News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Total eclipse 2024

Started by LennG, January 24, 2024, 02:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Mark this date, Apr 8, 2024 where there will be a total eclipse of the sun thru a good part of the country especially NY.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Easy to remember the date, it's our daughter's birthday. Unfortunately California's central coast, where I am, will only see a mid-40's percent eclipse. I still may play Pink Floyd's song Eclipse, from their Dark Side of the Moon album when I go outside to experience it.  8))

Bill Brown

If I drive about an hour or so I can be in the 100 mile "Path of totality" 

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

Getting closer. Heard many libraries are giving away free glasses to watch.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Lenn. How close are you to the path of totality?

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

I bought a dozen glasses and handed them out to my kids and grandkids. I'm taking a load of grandkids about 75 miles straight north to be in the dead center of the path...depending on the weather. If it's cloudy east of Lake Ontario, I'll just go straight up to Oswego, or head towards Rochester if it's the only way to get a clear sky. Either way, it's going to be totally dark, but I'd like to see the ring of fire around the black moon. I have to leave a couple of hours early because of the traffic expected on Route 81. Newspapers are saying the highways are going to be packed. Really hope there are no accidents that make me sit on the highway for long periods of time...that would suck! Been there, done that. Schools are closing (because they know kids aren't coming to school anyway) and people will be traveling north in droves. Even the hotel rooms are all booked (which I don't need one)

Funny thing that I read a few days ago. "Beware of wild animals", they get all out of sync with their body when it's totally black when it's unexpected and act strangely. They are known to attack people...LOL...go figure. At least we don't have lions and other dangerous animals around here

First time Upstate New York will get a full eclipse in a hundred years. Pretty sure I won't be around the next time there's a full blackout eclipse. I'll take photos and share here

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2024/03/12-hour-traffic-jams-ny-officials-warn-of-gridlock-before-eclipse.html
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 27, 2024, 02:20:45 PMLenn. How close are you to the path of totality?

Bill

NYC is supposed to be able to view the eclipse at about 90%.

Next one is in about 50 years from this one.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

With all this prep and posturing, I sure hope we have a nice day.

Charlie Weiss

bamagiantfan

I will be in Indianapolis with my wife and one of my children and his girlfriend. I have a daughter (Meteorologist - North Dakota University) who will be coming to Tyler College in Indiana for some weather balloon launching during the eclipse. Thinking of JimV.

Think sunny thoughts!  8))
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

LennG

Quote from: bamagiantfan on March 28, 2024, 01:24:34 PMI will be in Indianapolis with my wife and one of my children and his girlfriend. I have a daughter (Meteorologist - North Dakota University) who will be coming to Tyler College in Indiana for some weather balloon launching during the eclipse. Thinking of JimV.

Quote from: bamagiantfan on March 28, 2024, 01:24:34 PMI will be in Indianapolis with my wife and one of my children and his girlfriend. I have a daughter (Meteorologist - North Dakota University) who will be coming to Tyler College in Indiana for some weather balloon launching during the eclipse. Thinking of JimV.

You are so right about Jim. Gosh he would be in seventh heaven over this (no pun intended). I'm sure he will be watching with a good seat, right up front.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Jolly Blue Giant

In the news:

- Route 81 (the North-South "main artery" through Upstate NY), could get log jams that could cause up to 12-hour delays...oh, what fun  ~X(

- Buffalo, NY has already declared a "state of emergency" in the expectation more than a million people will inundate the streets and overall area  <:-P

As for me, I'm staying off Route 81 and taking back roads north, but probably not as far as originally planned. Probably just go to Syracuse, a typical 45-minute drive. I'll still get the 100% blackout, but it will only last one minute, vs. 3 minutes if I went up to Watertown or Oswego. I don't think the next 50 miles for an extra 2 minutes of darkness is worth it. Even so, I'm still worried about traffic, even on the back roads as I'm sure I am not the only one to figure that out

Jolly Blue Giant

Syracuse is predicting a million vehicles traveling to or through Onondaga County. Because of it, they are closing schools, courthouses, even Wegmans is closing for an hour.

"...the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office to predict 1 million people will pass through the county over the weekend and Monday to get to and from their eclipse destinations.

That estimate is based on what other areas have seen during recent total eclipses, especially a part of Kentucky was in the path of totality in 2017, said Tom Newton, spokesman for the department.

County officials said Tuesday that given the high number of hotel rooms booked in Central New York on Sunday night, and the colossal traffic jams experienced by cities along the 2017 solar eclipse path, local residents should be prepared for heavy traffic.
"

Warning of severe traffic jams...yay  :boooo:

Something tells me it's going to take up my whole day just to drive 60 or so miles north  :(

Jolly Blue Giant

A little anti-climactic given the cloudy day, but still fascinating. An astronomical wonder that causes pause to a thinking person

Used my glasses for the beginning, but went against all warnings and just looked at it for a few seconds at a time. I can still see today, so that's a positive. A couple of pics

bamagiantfan

Indianapolis was great. A few thin high clouds but sunny overall with no obstruction whatsoever. It was my son's girlfriend's first view of an eclipse, and she was completely in awe and giddy. Good time all around and the "Lunacy in Indy" put on by the city was terrific for all ages.

Next Eclipse is the US is in 2044. If anyone needs a pair of glasses, I'm, selling six pairs......cheap.  :dance:
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)