News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Jones Neck Injury Give Schoen an Easy Out?

Started by WheresDayne, October 11, 2023, 07:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WheresDayne

Jones has a neck injury and from what i'm hearing, it's a different one from the last one.  Does this give Schoen an easy out to draft a new QB and say it's safety for a possible career ending injury for Jones?  Seems like this could tie everything up with a neat little bow if they decide to move on from Jones.

Gmo11

His play on the field this season is plenty reason enough to move on if they are in a position to draft a guy.

MightyGiants

I am not sure you want to be the team that is in the market for a new QB because you ended the career of your last QB by failing to protect him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 07:28:48 AMI am not sure you want to be the team that is in the market for a new QB because you ended the career of your last QB by failing to protect him.
I'm pretty certain NOBODY wants to be that team. But circumstances being what they are, Schoen has to do what's best for the team.

Plus, players get hurt all the time. Washington didn't end Theissmann's career because they failed to protect him from LT.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

WheresDayne

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 07:28:48 AMI am not sure you want to be the team that is in the market for a new QB because you ended the career of your last QB by failing to protect him.

I absolutely agree, but if your QB is hurt and is a hit away from possibly being done, you have to consider a replacement sooner rather than later.  This season has been a nightmare and some tough decisions are going to have to be made.

Rambo89

Quote from: T200 on October 11, 2023, 07:54:15 AMI'm pretty certain NOBODY wants to be that team. But circumstances being what they are, Schoen has to do what's best for the team.

Plus, players get hurt all the time. Washington didn't end Theissmann's career because they failed to protect him from LT.

With what happened to Andrew Luck that didn't stop the Colts or Anthony Richardson from him being drafted by them this season.  Philip Rivers had no issue signing with them and he was at the end of his career.

IMO what this will come down to is how the rest of the season goes and whether the Giants end up with a draft pick that has them in a position to draft a QB prospect that Schoen and this regime loves.  I don't believe Jones's situation will dictate that with how his contract is structured.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 11, 2023, 07:54:15 AMI'm pretty certain NOBODY wants to be that team. But circumstances being what they are, Schoen has to do what's best for the team.

This sort of circles to the point of why a young QB would want to play for the NY Giants.  Consider this fictional exchange:

NY Giants:  We would like you to play for the NY Giants and be our starting QB

Hot QB Prospect:  That sounds nice, what happened to your last starter?

NY Giants:  Ah, we let him take such a beating that it ended his career

Hot QB Prospect:  My agent will get back to  you

NY Giants:  It will be different this time

Hot QB Prospect:  Why should I believe that?

Sadly, as the author of this fictional narrative, I don't have a good answer to the question posed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 10:08:05 AMThis sort of circles to the point of why a young QB would want to play for the NY Giants. 
I don't see it as an issue at all. Doesn't even hit the radar for me.

Players get drafted to crappy teams each and every year. Not wanting to be drafted by a team and openly not going to a team are two very different scenarios.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 10:08:05 AMThis sort of circles to the point of why a young QB would want to play for the NY Giants.  Consider this fictional exchange:

NY Giants:  We would like you to play for the NY Giants and be our starting QB

Hot QB Prospect:  That sounds nice, what happened to your last starter?

NY Giants:  Ah, we let him take such a beating that it ended his career

Hot QB Prospect:  My agent will get back to  you

NY Giants:  It will be different this time

Hot QB Prospect:  Why should I believe that?

Sadly, as the author of this fictional narrative, I don't have a good answer to the question posed.
It's not their call to make. There are worse fates in life than being a high first round pick of the NY Giants. Ask Eli  Manning who made sure he went to the Giants. It is ridiculous to believe a college QB would reject draft status for a year just to avoid being picked by a team in the biggest media market in the world.

zephirus

With the exception of Eli Manning and John Elway back in the day, I don't recall a QB ever welching on the team that initially drafted him or outright told them not to draft him.  Joe Burrow might be the latest example of a QB who was brought on to a pretty woeful team with a terrible offensive line, and promptly got hurt and missed most of his rookie year.  Things have gone pretty well since then. 

I'm not saying I think drafting a QB next year is the right move, I think from a salary cap perspective you're almost obligated to give Jones another year and shore up the offensive line as best you can in a single off-season.

Rambo89

Quote from: katkavage on October 11, 2023, 10:23:01 AMIt's not their call to make. There are worse fates in life than being a high first round pick of the NY Giants. Ask Eli  Manning who made sure he went to the Giants. It is ridiculous to believe a college QB would reject draft status for a year just to avoid being picked by a team in the biggest media market in the world.

And ridiculous to believe one prior QB that didn't work out will make an elite QB prospect not want to play for that team when the QB prior to that played for 15 years not missing a start due to injury.  It's taking one QB and one situation blowing it completely out of proportion.

MightyGiants

Quote from: zephirus on October 11, 2023, 10:26:47 AMWith the exception of Eli Manning and John Elway back in the day, I don't recall a QB ever welching on the team that initially drafted him or outright told them not to draft him.  Joe Burrow might be the latest example of a QB who was brought on to a pretty woeful team with a terrible offensive line, and promptly got hurt and missed most of his rookie year.  Things have gone pretty well since then. 

I'm not saying I think drafting a QB next year is the right move, I think from a salary cap perspective you're almost obligated to give Jones another year and shore up the offensive line as best you can in a single off-season.

Name, Image, and Likeness give QBs who still have eligibility new found freedom and flexibility.  In the past, QBs had to pass up getting millions of dollars to stay in college, now, they can earn millions of dollars staying in college.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 10:34:20 AMName, Image, and Likeness give QBs who still have eligibility new found freedom and flexibility.  In the past, QBs had to pass up getting millions of dollars to stay in college, now, they can earn millions of dollars staying in college.
Not if they are projected top 5. They get money in college but lose a year of a rookie contract that leads to the big pay day. Nope. Not happening. And who is to say a preferred team will pick them the next year? Or they could suffer an injury and their status sinks. The premise is a massive stretch to say the least.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on October 11, 2023, 10:40:09 AMNot if they are projected top 5. They get money in college but lose a year of a rookie contract that leads to the big pay day. Nope. Not happening. And who is to say a preferred team will pick them the next year? Or they could suffer an injury and their status sinks. The premise is a massive stretch to say the least.

Massive stretch?

Carl Williams, Caleb's father, told Sam Schube of GQ that his son could return to school if he feels uncomfortable with the team that might select him:

"The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he'd almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. The system is completely backwards," he says. "The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation. The worst possible team, the worst organization in the league—because of their desire for parity—gets the first pick. So it's the gift and the curse. I mean, I've talked to Archie Manning—his career was shot because he went to a horrible organization. I've talked to Lincoln [Riley], and Kyler [Murray] struggled because of where he was drafted. Baker [Mayfield] struggled mightily because of where he was drafted. The organizations matter. ... He's got two shots at the apple. So if there's not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088461-caleb-williams-father-usc-qb-could-return-if-2024-nfl-draft-landing-spot-isnt-good
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

It's a massive stretch to say because Daniel Jones flopped for the Giants it means Williams or another prospect will stay in school an extra year.  In that article the team that is mentioned as being unattractive are the Cardinals.  And if Williams Dad talked to Archie Manning who orchestrated his son to be drafted by the Giants going onto have a HOF career it's extremely unlikely the Giants are a franchise that falls into what he is referencing.  The QB's Murray and Mayfield were drafted by the Cardinals and Browns and have had a history of being bad.  The Giants have had three regular Starting QB's this century.  It's hardly a revolving door because one QB didn't work out.