News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- Caitlin Clark offer

Started by Bill Brown, March 27, 2024, 06:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

Quote from: madbadger on March 29, 2024, 11:14:57 AMI don't think women's sports will ever approach the popularity of the men's version of the sport. They're clearly talented but unless you love fundamentals more than pace of play there really is no reason to watch the WNBA over the NBA.

Would you say the same about Women's Football/ Soccer?

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on March 29, 2024, 11:14:57 AMI don't think women's sports will ever approach the popularity of the men's version of the sport. They're clearly talented but unless you love fundamentals more than pace of play there really is no reason to watch the WNBA over the NBA.

It's kind of why watching women's golf is sort of interesting for men as the female pros dont hit nearly as far as the men so hacks like me can watch pro women use clubs I'd use for those distances.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Painter on March 30, 2024, 12:01:24 PMWould you say the same about Women's Football/ Soccer?

Cheers!

Absolutely.  Compared to men's futbol, women's futbol seems like it is in slow motion.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

madbadger

Quote from: Painter on March 30, 2024, 12:01:24 PMWould you say the same about Women's Football/ Soccer?

Cheers!

Absolutely. Why do you think the payout for winning the men's World Cup is four times what it is for the women?

FL GMAN

If I were her I wouldn't do it. I say this as a fan of hers and someone rooting for her to be just as great in the WNBA. The simple fact is that a good H.S. basketball team would beat not only any college team but also any WNBA team. If she got humiliated it would hurt her image and jeapordize future earnings.

madbadger

Quote from: FL GMAN on March 31, 2024, 10:00:22 AMIf I were her I wouldn't do it. I say this as a fan of hers and someone rooting for her to be just as great in the WNBA. The simple fact is that a good H.S. basketball team would beat not only any college team but also any WNBA team. If she got humiliated it would hurt her image and jeapordize future earnings.

I thought he was expanding his league to include all women's teams that would face one another not having a woman playing against men, which IMHO would be foolish.

Jclayton92

I much prefer the WCBB/WNBA to the NBA/MCBB. The technique is off the charts as is the fundamentals and games are usually more exciting.

Painter

Quote from: madbadger on March 30, 2024, 07:57:50 PMAbsolutely. Why do you think the payout for winning the men's World Cup is four times what it is for the women?

Forget payout. There never will be anything remotely comparable between men's and women's pay, and not just because of the absurdity of men' major sports contacts. I was referring to the enormous viewership, eyeballs, and interest that now a accompanies women's football and has certain tennis players and tournaments.

Cheers!

FL GMAN

Then I misunderstood the post, my apologies.

AZGiantFan

QuoteHow much is Caitlin Clark going to make in the WNBA?
Clark, this year's No. 1 draft pick in the WNBA, will have a starting salary of $76,535 and earn roughly $338,000 over the four-year contract she signed with the Fever.

She should have taken Ice Cube's 5 million.  The highest paid WNBA players make about $250,000 per year.  She'll never make up the difference.

Not slowing my roll

Bill Brown

CC will make millions in endorsement deals. Let's not cry too much that the WNBA salary is not massive. If the league starts to make money those salaries will also go up.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Philosophers

How much of the media attention on Clark is because she is white?  Would a black female accomplishing what Clark did be receiving the same attention?  How many of you would even care or be posting about it?

PSUBeirut

Another thing to remember amid all the outrage is a rookie contract is a rookie contract for a reason- she has, as yet, done nothing at the professional level to warrant an outsized contract compared to current vets.  Not saying she won't- just that she hasn't yet.  Like every other rookie contract in any pro sport.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bill Brown on April 18, 2024, 05:50:07 AMCC will make millions in endorsement deals. Let's not cry too much that the WNBA salary is not massive. If the league starts to make money those salaries will also go up.

Bill

But even if she makes it to the top of the WNBA, what's the most she can hope to make, half a million?  Which is twice what the top players make now?

But you're right that nothing changes until (unless) the league starts to make money.  But there is no sign that's going to happen.

Assuming Ice Cube was serious, she had a one time chance to secure her financial future and turned it down.  I hope for her sake she made the the right decision.

Not slowing my roll