News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Justin Fields

Started by andrew_nyGiants, May 08, 2023, 08:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

There are a lot of so called experts claiming that this kid is a rapidly ascending QB and more than one "poll?" have gone as far as to rank him a top 5 QB.

So

Two questions:
1) Do you believe the hype?

2) Will there ever be a time when we're saying we should've picked him and traded DJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

PSUBeirut

Absolutely not on both accounts, in my opinion. He's proven to be quite decent fantasy QB so far and that's it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 08, 2023, 08:24:37 AMThere are a lot of so called experts claiming that this kid is a rapidly ascending QB and more than one "poll?" have gone as far as to rank him a top 5 QB.

So

Two questions:

2) Will there ever be a time when we're saying we should've picked him and traded DJ?

Andrew

The reality is that it's extremely difficult to compare QBs.   QB performance is dependent on coaching/scheme, protection, and targets.

If you look at the talent the Bears have acquired on offense, it's pretty tempting to predict a major improvement from Fields (similar to what we saw from Hurts).  The Bears have put together a very strong offensive line and have a really good collection of targets for Fields to throw to.

I think a perfect example of what I am talking about would be Eli Manning.  With the right support, he was a 2X Super Bowl-winning QB who many argued was elite.   As the talent and coaching around him diminished, so did Eli's production.

One other thought, if Fields is so good, why were the Bears the worst team in the NFL last season?  Te Bears were able to capitalize on that position to acquire another good WR and draft capital as a result.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Fields was in the process of developing last year when the Giants faced him. Two years less experience than Daniel Jones who was still developing and given quite a lot of slack by his minions.

I think Fields has the potential to be a top ten QB. I won't ever compare him to DJ. They both will have different needs of support and it remains to be seen if either can attain expectations. I don't see Fields as a generational talent if that's what you're asking Andrew.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback all.

I am not unhappy with the ROI from the trade down to this point.

Just wondering if the perception of the approach was any different today than it was when it happened.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

bamagiantfan

This is the roster the year he was drafted. Look closely at the Defense, their ages, and how many are no longer in Chicago. When Fields came in during 2021, Chicago finished with the 6th ranked Defense in the NFL. The following year, last year, they ranked 29th, and last in points against. He has elevated that Offense with mediocre weapons but can't keep up with the Offenses he has played against. Daniel Jones didn't play this well when the Defense was struggling. I think Fields could be even better if he isn't asked to score 28+ per game to win. Unfortunately for him, I don't see that changing much this year.

Offensive Starters               
QB   Justin Fields   22   Rook   10   159 for 270, 1,870 yards, 7 td, 10 int, & 72 rushes for 420 yards and 2 td   
RB   David Montgomery   24   2   13   225 rushes for 849 yards, 7 td, & 42 catches for 301 yards and 0 td   
WR   Darnell Mooney   24   1   14   81 catches for 1,055 yards, 4 td, & 6 rushes for 32 yards and 1 td   
WR   Allen Robinson   28   7   11   38 catches for 410 yards, 1 td   
TE   Jesse James   27   6   9   7 catches for 62 yards, 1 td   
TE   Cole Kmet   22   1   17   60 catches for 612 yards, 0 td, & 1 rush for yards and 0 td   
LT   Jason Peters   39   17   15      
LG   Cody Whitehair   29   5   17      
C   Sam Mustipher   25   1   17      
RG   James Daniels   24   3   17      
RT   Larry Borom   22   Rook   8      
   Defensive Starters               
LDE   Angelo Blackson   29   6   8   2.5 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered   
NT   Eddie Goldman   27   6   10   0.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered   
RDE   Bilal Nichols   25   3   15   3.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered   
LOLB   Robert Quinn*   31   10   16   18.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered   
LILB   Alec Ogletree   30   8   16      
RILB   Roquan Smith   24   3   17   3.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered   
ROLB   Khalil Mack   30   7   7   6.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered   
LCB   Jaylon Johnson   22   1   15   0.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered   
RCB   Kindle Vildor   24   1   12   1.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered   
SS   Tashaun Gipson   31   9   12   1.0 sacks, 2 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered   
FS   Eddie Jackson   28   4   14   
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Rambo89

Don't see what is so special about him other than being an elusive runner.  I don't think he's as good as Lamar Jackson and definitely don't think he's as good as the elite QB's in the game.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kingm56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 08, 2023, 08:24:37 AMThere are a lot of so called experts claiming that this kid is a rapidly ascending QB and more than one "poll?" have gone as far as to rank him a top 5 QB.

So

Two questions:

I'm NO expert, but I posted around week 7 that Fields was ascending, which was met with a LOT skeptics; I suspect he's going to be a top 5 QB in the NFC this season. The kid can just play, despite having the worst offensive support in the NFL. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on May 08, 2023, 03:58:30 PMI'm NO expert, but I posted around week 7 that Fields was ascending, which was met with a LOT skeptics; I suspect he's going to be a top 5 QB in the NFC this season. The kid can just play, despite having the worst offensive support in the NFL. 

What evidence led you to believe that Fields has the "worst offensive support system in the NFL"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE