News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I am very concerned with this comment by Daniel Jones

Started by MightyGiants, October 11, 2023, 08:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Last Sunday before the game, I remember listening to former GM Randy Muller opine that if the Giants don't figure out how to protect Daniel Jones, he was going to get hurt.   It took a couple of hours of football for that prediction/warning to manifest itself.

Now, the Giants are facing the fierce Buffalo defense that held the high-flying Dolphins to 20 points, partly by putting consistent pressure on Tua.

So whoever is the starting QB on Sunday night is on a metaphorical suicide mission.   That can be quite challenging.

How does a QB, even one as tough as Daniel Jones, function if this is on his mind?

"I think the biggest thing is dealing with contact," he said. "Getting hit in a certain way exposes you. It's not necessarily what would prevent me from throwing or doing anything I need to do, but taking a similar hit could affect it."

Unless Jones is fully healed or the O-line is fixed, I don't think Jones should be lining up behind center, despite these comments by Daboll

Q: Do you have an update on (quarterback) Daniel Jones' neck? His condition at this time.

A: Yeah, I'd say we're optimistic, he's feeling better today so think he's moving in the right direction. See where he is, obviously, when he comes back on Wednesday but he doesn't feel terrible today.

Q: Do you have results from the x-ray and the scan he got today?

A: No, I'm waiting to meet with these doctors after but I'm optimistic after talking to him.

Q: Is that optimistic about this week, you mean? Or about his condition?

A: Yeah, about this week.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

And Thomas was Day to day...
Could be a smokescreen so Buffalo prepares for Jones and not TT.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Even if Jones is 100%, I would start Taylor and give DJ a week off from the constant beatings.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 11, 2023, 08:38:08 AMAnd Thomas was Day to day...
Could be a smokescreen so Buffalo prepares for Jones and not TT.

I hadn't thought of that.  I hope that is the case.  You mentioning Thomas made me think Jones should go back until Thomas is back in the lineup. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

They are going to lose this game whether Jones, Taylor or Eli Manning in his prime shows up to play QB.  The Bills are one of the 5 best teams in the NFL and the Giants as currently constructed are one of the 5 worst.  With that said, there is no reason to send Jones out there, whether healthy or not, to just take another beating and further destroy any confidence he had built after last season when he looked competent for the first time in his NFL career. 

Let Taylor start, see if there is any discernible difference with him vs Jones, and go from there.  Giving Jones a week off to decompress and really just not have to run for his life 30 times will probably do the guy a lot of good.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 11, 2023, 09:47:07 AMThey are going to lose this game whether Jones, Taylor or Eli Manning in his prime shows up to play QB.  The Bills are one of the 5 best teams in the NFL and the Giants as currently constructed are one of the 5 worst.  With that said, there is no reason to send Jones out there, whether healthy or not, to just take another beating and further destroy any confidence he had built after last season when he looked competent for the first time in his NFL career. 

Let Taylor start, see if there is any discernible difference with him vs Jones, and go from there.  Giving Jones a week off to decompress and really just not have to run for his life 30 times will probably do the guy a lot of good.

If they start Taylor, what are the odds he finishes the game?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

The Giants made a huge financial commitment to Daniel Jones in the off season with the expectation that he would be a franchise QB they could rely upon to play week in and week out.  Just as they paid Eli Manning to do so who many times especially towards the end of his career took a beating yet went out there and played each week.

If Jones is healthy enough to play he should play if not then he sits and you make do with Taylor.  But lets be honest over the last three games the Giants have scored 1 offensive touchdown so they can't be much worse regardless of who starts at QB Sunday night.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 09:50:42 AMIf they start Taylor, what are the odds he finishes the game?

Not great.  He almost didnt make it through the Dolphins game and he only played a couple series.  But I'd still like to try it rather than have a shell shocked Daniel Jones go out there and continue to take beatings.

Rambo89

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 11, 2023, 09:53:58 AMNot great.  He almost didnt make it through the Dolphins game and he only played a couple series.  But I'd still like to try it rather than have a shell shocked Daniel Jones go out there and continue to take beatings.

He'll make it through the game.  He's a veteran who knows the situation.  It's why he was brought in by this regime.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 11, 2023, 09:53:58 AMNot great.  He almost didnt make it through the Dolphins game and he only played a couple series.  But I'd still like to try it rather than have a shell shocked Daniel Jones go out there and continue to take beatings.
I think he's become fragile in his old age. Football shape is similar to boxing. You need to get toughened up to sustain hits. Ali would lay against the ropes and tell his sparing partners to hit him to the body.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

I would rest Jones and let him heal up for the next stretch of somewhat winnable games.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 11, 2023, 09:51:35 AMThe Giants made a huge financial commitment to Daniel Jones in the off season with the expectation that he would be a franchise QB they could rely upon to play week in and week out.  Just as they paid Eli Manning to do so who many times especially towards the end of his career took a beating yet went out there and played each week.

If Jones is healthy enough to play he should play if not then he sits and you make do with Taylor.  But lets be honest over the last three games the Giants have scored 1 offensive touchdown so they can't be much worse regardless of who starts at QB Sunday night.

I agree. If Jones is (1) cleared by the doctors and (2) says he wants to play, then why not play him? At 1-4 the season is over in practical terms, but it's obviously not officially over. Why would you sit your most expensive player by far if he is deemed well enough to play by medical professionals (which no coach is)? I would understand that if we were 2-10 maybe, but not 1-4. The only way you do that now is if you think Taylor gives you a better chance to win than a healthy Jones.

Coaches are not doctors. They're not even trainers.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 11, 2023, 01:01:46 PMI agree. If Jones is (1) cleared by the doctors and (2) says he wants to play, then why not play him? At 1-4 the season is over in practical terms, but it's obviously not officially over. Why would you sit your most expensive player by far if he is deemed well enough to play by medical professionals (which no coach is)? I would understand that if we were 2-10 maybe, but not 1-4. The only way you do that now is if you think Taylor gives you a better chance to win than a healthy Jones.

Coaches are not doctors. They're not even trainers.

Based on DJ's comments, this is likely a situation where he can play but until he is fully healthy there will be a risk of aggravating the injury if he gets hit a certain way.  If that is the situation, do you play him?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 11, 2023, 01:09:11 PMBased on DJ's comments, this is likely a situation where he can play but until he is fully healthy there will be a risk of aggravating the injury if he gets hit a certain way.  If that is the situation, do you play him?

Again if I were the HC, I would lean heavily on the team doctors and other medical professionals who have examined/tested him. In no way would I be supportive of endangering him (beyond the normal, accepted risks of the sport for any player), no matter the stakes. But if the docs gave me the all clear and Jones himself told me he was fully comfortable playing and wanted to, I would play him, yes.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 11, 2023, 01:13:42 PMAgain if I were the HC, I would lean heavily on the team doctors and other medical professionals who have examined/tested him. In no way would I be supportive of endangering him (beyond the normal, accepted risks of the sport for any player), no matter the stakes. But if the docs gave me the all clear and Jones himself told me he was fully comfortable playing and wanted to, I would play him, yes.

I would agree if the chance of injury is no greater than a healthy QB.  If it's greater than that, due to his neck injury, I wouldn't let Jones play, no matter how much he wanted to.   Like a boxer who doesn't know when to concede, sometimes you have to protect the athlete from themselves and throw in the towel.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE