News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Drake Maye

Started by Rosehill Jimmy, April 08, 2024, 02:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmo11

I see the same sort of things in Maye.  He's the only one of the top 4 QBs that I would legitimately be bummed about if the Giants took at 6.  I wouldn't advise taking JJ at 6 but if they did I'd be excited to see what he could do.  If they take Maye there wouldn't be any excitement.  Just disappointment.  Perhaps the most disappoint I've had on draft day since... well since they took Daniel Jones.

sooners56

Happy to hear Maye is slipping. Hopefully he slips right on down to the Giants at 6!!!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

londonblue

Given Kurt Warner says he finds it impossible to evaluate how a college QB will transition to the pros I limit myself to red flag stuff on injuries, character etc. with these guys unless they just obviously lack an NFL arm or a functioning brain. Maye has an arm and a brain, but both sometimes misfire. Can that be coached up? If Kurt cannot say I surely can't.

This is what Schoen, Daboll et al get paid to figure out. There are signals that Maye is the guy they and others like and we are one of several teams trying to get to 3 to get him. In 16 days the smoke will disperse and we will know.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

FL GMAN

Lets not forget Merril Hoge was the guy that picked Brian Brohm over Aaron Rodgers.

Ed Vette

Talking' Giants, Bobby Skinner breaks down Drake Maye.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 10, 2024, 10:11:28 PMTalking' Giants, Bobby Skinner breaks down Drake Maye.
If you're sick of all the videos and podcasts, I recommend this one. Nice job Bobby. Fair, objective and astute.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I dont want this guy.  His mechanics break down too easily.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2024, 08:28:23 AMI dont want this guy.  His mechanics break down too easily.
What exactly do you mean by that? Be specific.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Hoge's entire discussion on Maye and other QB prospects is here.  The quotes were a bit out of context compared to his actual discussion

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

The Athletic published an article with quotes from current and former NFL people (GMs to former players/QBs)

Here were their comments on Maye

Current GM: People are going to pick Maye apart. If he ends up being the best of the group, it won't shock me. He is made of the right stuff.

Simms: If you watch 20 throws, you'll see good throws. Then ... the ball is all over the place. The decision-making can be all over the place, and the pocket presence is all over the place, let alone some mechanical flaws in how he throws the football. It (was) confirmed to me in his pro day, (which) was underwhelming. ... He's got all the size. He's pretty athletic when he runs. I always hear (Maye is) like Justin Herbert coming out or Josh Allen, and my brain wants to explode.

Scout 1: Maye reminds me a lot of Herbert.

Assistant coach: Maye is Herbert light. Take everything Herbert does and make it less. They'll be compared (because of the prototype size), but there's no comparison. I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we'll be fired first.

Personnel executive 1: He scares the hell out of me. Longer thrower with a big arm but not quick release. Nothing feels like it happens in rhythm, and accuracy is average. Needs a year on the bench.

Former GM: He has accuracy you can't teach and is only scratching the surface with his upside while he physically matures. Wait for years two and three. If he progresses, he can end up like Troy Aikman.

https://theathletic.com/5375788/2024/04/11/nfl-draft-2024-top-quarterbacks/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

A lot of the discussions on QBs in particular by the media forgets the golden rule of player evaluation (ignoring character side of things) as told to me by NFL employed family member.

Focus mainly on what they do well (physical and mental) that matters in your scheme.

Put what they do badly in perspective. Can you mitigate/improve?

Almost no QB can do everything equally well (not even Mahomes). The job of the coaches is to maximise the good and minimise the bad.

The magnitude of the good matters much more than the magnitude of the bad because you can mitigate many flaws but you cannot magically create strengths.

Maye's strengths are enormous. If they fit a team's scheme, situation (start day 1 vs sit and develop) and HC they will likely have him as QB2. If the strengths are not a good fit then the negatives/risk might have him 4-6. It is isn't that one team is smart/dumb. It is just fit.

In Maye's case he probably needs a team prepared to sit and work with him for a year. Being forced to start early might not be the path to success.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 11, 2024, 11:21:57 AMA lot of the discussions on QBs in particular by the media forgets the golden rule of player evaluation (ignoring character side of things) as told to me by NFL employed family member.

Focus mainly on what they do well (physical and mental) that matters in your scheme.

Put what they do badly in perspective. Can you mitigate/improve?

Almost no QB can do everything equally well (not even Mahomes). The job of the coaches is to maximise the good and minimise the bad.

The magnitude of the good matters much more than the magnitude of the bad because you can mitigate many flaws but you cannot magically create strengths.

Maye's strengths are enormous. If they fit a team's scheme, situation (start day 1 vs sit and develop) and HC they will likely have him as QB2. If the strengths are not a good fit then the negatives/risk might have him 4-6. It is isn't that one team is smart/dumb. It is just fit.

In Maye's case he probably needs a team prepared to sit and work with him for a year. Being forced to start early might not be the path to success.

The NFL has demonstrated a less than 50% success rate in drafting round-one QBs.  My own opinion is that NFL teams need to ask themselves (or screen prospects) the following:

1) Can we envision a scheme that the prospect can thrive in?   Based on the perceived strengths, is there an NFL-caliber scheme that can make the most of the talent

2) Can that scheme also mask the QB's deficiencies?   Can the same scheme that we envision for him also be adjusted to hide the prospect's weakness

3) Is our team prepared to develop a QB?  Does the team have proper coaching, pass protection and receiving weapons to properly develop a drafted QB

4) Does the quarterback have the character, toughness, FB intelligence, and drive to be an NFL quarterback?  Many a QB has flamed out due to lack of effort, annoying teammates, or simply not being able to handle the pressure of being an NFL starting QB
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 11, 2024, 08:37:55 AMWhat exactly do you mean by that? Be specific.

His accuracy plummets when he sets up to throw to one side then has to set up to other side because his initial read was not open. 

He is much better when he throws to his primary first read.

Ed Vette

All of this is most likely mute. Joe Schoen made it abundantly clear that he's not moving up to take a QB and the top four will most likely be gone by the time they pick. They have a lot of needs as he said. I don't need to make a 20-minute podcast to get that point out there.   
~ Coach Tom Coughlin