News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the O line being ignored (left to chances) again?

Started by GloryDays, April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todge

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 28, 2024, 04:40:54 PMWith Neal, I need to see it to remotely believe it. It's one thing to be brutal as a rookie but it's another to continue to be awful in year two and show no meaningful improvement.

I have no issue with him being given another opportunity at RT by the new coach, but I would not wait long at all to get Elumenor in there in his place if he plays like a human turnstile again.
If Neal fails again, they can move Eluemunor to right tackle. I believe it was Baldinger who said "if you can't play right tackle, then you can't play guard either."The responsibilities are different but still complex. We would be asking Neal to learn a new position yikes!

Don't sleep on Aaron Stinnie. He was a solid starter at Guard for Tampa until he hurt his knee in preseason. He could play right Guard with Runyan at left Guard or they could switch the two. In the event of injury, Nelson is a decent swing tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 28, 2024, 12:05:56 PMI often think fans somewhat overrate the importance of coaching (relative to the importance of the actual talent level on the roster), but with O line in particular I think coaching matters quite a bit. I don't know exactly how good Carmen Bricillo is or will be, but I am extremely confident that he is at least somewhat of an upgrade over Woody Johnson, and I am cautiously optimistic that he may be a very large upgrade over Woody Johnson. I'm eager to see what impact he is able to have.

Neal was a total disaster for us at RT last year as well as in his rookie year. That was a major source of the trouble (albeit far from the only one). Elumenor played at a respectable level last year at RT for Vegas, for Bricilo. I don't know if they're planning on giving Neal another shot at RT and using Elumenor as a guard, but either way I think it's safe to say that we'll have much better RT play this year. Either Neal suddenly gets much better, or Elumenor takes over. Either way, that side of the line will be a lot better than the last couple of years, where we were counting on Neal and Glowinski whereas now we have Runyan and either a much improved Neal or Elumenor, who is solid.

That alone is big IMO. If Thomas can stay healthy, and JMS can improve from his rookie season (not a huge stretch), this line can be quite decent actually. Runyan is going to be fine, Thomas is an all pro caliber guy when healthy, Elumenor was a 70ish PFF caliber RT under this coach last year, and JMS is a talented player who had a rough rookie year but figures to hopefully improve in year two. Left guard is a bit of a question mark but we have multiple options there, so hopefully the best (or least bad) of all of those options is good enough to not mess up the whole line.

I actually think this will be a league-average line this year.

What was league average 40 something sacks? That would just mean we cut our sacks in half in one year...by becoming.... average  :scared:  =)) 

killarich

Quote from: GloryDays on April 27, 2024, 01:50:05 PMI think this team just doesn't get it. The offense lives and dies through their line.
Just throwing bodies at it doesn't work. Other teams' leftovers is not the way to have a dominant O line.
Just look at the Steelers. Their O line was decent, check their draft!
Evan Neal is a bust, who is the RT we can rely on to stop the pressure on DJ from that edge? Are they really relying on Eluemunor or Cajuste?
Who is behind Schmitz? Even if he improves, who's backing him up, Morrissey?
This to me is weird.. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. They are ignoring to address the line effectively, like they did last year too.

We have a center going into year 2 and made 2 offseason signings that both will probably be day 1 starters and a new o-line coach

Neal is the obvious question mark

We drafted o line high the last 2 drafts and made offseason signings this year

It's not that they are ignoring the o-line but you have to build the rest of team at some point

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 28, 2024, 09:05:18 PMWhat was league average 40 something sacks? That would just mean we cut our sacks in half in one year...by becoming.... average  :scared:  =)) 

Exactly.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

jgrangers2

How are there so many people saying the Giants have ignored the O-line? Is it really just because we didn't draft Cooper Beebe or Christian Haynes in the third round (as if either of them are automatics who would solve our problems immediately). The Giants' plan this year was very clearly to make the OL the focus of their FA plan and go elsewhere in the draft. They did that. Both of their starting guards will likely be recent FA pickups.

And the most important move they may have made in the offseason was their new OL coach. If he can help develop the guys already here, that's a huge acquisition without spending a dollar of cap space or draft capital.

Gman329

Just feels like they threw a lot of mediocrity at the problem.  And the spotlight on Neal's struggles somewhat obscured the fact that Schmitz had a subpar, disappointing rookie year.  Are we so sure he'll turn the corner?

T200

Quote from: Gman329 on April 29, 2024, 08:30:28 AMJust feels like they threw a lot of mediocrity at the problem.  And the spotlight on Neal's struggles somewhat obscured the fact that Schmitz had a subpar, disappointing rookie year.  Are we so sure he'll turn the corner?
I think we're more hopeful than sure. At this point, it's all we have to look forward to. If we don't have hope, what's the point?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gman329 on April 29, 2024, 08:30:28 AMJust feels like they threw a lot of mediocrity at the problem.  And the spotlight on Neal's struggles somewhat obscured the fact that Schmitz had a subpar, disappointing rookie year.  Are we so sure he'll turn the corner?

JMS was a highly touted prospect prior to the Giants drafting him.  I think it's reasonable to be optimistic in year two under the guidance of better coaching.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on April 28, 2024, 08:56:55 PMIf Neal fails again, they can move Eluemunor to right tackle. I believe it was Baldinger who said "if you can't play right tackle, then you can't play guard either."The responsibilities are different but still complex. We would be asking Neal to learn a new position yikes!

Don't sleep on Aaron Stinnie. He was a solid starter at Guard for Tampa until he hurt his knee in preseason. He could play right Guard with Runyan at left Guard or they could switch the two. In the event of injury, Nelson is a decent swing tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have seen a couple of failed tackles perform okay at guard, including Robert Gallery, Ereck Flowers, and Andrus Peat.  Neal played a season of guard in college, so it's not like he has never played there.  Plus the phonebooth nature of the guard spot should minimize his weakness in terms of lack of balance and slow off the snap.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Is Neal deaf in his left ear?  Could that be why he is slow off the snap?

AZGiantFan

They have spent 2 #1s and a #2 on the OL.  If 2 of 3 are, so far, mediocrities then it happened at the catching end, not the throwing end.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

B1GBLUE

we went heavy on oline in FA. I agree we need to re-stock through every means necessary. but if the guys we took in the draft were higher than our board than a OL we were gonna reach for, i'd rather take the guys we picked. We have no first year players on the line and i think thats a good thing.

TLDR,

we have more work to do but i dont think you can say its been ignored.

Uncle Mickey

Don't know if this video was ever posted or viewed by many of those of Big Blue Folk Lore but when NYG first signed Bracillo so quickly at the outset of the off-season, I binged a bunch of videos and articles on him. I just stumbled on this one recently and its probably my favorite. If half of what this Raider beat who seems to know Bracillo quite well is true we got ourselves a winner. He follows a Hall of Fame line-up of former coaches such as: Mike Solari, Hal Hunter, Columbo, Gugliemo and Booby Johnson. The bar has been so low for so long we forgot what a good OL ball coach looks like.