News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Senior Bowl (and practice) is worth watching closely, especially the QBs

Started by MightyGiants, January 28, 2024, 09:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on January 28, 2024, 07:13:29 PMThat's the nature of the job. To not take the risk, watch others get better around you while you flounder in mediocrity is also risky. Do your homework and do what you feel is best. Live with the consequences.

After reading that Dabs may have some anger issues I am not sure about trusting anyone's due diligence there.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on January 28, 2024, 09:13:51 PMAfter reading that Dabs may have some anger issues I am not sure about trusting anyone's due diligence there.
I'm referring to Schoen, not Daboll. Schoen makes the pick. But if you are questioning Schoen's judgement in choosing Daboll as head coach, then who he picks is moot. This will all blow up again soon.

EDjohnst1981

@MightyGiants - based on everything you've read, listened to and seen, what would be your course of action if you were GM?

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on January 29, 2024, 07:26:16 AM@MightyGiants - based on everything you've read, listened to and seen, what would be your course of action if you were GM?

I assume you are talking about QBs.   Currently, there are three that I think could potentially prove to be the answer for the Giants.

There are two QBs who are possible first-round talents that I think could be nice picks for the Giants.  That's Bo Nix and JJ McCarthy.   Both were extremely productive college QBs.   I will be watching Bo Nix closely at the Senior Bowl.  I want to see if he can show quality processing (a bit tricky at the SB, but it's at least some hints).  Unfortunately, we really won't learn much more about McCarthy outside of the Combine and his Pro Day.  6th seems a bit high for both, so perhaps a small trade-down might be tempting, assuming both targets are worth drafting.    I wish we could learn about Nix's S-2 (or whatever they call that speed test) score.    The arm strength demonstrated at the Combine (assuming he throws) for McCarthy will also be interesting.

If both of those proved not to be worth a 6th (or higher first-round), I want to see what Michael Pratt, Tulane, does at the Senior Bowl (along with Milton).  One of these guys could impress to the point where they would be nice round 2 targets.  If they don't shine in the draft process, both could be round 3 options.  Another 3rd rounder, if other plans fall through, is Spenser Rattler.

I simply don't see a trade-up option as possible or even wise, so I don't consider it.  So here are my choices in order (drop to the next one if the one fails)

1)  Hope one of the elite 3 drops to NGY at 6

2)  Bo Nix or McCarthy impress to the point that drafting them at 6 is a good idea

3)  Failing that, perhaps Nix or McCarthy drop low enough in round one that the Giants trade back up to round one to snag one

4)  Pratt or Milton impress to the point that they are a good pick in round 2 (need to sign solid Vet)

5) Pratt or Milton don't impress, and they are a third-round option along with Rattler, and there would be a need to sign a solid veteran backup or potentially trade for a quality backup (I like Taylor, but he is simply too injury-prone, never saw a QB you worry about making it through series rather than games or seasons)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on January 28, 2024, 07:01:01 PMI hope the Giants make up with Kafka and get a big intel dump of all the Senior Bowl players, particularly the QBs.  He should have a great sense of the intangible qualities of those players.

Actually, Kafka is an HC of theShrine Bowl

At the Senior Bowl:

Quarterbacks coach Shea Tierney and assistant special teams coach Mike Adams will be coordinators for the game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Former NFL GM Rick Spielman breaks down Oregon QB Bo Nix ahead of the 2024 Reese's Senior Bowl and how he can improve his draft stock.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/will-bo-nixs-draft-stock-rise-at-the-senior-bowl/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Perhaps the most scrutinized players in Mobile this week will be Oregon quarterback Bo Nix and Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. Of the two, Nix is the higher-rated signal-caller for the 2024 NFL Draft, with multiple team sources having said they see Nix having first-round potential. Sources from a number of NFL teams, meanwhile, told WalterFootball.com they had Penix projected to the second day of the 2024 NFL Draft.

