News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Deonte banks

Started by afan56, August 11, 2023, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

He was coming back from an ACL tear in his last college game. I would hardly call him a bust. Before year 2 is really early to do so.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 13, 2023, 01:11:11 PMHe was coming back from an ACL tear in his last college game. I would hardly call him a bust. Before year 2 is really early to do so.

I don't think anyone here has.

But he does need to do something noticeable this year. Guy was a first round pick, and good receivers are now good as rookies and usually very good in year two. Williams needs to do something this year after he gets back from his suspension. Otherwise he'll start to fall out of favor pretty quickly.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 13, 2023, 08:09:10 AM@RelaxTension

If you watch the one replay angle, that "drop" was helped by Banks.   Banks pulled the veteran move of grabbing the receiver's arms rather than just tackling him.

It looked to me that he was in excellent position to make a quick dislodging tackle had the ball been "caught"
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Dgoodmantrublu

JCClayton92 used the word bust. That is what I was responding to.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 13, 2023, 01:15:36 PMI don't think anyone here has.

But he does need to do something noticeable this year. Guy was a first round pick, and good receivers are now good as rookies and usually very good in year two. Williams needs to do something this year after he gets back from his suspension. Otherwise he'll start to fall out of favor pretty quickly.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 13, 2023, 01:36:36 PMJCClayton92 used the word bust. That is what I was responding to.

You're right, my bad.

TBF, I took his post to mean "so far" he has been, but fair enough.

To me, this guy is a guy who excelled at an elite program against elite competition, had an injury that limited him significantly in his rookie season, and then had this suspension. Personally I am reserving conclusive judgment at this point.

Dgoodmantrublu

That's why I said it is too early. I still bet he'll be a very good player.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 13, 2023, 01:40:39 PMYou're right, my bad.

TBF, I took his post to mean "so far" he has been, but fair enough.

To me, this guy is a guy who excelled at an elite program against elite competition, had an injury that limited him significantly in his rookie season, and then had this suspension. Personally I am reserving conclusive judgment at this point.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 13, 2023, 01:36:36 PMJCClayton92 used the word bust. That is what I was responding to.

I did mean until this point when referring to him being a bust because he has given the Lions absolutely nothing to be excited about so far. A 1st rd pick who only had 6 catches in 6 games, has been suspended now for gambling for 6 games this year, went like 2 for 8 with a drop in his 1st preseason game, and even the Lions hc said they were having to start from square one with with him. Definitely not something that gets you really excited for his future, at least in my eyes because his name wasn't even brought up in the joint practices as doing anything of note.

True Blue

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 13, 2023, 03:13:09 PMI did mean until this point when referring to him being a bust because he has given the Lions absolutely nothing to be excited about so far. A 1st rd pick who only had 6 catches in 6 games, has been suspended now for gambling for 6 games this, went like 2 for 8 with a drop in his 1st preseason game, and even the Lions hc said they were having to start from square one with with him. Definitely not something that gets you really excited for his future, at least in my eyes because his name wasn't even brought up in the joint practices as doing anything of note.

I believe they traded up to get him too. Which makes it even worse sonce they have gotten virtually no return on investment

Dgoodmantrublu

When they drafted him, they knew they wouldn't get anything from him last year. He blew out his knee in the national championship game. They been very excited about how he's looked in practice this year. And that wasn't really a drop. Banks had a lot to do with that play. But there seems to be a big effort to not give Banks any effort for that play.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 13, 2023, 03:13:09 PMI did mean until this point when referring to him being a bust because he has given the Lions absolutely nothing to be excited about so far. A 1st rd pick who only had 6 catches in 6 games, has been suspended now for gambling for 6 games this, went like 2 for 8 with a drop in his 1st preseason game, and even the Lions hc said they were having to start from square one with with him. Definitely not something that gets you really excited for his future, at least in my eyes because his name wasn't even brought up in the joint practices as doing anything of note.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 13, 2023, 03:49:28 PMWhen they drafted him, they knew they wouldn't get anything from him last year. He blew out his knee in the national championship game. They been very excited about how he's looked in practice this year. And that wasn't really a drop. Banks had a lot to do with that play. But there seems to be a big effort to not give Banks any effort for that play.

I called it a drop because statistically it was recorded as one. Banks did a good job, he's a first rd pick so the expectation should that he makes that play. Just Google Jameson Williams news, nothing positive pops up. So while Jameson williams may become something, he hasn't until this point and leaves a lot left to be desired ala Toney from last year.

Historically rookie corners don't fair well and because of that I always keep my expectations low. I'm a happy about good plays but also grounded in my expectations that it'll likely be a long season filled with ups and downs. As long as we get to the end of the season and Banks is a value add and not a liability I'll be extremely happy as it seems we'll have gotten a 2 for the price of 1 in Banks and Hawkins as a our starting duo for the distant future which is amazing since we Historically don't do well drafting the position.

Dgoodmantrublu

My attitude is always sports should be fun, so I'll be optimistic as long as I can. But to each their own.