News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Jim Harbaugh hired to be the Chargers HC

Started by shadowspinner0, January 24, 2024, 07:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Great decision by both the Chargers and by Harbaugh.

LennG

Good to see him back in the NFL

(and not in the NFC East)
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

uconnjack8

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 24, 2024, 07:09:43 PMGreat decision by both the Chargers and by Harbaugh.

Agreed, it gives the Chargers a marquee HC to help sell tickets, and Harbaugh gets a team with a pretty good talent level and a quality QB (although I have been hearing some early rumblings from some NFL people that maybe Herbert isn't as good as advertised).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Crushing.  I felt like with the coaching staff he assembled and players he had who clearly understood the schemes intimately that I thought Michigan could have been a relevant college football playoff team for a while.  Now, the uncertainty of how many coaches does he take, what other coaches leave then players who go into the portal and recruits who de-commit leaves so much uncertainty and a chance Michigan drops down again.

Remember the debate a few years ago here about how folks thought he was overrated and would never want him to be the Giants head coach?  Well, another team turned around under Coach Harbaugh.  The guy can flat out coach and win.  May not like his quirkiness but he delivers.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on January 25, 2024, 10:15:22 AMCrushing.  I felt like with the coaching staff he assembled and players he had who clearly understood the schemes intimately that I thought Michigan could have been a relevant college football playoff team for a while.  Now, the uncertainty of how many coaches does he take, what other coaches leave then players who go into the portal and recruits who de-commit leaves so much uncertainty and a chance Michigan drops down again.

Remember the debate a few years ago here about how folks thought he was overrated and would never want him to be the Giants head coach?  Well, another team turned around under Coach Harbaugh.  The guy can flat out coach and win.  May not like his quirkiness but he delivers.

Between the transfer portal, coaches jumping ship for better opportunities, and NIL, it's got to be tough to be a college football fan these days.  That is unless you are rooting for one of the elite wealthy teams that can buy all the players they want and tend to keep their coaches no matter what.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Just_jimmy

Oh well. Another team gets a top tier coach.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 10:19:16 AMBetween the transfer portal, coaches jumping ship for better opportunities, and NIL, it's got to be tough to be a college football fan these days.  That is unless you are rooting for one of the elite wealthy teams that can buy all the players they want and tend to keep their coaches no matter what.

I think the older coaches like Saban, Harbaugh are really done with it Rich.  Can't blame them.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on January 25, 2024, 10:15:22 AMCrushing.  I felt like with the coaching staff he assembled and players he had who clearly understood the schemes intimately that I thought Michigan could have been a relevant college football playoff team for a while.  Now, the uncertainty of how many coaches does he take, what other coaches leave then players who go into the portal and recruits who de-commit leaves so much uncertainty and a chance Michigan drops down again.

I have no idea who here said he was overrated (I'm not disputing that there are those who said that), but that's a bizarre view to have had any time in the last decade. Forget about Michigan. The jobs he did both at Stanford and the 49ers, considering the situations he was walking in to in both cases, was nothing short of superb.

As far as active coaches go, he is right at or very near the top of the list in the sport. That doesn't mean one has to like him personally, but results-wise the resume speaks for itself.

TDToomer

Why are we crying a river for a minor league football league losing a top head coach? The adulation for college football baffles me.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 25, 2024, 01:35:29 PMWhy are we crying a river for a minor league football league losing a top head coach? The adulation for college football baffles me.

College football is massive in this country. Calling it a "minor league" is sort of a misnomer in my opinion.

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 25, 2024, 01:35:29 PMWhy are we crying a river for a minor league football league losing a top head coach? The adulation for college football baffles me.

College football predates the NFL by many years.

The first college football game was played in 1869 between Rutgers University and the College of New Jersey (now known as Princeton University).

The first college football rules were written Nov. 23, 1876, in Springfield, Mass., by representatives from Columbia, Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

The first college football game on the radio was the contest between West Virginia University and Pittsburgh University on Oct. 8, 1921, broadcast on Pittsburgh radio station KDKA-AM.

The NFL started in 1920 and took years to fully establish itself
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

You can call it what you want. Farm league, feeder league. NCAA football is still a league beneath the NFL in terms of talent and having the best in the world.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Dave - folks said he had different players at the 49ers than the prior head coach.  They said he couldn't win big games like OSU and others which was true at time however he had not turned the program truly around.

University of San Diego - never won double digit games and did by his 2nd season

Stanford - inherited a 1-11 team and got them to winning record by Year 3 and 12-1 by Year 4.

49ers - prior 49er head coaches were 9-23, 18-37, 18-22.  In his first year he cut Alex Smith's INT rate from 2.9% to 1.1% and topped 60% completion rate for first time in his career and got team to 13-3 in year 1.

At Michigan inherited a 5-7 team and made them into a contending team by year 6 and champions by year 9.

How some folks here berated him is beyond me.