The first practice of Senior Bowl is typically a bit sloppy for quarterbacks, as they are working with new centers and wide receivers. That was evident as usual, but Nix still showed strong fundamentals in his opening session of the week.

Nix jumps out as having good footwork and mechanics. He lines up his feet in the old-school way, with his right foot forward on shotgun snaps, and that is the starting off point for him to be an accurate quarterback. Nix did well in the wide receiver-versus-cornerback one-on-ones, throwing passes on time and lofting in very catchable balls. The one thing missing from Nix is special arm talent. That could be seen in the team scrimmage, when he had Michigan wide receiver Roman Wilson running open on a deep out and the pass was underthrown for an incompletion. Nix's arm is good enough to start in the NFL, but he will have to be an effective player via his accuracy, decision-making, and athletic ability.

Penix did not blow the doors off the practice, but it was not a terrible showing either. He has a quality arm to make all the throws, but his footwork and fundamentals need work. The inconsistenues in those latter two areas lead to inaccuracy and streakiness as a passer. Penix also needs to gain weight for the NFL. He looked skinny and underdeveloped. The lower mass gives some answers as to why he struggled to stay healthy in college. Penix is known to not be a devoted patron of the weight room, and that is going to need to change at the pro level.

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2024practice.php
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Biggest takeaway of Tuesday's afternoon practice
The American team roster has four quarterbacks but in the two-hour afternoon practice on Tuesday, none of them emerged from the pack. Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), Joe Milton III (Tennessee), Michael Pratt (Tulane) and Carter Bradley (South Alabama) shared reps throughout practice, but it was a noticeable difference between these four passers and what we saw earlier in the day from Michael Penix Jr. (Washington) and Bo Nix (Oregon). Poor accuracy, a lack of rhythm and unfamiliarity with the route tree and wide receivers led to more missed passes than big plays or marquee moments.

It's not uncommon for quarterbacks to struggle on Day 1, but for the entire group to have issues settling in is more notable. We're hoping Wednesday is a crisper day for this group of signal-callers. Right now, Rattler is a potential fourth- or fifth-rounder on my board, and Milton, Pratt and Bradley are potential late-rounders or undrafted free agent signings. -- Miller

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39395071/senior-bowl-practice-updates-top-2024-nfl-draft-prospects-qbs-risers-buzz
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

1) Michael Penix Jr.'s arm talent stands out on Day 1.

It's tough for quarterbacks to step in and dominate on the first day of Senior Bowl practice as they acclimate to a new offense and new teammates, and each of the National Team QBs had their share of ups and downs. But of the four, Washington QB Michael Penix Jr. probably did the most to open eyes with some of his throws.

He hit Michigan WR Roman Wilson on a deep crosser to the far side of the field on one of his best throws of the day, delivering it with touch and placement between two defenders.

Penix's arm talent just looked different working next to Oregon's Bo Nix and Notre Dame's Sam Hartman. Penix also looked more comfortable taking snaps from center than the others did through one practice.

But there were at least two plays in full-team sessions where Penix likely held onto the ball too long. He also misfired on a few other passes and didn't finish his day quite as strong as he started.

The week has just begun, and Penix seemed to gain an early edge, but not so much so that the others can't catch up.

2) Experience matters for Oregon QB Bo Nix.

Nix, who left Auburn to star for the Ducks, spoke Tuesday morning about his return to his home state and what he hopes to accomplish at the Senior Bowl as a way to help launch his NFL career.

Nix said he felt his vast experience in college football (61 career starts) has helped him pick up new concepts and different terminology quickly, which can be a huge benefit during Senior Bowl week, when players are tasked with learning an offense in less than a week.

"Five offenses in five years, five different play-callers," Nix said. "So, I've been around the block."

