News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Jim Harbaugh hired to be the Chargers HC

Started by shadowspinner0, January 24, 2024, 07:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on January 25, 2024, 06:51:17 PMDave - folks said he had different players at the 49ers than the prior head coach.  They said he couldn't win big games like OSU and others which was true at time however he had not turned the program truly around.

University of San Diego - never won double digit games and did by his 2nd season

Stanford - inherited a 1-11 team and got them to winning record by Year 3 and 12-1 by Year 4.

49ers - prior 49er head coaches were 9-23, 18-37, 18-22.  In his first year he cut Alex Smith's INT rate from 2.9% to 1.1% and topped 60% completion rate for first time in his career and got team to 13-3 in year 1.

At Michigan inherited a 5-7 team and made them into a contending team by year 6 and champions by year 9.

How some folks here berated him is beyond me.

I actually think these posts predated my participation here, so I'll of course take your word for it.

Harbaugh was a clear-cut proven winner/program builder before he got to Michigan. Once he did it in the NFL as a head coach I knew he was the real deal.

Michigan fans shouldn't feel too bad here. They had Harbaugh for a good long stretch, and they got their title. It was never going to be a Nick Saban situation. There has been flirtation with him going back to the NFL for a few years now. It was always going to happen at some point. At least he stuck around long enough to achieve the goal.

SUPERSEE

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 10:11:38 AMAgreed, it gives the Chargers a marquee HC to help sell tickets, and Harbaugh gets a team with a pretty good talent level and a quality QB (although I have been hearing some early rumblings from some NFL people that maybe Herbert isn't as good as advertised).
he is .. better coaching will be the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uconnjack8

It's should be a good fit for Harbaugh.  In SF he was arguably a better QB away from Lombardi.

I will say in terms of raw talent I think SF had more, especially on defense where there was at least 4 All-pros.  Still the Chargers have some talent in the secondary and certainly on offense.  Will be interesting to see how many guys improve and how much roster turnover occurs.

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 25, 2024, 08:35:33 PMIt's should be a good fit for Harbaugh.  In SF he was arguably a better QB away from Lombardi.

I will say in terms of raw talent I think SF had more, especially on defense where there was at least 4 All-pros.  Still the Chargers have some talent in the secondary and certainly on offense.  Will be interesting to see how many guys improve and how much roster turnover occurs.

I read a great Jim Harbaugh story on his first day as HC of the 49ers.  A TE from them said that the team basically had quit and was partying all the time.  On his first day, Jim tells the team, "I am going to burn the grass to find the snakes."  Immediately, he got their attention and they knew partying days were over.