News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Here's what Giants' fans want - according to The Athletic

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 19, 2024, 10:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Should we hope the GM draft what the Giant fans want? Or draft who he thinks will be best for the team in the future years?

DaveBrown74

I can sort of understand why this poll turned out the way it did.

If the Giants stay at 6, they are basically guaranteed of getting one of the big three receivers, all of whom look like future all pro caliber talents.

For the Giants to take a QB, they'll have to settle for the 4th QB off the board with either the 6th pick or potentially even trade up for the 4th QB off the board. I can understand how that's not palatable to a lot of fans.

What I will say though is that the outcome of this poll should not be confused with a claim that most Giants fans still think Jones is the guy. I don't believe that to be the case at all. Not wanting to reach for the 4th QB in the draft is not the same thing as believing Jones is the long term answer. I don't think many Giants fans think that anymore, and I also don't think the Giants themselves think that anymore. When John Mara publicly says he's supportive of drafting a QB in the first round, that's pretty telling. He has been Jones' biggest advocate in the organization since Gettleman left.

y_so_blu

How exactly was that question presented and who did they poll? I don't know how you watch the same team we did last year and think WR is the most pressing need.

Can Nabers (or Odunze) also throw to himself? Or block for the quarterback before running his route? If so, then hell yeah I want that guy at #6. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Bob In PA

Quote from: zephirus on April 19, 2024, 11:11:19 AMMost Giants fans (and fans in general) have such a fundamental lack of understanding of draft positioning and value I couldn't imagine why we would care what they think. Most fans seem to think the addition of a wide receiver is transformative, and it's typically not. The rest of the fans think Daniel Jones sucks, and he mostly does, but they're in such a rush to get his successor that they're not really concerned with who that is, or what the team might have to sacrifice to get there.  Trade up for JJ McCarthy?  It only takes one team, but I would imagine most draft boards have him nowhere near the top 10 in terms of value.

lee: I couldn't pass up a rare chance to slightly disagree with you. lol

In the case of the Giants, having a WR good enough to force the defense to put two men on him (A J Brown is an example from the recent past) can be transformative, by (1) giving the QB an outside "security blanket" and deep threat; and (2) by making it dangerious for defenses to blitz excessively and spy on running QBs. 

Although I agree adding a WR generally won't change as much as fans might believe, adding a true elite NFL WR seriously boosts an offense's ability to produce points, especially when the chips are down.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: y_so_blu on April 20, 2024, 06:17:28 AMHow exactly was that question presented and who did they poll? I don't know how you watch the same team we did last year and think WR is the most pressing need.

Can Nabers (or Odunze) also throw to himself? Or block for the quarterback before running his route? If so, then hell yeah I want that guy at #6. Otherwise, I'll pass.

I suspect that fans who voted WR were talking into account the Giants' draft position and what would be available.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

brownelvis54

I want the best WR at 6 too. Every round get the BPA, worry about the QB next draft.
The KING is in the building