Anyone who watched Nix play for Auburn and Oregon can attest to the differences in what he was asked to do at each place. Nix did have some underthrows as the quarterbacks and receivers started to work together for the first time on Tuesday. There also was clearly an adjustment to working under center, which Nix did very little of in college at either stop. Nix seemed to settle in more as the practice wore on, though. His footwork looked cleaner and his ball placement improved, as he hit USC WR Brennan Rice (son of legendary receiver Jerry Rice) on a nice pump-and-go for a touchdown and closed out the first team period with a good connection to Penn State TE Theo Johnson.

If Nix, who's ranked the No. 23 prospect in the draft by NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, can improve with his comfort level and execution in the days ahead, this can be a good week for him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-senior-bowl-day-1-standouts-wrs-ladd-mcconkey-roman-wilson-separating-from-pack?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

1. Lukewarm Days for Top Quarterbacks, but Some Sleeper Standouts in Mobile

The opening practice for the National squad featured two quarterback prospects in the round one discussion for many: Michael Penix, Jr. (Washington) and Bo Nix (Oregon). Although the two brand names didn't exactly "wow" anyone, it is worth noting that it's the first time they've ever thrown to these receivers in a patchwork offense. Plus, it was a light day in terms of quarterback reps/pass attempts, so nobody should've expected fireworks. With that said, here are notes on the quarterbacks:

Up

"Bazooka" Joe Milton (Tennessee) - Milton's arm strength to drive the ball through the middle of the field and throw on the move stood out above the rest of his American squad teammates. Milton has a live arm with good arm elasticity to generate velocity from different angles and platforms. He made the best throw during a 7-on-7 session where he worked a seam route to K-State tight end Ben Sinnott and looked natural, throwing to different levels off bootleg actions. My comparison for Milton is day three Anthony Richardson. He's not as freakish with his mobility and arm talent, but it's a similar skill set as the Colts QB, who went fourth overall in 2023.

Neutral

Michael Penix (Washington) - Penix was fine. He made the best downfield throw of the day in team drills for the National offense on a crossing route to Michigan's Roman Wilson, which showed off the zip he can put on the ball to beat a closing defender to the catch point. He took a couple of sacks on reps where he appeared to have few options. Overall, he didn't help himself, but he didn't hurt himself either. Penix will have to hope his tape holds up the rest of the way because there's buzz and anticipation amongst scouts about his medical evaluations over the next few months.

Michael Pratt (Tulane) - At first, Pratt looked a little overwhelmed by the play speed and wasn't testing windows downfield even in 7-on-7. His lack of aggressiveness was worrisome, but then he dropped a nice throw in the bucket on a deep corner route. Those touch intermediate shots to crossers/corners/sail routes are Pratt's bread and butter, so it was good to see that translate from his Tulane tape to the Senior Bowl practice field.

Spencer Rattler (South Carolina) - Rattler was on my "winners" list until he threw an interception at the very end of practice. The knock on Rattler was his timing and processing speed, and he did well to get through his reads, which caught the eye of scouts in attendance. However, he threw a bad interception late in the session where he lost track of the backside corner as a crossing route developed and threw the ball right to Fresno State CB Carlton Johnston — he just didn't see him. Overall, Rattler has some starting-caliber traits to work with, but he's an up-and-down player. He's also only a shade over 6-feet tall. His lack of height was noticeable.

Down

Bo Nix - This was a rough practice for Nix, who struggled with accuracy on several missed throws. He sailed a pass wide on a bootleg crosser to Tez Walker and then threw a dirt ball to Roman Wilson on another in-breaker. Nix had first-round production this past season, but his accuracy/ball placement is very inconsistent on anything over ten air yards.

https://www.patriots.com/news/senior-bowl-notebook-standouts-from-the-first-day-of-practices-in-mobile
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Interesting article on Penix Jr in the NY Times this morning. https://theathletic.com/5228052/2024/01/26/michael-penix-nfl-draft-cj-stroud/

Basically saying that some of the first round busts have never faced adversity and when they come into the NFL and do, they crumble. Penix, we know has faced plenty. Good pros and cons by scouts in the article.