News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim143

Hidden Figures is good. 

Weeze - it is almost Easter, that means The Ten Commandments.  Short of when I was out of the country, I don't think I missed watching at least a part of it since I was in elementary school. 

Funny thing: Holy Saturday about 4 years or so ago there was a Pet Expo at an insurance company property here in town.  Wife and I were having lunch at one of our favorite restaurants across the street.  After lunch, we wandered around and ended up coming home with a 3 year old German Shepard.  Poor thing didn't have a name and we spend all afternoon trying to figure out a good name for him.  Wasn't until that night - I was watching The Ten Commandments - when my wife said Moses!  The shep looked up and wagged his tail.  From then on, he is Moses.  The first of two pets named after a character in a show we were watching the night we rescued them. . . .
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

jimv

GREAT true story, Jim!

But, remember, before Easter there's Good Friday.  That means "The Passion of the Christ."

jimv

Sorry Ed.  You reported on "Hidden Figures" back in February.  I just had forgotten about it.

Jim143

Thanks for the reminder Jim.  Love Passion.  Might have to find it to watch it after we walk the Stations of the Cross Friday Afternoon.

Havent seen Paul, Apostle of Christ yet, but big fan of Jim Caviezel so I am looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll check out the local theater to see if a) they are showing it and b) can I see it before the Stations.

On a side note but still Good Friday related. . . .when did they start marketing it as "Spring Black Friday"?  I saw a commercial stating that the other night and it didn't sit well with me.
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

jimv

Quote from: Jim143 on March 28, 2018, 06:59:39 AM
Thanks for the reminder Jim.  Love Passion.  Might have to find it to watch it after we walk the Stations of the Cross Friday Afternoon.

Havent seen Paul, Apostle of Christ yet, but big fan of Jim Caviezel so I am looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll check out the local theater to see if a) they are showing it and b) can I see it before the Stations.

On a side note but still Good Friday related. . . .when did they start marketing it as "Spring Black Friday"?  I saw a commercial stating that the other night and it didn't sit well with me.

This is the first I heard about such a thing.  It's probably another anti-Christian thrust by the media.

Ed Vette

Quote from: jimv on March 28, 2018, 09:46:35 AM

This is the first I heard about such a thing.  It's probably another anti-Christian thrust by the media.

Looks like Lowes and Home Depot are the culprits there. 75% of American adults call themselves Christians so apparently it doesn't bother the majority of the masses. The almighty Dollar.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jim143

I think I saw an add for Rooms 2 Go.

But - to get the thread back on track (sorry for derailing it) - I don't watch very many movies, but I did see Megan Leavey.  Really good movie about a "misfit" for lack of a better word who join the Marines and thanks to a punishment, she got involved with the K9 Units. 

The story follows her and her K9 to the sandbox and her struggles afterward.  I was pleasantly surprised I liked the movie.

Another movie I recorded this weekend and need to watch (at least I hope it's the right Movie) is Star Wars - The Force Awakens.  I am not a Star Wars fan, but I recorded this for one reason:  the last seen where the girl finds Luke Skywalker.  I will probably fast forward to that part of the movie.  The only reason I want to see it is because it was filmed in probably the most northern inhabited town in Ireland - Malin Head, County Donegal.  That is the town where my great-grandparents came from when they came to American in 1913.

LennG

Jim

Have seen the movie and yes, you will need to fast forward to about the middle of the movie. Very picturesque and they do spend some quality time there and in surrounding areas (I think they are surrounding).
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

I saw The Last Movie Star with Burt Reynolds.  It was filmed in 2016 when Burt was 80 years old.

It's about a cranky aging movie star who feels sorry for his aging self and lives with regrets.  He accepts an invitation to a Nashville film festival to accept an award but it turns out to be a pathetic festival of less than 100 and in the back of a dive bar.  Burt is aghast when the organizers put him up in an Econolodge.

He becomes sentimental and takes a drive to Knoxville to see the house he grew up in, the college stadium  he played is and visits his ex-wife in a nursing home.

There are a couple of scenes where the old Burt is superimposed into scenes from Smokey and the Bandit and Deliverance where he talks to his younger self.

A sentimental movie for sure.  I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

jimv

I just finished watching "Hudson's Bay."  It's a 1941 movie with Paul Muni, Laird Cregar, John Sutton, Vincent Price & Gene Tierney.  It's a fictionalized story about the founding of the Hudson's Bay Company.,  It's a fun movie to watch & Paul Muni overplays his role as Pierre Radisson.  I ,loved it!  But, of major interest is the fact that the background music through the whole film is "O, Canada!"  which is now the Canadian National Anthem!

jimv

I'm just finished watching "The Commuter."  Typical Liam Niessen thriller.  But, I like them all.  It's a good two hours of enjoyment.

LennG

It has been a while since we watched any sort of 'newer' movies, but that doesn't mean I have stopped watching any movies. I have faithfully watched movie after movie, some seen before, while others are new to me. Some very good, while others, well, let's say they should have thought twice about making them.

One movie I watched the other day, one which I thought I had seen, but on watching, realized I had never seen it and was very surprised about that. It was 'The FBI Story' with Jimmy Stewart. It wasn't Mr. Stewarts finest work, but he is so good at what he does, it just makes watching that much more enjoyable.
The story, I found very ironic, with todays climate of suspicion of the FBI, here it told the story of it's onset and how it progressed over the year s to become America's finest law enforcement bureau. Just a very enjoyable watch, and I couldn't help feeling the old J. Edgar must be rolling over in his grave listening to how our political leaders make the FBI like a low cost spy bureau. We really have lost something over the last few years.

The next thing I watched was 'Streets of Laredo' with James Garner. This is the next chapter of the people from the famous Lonesome Dove mini series. With Garner playing an older Woodrow Call and other supporting characters, many from the original Lonesome Dove. It was a 3 part series and I enjoyed it very much. So much so, that I wanted more, so I then watched the sort of prequel to Lonesome Dove, 'Comanche Moon' which tells us of a young Woodrow Call. Another 3 parter and again, I enjoyed this very much. So, what was I left with, I had to go back and watch the original Lonesome Dove, which I just finished. All in all, just a tremendous watch and feel for the 'old west'. All the stories were adaptions from Larry McMurtry's great novels.
Many hours but a most enjoyable time watching these great mini series.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I just finished watching "The 17:15 to Paris."  Except for the few minutes about the suppression of the attack on the train, it was just plain BLAH  The background story leading up it had nothing to hold my interest,  It would being that these three guys just happened to be there when the attack happened.  Not at all up to Eastwood's standards.

jimv

A few days ago, I got the Blu-ray version of "A Quiet Place."  If you like scary movies, this is for you!!!!  WOW!!  It starts right at the beginning & lasts until the end (I think).  I recommend it highly. :ok:

Ed Vette

Won't you be my neighbor. Highly recommend!

Jurassic World. Good in 3D.

Oceans 8. It was just ok. I was waiting for it to end.

Hereditary. STAY AWAY from this POS.

Adrift. Good movie

Quiet Place. Just Ok but it will get your heart jumping.

I want to see Three Identical Strangers. Did anyone see it yet?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin