News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Round one non-Giants draft discussion thread

Started by MightyGiants, April 25, 2024, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 09:41:07 PMThe 2 backups moved the ball better than the 40 million dollar QB (with the same Oline - except Pugh)

Are we forgetting that our best OL guy wasn't there for Jones?  Thomas being out was kind of significant, no?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:45:35 PMDJ went up against Dallas and San Fran first two games against top 5 defenses.

The first five out of six teams he faced were all playoff teams, before getting hurt.

Taylor and Devito went up against inferior competition.

Taylor put up 9 points against Buffalo, a top 5 defense.

Taylor like Jones was also hurt after only 3 games behind this O line.

Let me ask you a question.

The Giants have added a legitimate #1 WR, he is explosive.

If they strengthen the O line.

Do you think DJ will have better stats this year?

or will he be worse?

He will absolutely be better and I'll root like hell when he does.

killarich

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:47:43 PMHonestly, this is pedantic waffling around the term "done with" for no real purpose. So I am, actually, done with discussing it.

FACT is they viewed lack of WR #1 as more of a need then Jones being at QB

I get your point about after next season ..... but this is literally factual at this point

sxdxca38

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:42:53 PMAnd when DJ is cut after this season, will you admit the Giants were "completely done" with him but for considerations having nothing to do with his talents? He's still on the team because of cap considerations. You appear to be declaring victory on DJ's behalf--why I don't know--because the Giants didn't draft the 4th QB at 6, a move that would be a disproportionate utilization of valuable draft capital.

I literally haven't criticized DJ at all in this thread, just noted that the pick of a WR is not confirmation of faith in him. But the defensiveness of DJ against logic is clear.

You just said when the Giants cut DJ after this year.

That is an assumption that you have made, and an indirect criticism of his play, which shows you have no confidence in him.

If DJ has a bounce back year, and the Giants start winning again, will you admit the Giants weren't completely done with him?

And that Rich Eisen was completely wrong spreading misinformation?

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 25, 2024, 09:45:35 PMWhere would you put the 2025 class with the end of 2022 version of the 2023 class.  That is the REAL comparison.
Would probably be

1.Caleb
2.Maye
3.Nix
4/5.Penix/Sanders
6.Ewers
7.Ward
8.Daniels

AZGiantFan

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:47:43 PMHonestly, this is pedantic waffling around the term "done with" for no real purpose. So I am, actually, done with discussing it.

I agree, along with the insistent 'will you agree X if Y' answers being demanded.

Not slowing my roll

Trench

Please don't misunderstand me. I think jones can be ok. Not elite. He needs to stop locking on WR and he needs to be better in 2 minutes and get rid of the fast feet we see in almost every single nationally televised game he has ever played. He hasn't learned to slow it down yet. Maybe that happens this year?...but we had 2 backups move the ball better than him last year. That's an issue

katkavage

I feel bad for Penix. You go to a team that just gave a QB a 4 year, 45 million contract. You only play if he gets hurt. And Penix is not a young rookie.

Jclayton92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:49:53 PMYou just said when the Giants cut DJ after this year.

That is an assumption that you have made, and an indirect criticism of his play, which shows you have no confidence in him.

If DJ has a bounce back year, and the Giants start winning again, will you admit the Giants weren't completely done with him?

And that Rich Eisen was completely wrong spreading misinformation?
How can you call it misinformation though when it's been factual proven the Giants were calling for a week for the patriots pick?

Also what does a bounce back year to you look like?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on April 25, 2024, 09:52:13 PMI feel bad for Penix. You go to a team that just gave a QB a 4 year, 45 million contract. You only play if he gets hurt. And Penix is not a young rookie.

At least his rookie contract is going to be worth a lot more than if he went were a lot of people thought he would.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 09:48:40 PMHe will absolutely be better and I'll root like hell when he does.

Okay cool, thank you for being intellectually honest with your answer, that means a lot.

Let's see what happens this year, and lets hope for a bounce back year for DJ and the team

AZGiantFan

Wow, first defensive player is picked 15th.

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:53:13 PMHow can you call it misinformation though when it's been factual proven the Giants were calling for a week for the patriots pick?

I think many believe 2022 was a big time year for Jones and would be delighted and thoroughly satisfied if he and the team did exactly that again.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:53:13 PMHow can you call it misinformation though when it's been factual proven the Giants were calling for a week for the patriots pick?

Because calling the Patriots about a potential elite rookie QB, with a huge upside similar to Allen or Herbert, is not the same thing as saying they were "completely done" with DJ as Eisen pontificated all over the net.

todge

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 09:41:07 PMThe 2 backups moved the ball better than the 40 million dollar QB (with the same Oline - except Pugh)
It wasn't the same OL. The most important piece was Thomas and he was out. Bredeson was terrible and ultimately replaced by Pugh.

DeVito faced two of the worst teams in the league. He flopped after that and Taylor returned. But both backups didn't have to face the best teams in the league with superior pass rushers the first five games.

It looks as if you are saying both Taylor and DeVito are better than Jones. Interesting take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk