix's floor moving forward. He surely won't be shy in stretching the field, but taking what's given, staying true to his mechanics, and remaining calm when chaos ensues around his feet are just a few things league evaluators will have a keen eye on.

PFF Stats

Michael Pratt (likely 3rd round target who could move up to round 2 with good draft process)

Age 22 (turns 23 in September)

Height: 6024v | Weight: 219 lbs

Michael Pratt, Tulane
Full Scouting Report

Pratt is a mature signal-caller who I'm excited to see go to work in Mobile. In the pocket, Pratt's experience shines as a processor presnap. He's quick to identify depth and principles of outside coverage. He has clean mechanics with a smooth delivery and easy zip, as well. Pratt can, at times, pull the string a little too much when asked to layer throws, but often drops it right into the bucket. He's not the most elite athlete at the position, but when asked to extend plays, he has no issue doing so to move the sticks.

PFF Stats

Spencer Rattler (likely 3rd round that could move up to 2 with a good draft process)

Age 23 (turns 24 in September)
Height: 6'1 | Weight: 217 lbs

If you want accuracy this guy is your man.  He is a long-time prospect who is a bit like Baker Mayfield. 

Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
Full Scouting Report

If you haven't checked out the South Carolina Gamecocks since the back end of 2022, take a few minutes and flip on Rattler's tape. A former five-star recruit and the No. 1 ranked QB in the 2019 class, his ability to evolve under center after transferring to South Carolina from Oklahoma was a joy to study. His mechanics and pocket presence are outstanding. He can rip it both inside the tackles and on the move and showed the ability to consistently make throws with bodies swarming around his feet. He has the type of athletic confidence I love under center and I'm excited to see him compete.

Joe Milton III (depends on the draft process, currently day 3 but could climb all the way to bottom of round 1)

Age 23 (turns 24 in March)

Joe Milton has only one year starting, but if you like cannon arms, he is your man.  Think prospects like Anthony Richardson and Josh Allen (not saying as good but similar negatives and positives).  If he shows accuracy at the Senior Bowl, watch his stock climb.  He was a career college backup until this past season.

Joe Milton III, Tennessee
Full Scouting Report

Milton III looks the part at 6-foot-5 and can rip it as well as anyone in the class. However, I'm interested to see Milton's efficiency over the middle of the field and ability to layer throws at a variety of depths with consistency. We know he can sling it 70 yards on a rope, but taking the underneath throws and quickly developing a rapport with wideouts he's never worked with in a neutral environment will speak volumes. He's got a ton of the traits you look for in a potential starter on Sundays. Per one AFC rep, "I'd be shocked if he [Milton] gets out of the top 100 [picks]."

PFF Stats

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/23/senior-bowl-2024-qb
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

For those who would like to watch video scouting reports

Bo Nix

Michael Pennix

Michael Pratt

Spencer Rattler

Joe Milton

These are just sample video reports; most of the prospects have at least 2 or 3 good ones.  Just go to Youtube and search- prospect's name scouting report  and a list will come up (I tend to favor the more recent reports)

https://www.youtube.com/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

My thought is the Giants will have options.

Round one-  Is Nix worth the 6th overall pick?

Round two- If Pennix is there, is it worth the medical risk?  If JJ McCarthy is, is he worth the pick?

Round three-  Is it worth taking a flyer on Rattler, Pratt, or perhaps Milton (if Milton falls, it's worth a day 3 flyer just on traits)?  Could Rattler or Pratt impress to the point of being worth the latter 2nd rounder?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 28, 2024, 10:29:18 AMMy thought is the Giants will have options.

Round two- If Pennix is there, is it worth the medical risk?  If JJ McCarthy is, is he worth the pick?

Round three-  Is it worth taking a flyer on Rattler, Pratt, or perhaps Milton (if Milton falls, it's worth a day 3 flyer just on traits)?  Could Rattler or Pratt impress to the point of being worth the latter 2nd rounder?

THere is a football writer, I forgot his name , who is very high on Spencer Rattler. He thinks he could turn out to be the best of the QBS in the draft. He is not advocating picking Rattler with the 6th pick.

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 28, 2024, 10:29:18 AMMy thought is the Giants will have options.

MG, those are, as of late January, the most probable options. There will be many others as we get closer to April.

Another option, though it's a long shot, is that the Giants could try to trade for the number one pick. It would be a risky move, but it is a possibility.

Also, as the teams evaluate these QBs much more closely, their status might change. Everyone right now has Williams, Maye and Daniels as locks going one, two and three. Maybe one of the top three teams find flaws in them and deem them not worthy of that high a pick? Maybe Nix, Penix and/or McCarthy elevate themselves in the evaluation process? Maybe Washington, after hiring Ben Johnson as head coach, decides, especially after, as a Detroit coach, seeing him play twice a year, that they will trade a second round (or third round, not sure what value he has), for Justin Fields, use their second pick on Harrison Jr, to team with their other very good WR, and go from there instead of gambling on Maye or Daniels. There will be multiple scenarios that might play out before draft day so, yes, everyone right now has the three QBs going first, that could very well change. I will say that Williams, of the the three, will not move. He will be the first pick. But it might not be Chicago who picks him. Maybe they swap with Washington, keep Fields, and draft the very talented Marvin Harrison? So many thing could happen between now and April's draft.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 28, 2024, 11:18:51 AMMG, those are, as of late January, the most probable options. There will be many others as we get closer to April.

Another option, though it's a long shot, is that the Giants could try to trade for the number one pick. It would be a risky move, but it is a possibility.

Also, as the teams evaluate these QBs much more closely, their status might change. Everyone right now has Williams, Maye and Daniels as locks going one, two and three. Maybe one of the top three teams find flaws in them and deem them not worthy of that high a pick? Maybe Nix, Penix and/or McCarthy elevate themselves in the evaluation process? Maybe Washington, after hiring Ben Johnson as head coach, decides, especially after, as a Detroit coach, seeing him play twice a year, that they will trade a second round (or third round, not sure what value he has), for Justin Fields, use their second pick on Harrison Jr, to team with their other very good WR, and go from there instead of gambling on Maye or Daniels. There will be multiple scenarios that might play out before draft day so, yes, everyone right now has the three QBs going first, that could very well change. I will say that Williams, of the the three, will not move. He will be the first pick. But it might not be Chicago who picks him. Maybe they swap with Washington, keep Fields, and draft the very talented Marvin Harrison? So many thing could happen between now and April's draft.

No doubt things can and likely will change.   However, there are only a few things that will move the needle and the Senior Bowl is a big one.  That's why I did this, so that we are up to speed and can participate or at least appreciate the changes you speak of.   The Combine and interviews will be the other major movers with pro days playing a lesser role.

Later I will do similar writeup for McCarthy and perhaps the top 3.

In terms of trading up, I consider that a major Longshot.   Teams needing QBs don't trade away there chance to draft an elete QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 28, 2024, 11:26:10 AMIn terms of trading up, I consider that a major Longshot.   Teams needing QBs don't trade away there chance to draft an elete QB.

Totally agree. The only chance is the Bears, and I view it as a low probability chance. Most likely they're going to take a QB. The only vestige of hope I have is that they didn't fire their head coach, which might point towards a continuity theme. Fields also played well down the stretch last year, and the fans are very much behind him. I'd give it a 20% or so chance that they keep him and trade down. If that's the case, I hope Schoen is in Poles' ear early and often in the process and is prepared to do whatever it takes. I know many disagree with me on that stance, and that's obviously fine.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 11:37:55 AMTotally agree. The only chance is the Bears, and I view it as a low probability chance. Most likely they're going to take a QB. The only vestige of hope I have is that they didn't fire their head coach, which might point towards a continuity theme. Fields also played well down the stretch last year, and the fans are very much behind him. I'd give it a 20% or so chance that they keep him and trade down. If that's the case, I hope Schoen is in Poles' ear early and often in the process and is prepared to do whatever it takes. I know many disagree with me on that stance, and that's obviously fine.

I agree. Williams will be the first pick, but there will be knocks on Daniels and Maye as the evaluation process heats up as well as praise for Penix, Nix, and McCarthy.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 28, 2024, 11:37:55 AMI know many disagree with me on that stance, and that's obviously fine.

It just doesn't make sense given the lack of talent across the roster and the need to add starters on both sides of the ball.

Based on the haul the Bears got last year, you're looking at trading #6, #39, and next year's first - plus a player similar to DJ Moore - to move up to #1. Let's say the Giants stick and draft Nabers at #6, McCarthy/Nix at #39, and Will Johnson (CB) with next year's first. There's no way I'm trading a legit #1 WR, a lockdown CB, a QB who could be on par/slightly less than Williams, plus someone like McKinney just to get Williams on a roster devoid of talent.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 28, 2024, 12:18:21 PMIt just doesn't make sense given the lack of talent across the roster and the need to add starters on both sides of the ball.

Based on the haul the Bears got last year, you're looking at trading #6, #39, and next year's first - plus a player similar to DJ Moore - to move up to #1. Let's say the Giants stick and draft Nabers at #6, McCarthy/Nix at #39, and Will Johnson (CB) with next year's first. There's no way I'm trading a legit #1 WR, a lockdown CB, a QB who could be on par/slightly less than Williams, plus someone like McKinney just to get Williams on a roster devoid of talent.

It really depends on that comparison with Williams.   If you see someone obtainable without a trade on a similar level to Williams then it makes sense to not trade.  If you view William's as head and shoulders above the rest as some scouts seem to, then it's worth making the trade.

Philosophers

This will be a monster decision for them.  So many 1st round QBs are failures.  To trade up, give up so much draft capital then get an Akili Smith would be a disaster.

Philosophers

I hope the Giants make up with Kafka and get a big intel dump of all the Senior Bowl players, particularly the QBs.  He should have a great sense of the intangible qualities of those players.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on January 28, 2024, 04:20:39 PMThis will be a monster decision for them.  So many 1st round QBs are failures.  To trade up, give up so much draft capital then get an Akili Smith would be a disaster.

That's the nature of the job. To not take the risk, watch others get better around you while you flounder in mediocrity is also risky. Do your homework and do what you feel is best. Live with the consequences.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on January 28, 2024, 07:01:01 PMI hope the Giants make up with Kafka and get a big intel dump of all the Senior Bowl players, particularly the QBs.  He should have a great sense of the intangible qualities of those players.
If he had a HC opportunity, wouldn't he have been offered by now, or would those teams be waiting for the playoff teams open up? I doubt they will let him go to a lateral position as they like him and his potential. That's a great point you make about getting the intel on the QB class and rest. It would make me feel good about the pick.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Philosophers on January 28, 2024, 07:01:01 PMI hope the Giants make up with Kafka and get a big intel dump of all the Senior Bowl players, particularly the QBs.  He should have a great sense of the intangible qualities of those players.

Ranaan is reporting that he's heard from somebody who knows somebody that Kafka is so upset with his treatment that he plans to sabotage Daboll's efforts to find a QB with false intel ;)
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"