News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Lou

I only wish I knew how to post some of the videos that I took of the one sunset on our ship. Can you just imagine the entire sky off to one side of the ship ablaze in these colors. A near pix doesn't come close to capturing what the eye is looking at.

If someone can tell me how to post a very short video that I have on my computer, I'll do it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

On going thru the daily stuff on my computer, I came across this article about Monument Valley and its role in film.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/monument-valley-film-s-most-famous-backdrop/ar-BB1dk7JX?li=BBnb4R5&ocid=mailsignout

I have had the great fortune to visit Monument valley 3 times and to me, it is maybe the most spectacular place to visit in the entire USA. Yes, most people go to the Grand Canyon and that is also spectacular, but, for me, especially a movie buff, this place is like heaven. It is so out of the way and there are very few places to stay around there, make it a destination that you really have to plan on, to visit. On our last visit, maybe 3 years ago, we booked a room right in the Valley. We were on a 3-week vacation and this was our one night and day here. As the Gods would have it, in the 3 weeks it didn't rain but one day, and, of course, it was the day and night we were in Monument Valley. But the Gods did shine on us a bit as towards the end of our trip thru the Valley, the sun did come out and enabled me to get some fantastic pix.
Monument valley is an Indian reservation. To enter, you pay a fee to the Indians. To travel thru, it is a dirt road that wanders all thru out the Valley, where you can stop basically anywhere and hang out, sit and take in where you are, or just sit in your car and drive.
On our second trip there, we had our kids. There was an Indian with a horse and I wanted to take a pix just of the horse, with the monuments as a backdrop. You are supposed to ask permission to take a pix of any Indian or whatever he has, and when I did he wanted a fee just to take a pix of his horse. I really didn't want to pay just to take a pix of the horse, so we took some other pix and then he walked away to use the facilities. I jumped at this chance and took one pix of the horse and the monuments (didn't come out that good anyway). I did leave a dollar in his tin can.

Anyway, I wanted to post some of my pix of this utterly magnificent place. If you ever have the chance to go here, run, do not walk. If you enjoy these types of places, you will be absolutely stunned at their raw beauty and just the majesty of this place. If you look at the pix closely, you can see the road, and how small the cars look as these monoliths are huge.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Moose135

Beautiful images, Lenn! I visited Monument Valley about five years ago, and it really is a beautiful place!

For a price (I don't know how much, I didn't ask) he would let you sit on the horse and take your photo. When there weren't any takers, he would take the horse for a short ride.

The Forrest Gump road.

The Moose is Loose!

Moose135

And here are some of that big hole in the ground in Arizona...

The Moose is Loose!

Moose135

Lenn, when you were out that way, did you get to Horseshoe Bend? For those not familiar, it is in Page, Arizona, north of the Grand Canyon, near the Utah border. It is about 1,000 feet down, with no railings or fencing at the edge.

This guy had the right idea!

I handed my camera to someone to get this one. Yes, I was close to the edge. Yes, I sat down and inched over to it.

The Moose is Loose!

LennG

I did Moose. We got there right before sunset, but I am still afraid of standing too close to the edge of anything without something to hold on to, so I was not able to get a full pix of the "horseshoe" as you so magnificently did. Just NO WAY I lean over, and I usually would do crazy things for a good pix.  =)) =)) =))

We LOVED Page. We were there many years ago with my kids and we did the boat ride thru the canyon with all the 'peaks' shooting up from the lake. When we were there last, about 3-4 years ago, we were so looking to do that same boat ride, but there was hardly any water in the lake. It was down something like 90 FEET, so the boat ride was out. We ended up doing Antelope Canyon instead and we are so glad we did. I have posted some of the pixs from Antelope Canyon somewhere earlier in this thread. Did you get to see this? If not, for a photographer like yourself, it is truly like you are in another world. I must have taken well over 300 hundred pix in Antelope, as every turn is another amazing view. After a while, it all starts looking the same, but when the sun is right, and you get that 'glow' down in the canyon, it is truly mystical.
Did you get to Sedona? Another truly magical place for a photographer.

Page Arizona, with a severe drought

My pix of Horseshoe Canyon  ( the Scary Cat version)

And Antelope Canyon

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Lenn & Moose, I can't tell you how great all of those pix are! Lenn, your description is right on..."Raw beauty and majesty"!
I hadn't heard of Horseshoe Bend, but now that's on my "Bucket list" too!  :yes:
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on February 05, 2021, 08:58:21 AM
Lenn & Moose, I can't tell you how great all of those pix are! Lenn, your description is right on..."Raw beauty and majesty"!
I hadn't heard of Horseshoe Bend, but now that's on my "Bucket list" too!  :yes:

Lou

I had to laugh when I read your last post. Not at what you said, but of the thought that you are a lot braver than I am and will not be afraid to sort of 'lean over' the edge to get that pix.

Not to toot anyone's horn, but for a photographer, being in some of these places is like you died and went to heaven. Myself, I LOVE the mountains, but these areas in what we call 'the West' are just so magnificent, it is really hard not to take great pixs. Some places you know about and others you sort of stumble upon. That is how we found this Horseshoe Canyon. We were not headed there, but on our back from where ever we were, saw a sign about it, so we said let's check it out. To be honest, we have been out in this area maybe 4-5 times and I never heard of it myself, but it is truly spectacular.
Our goal is to get to Yosemite NP. maybe the one major park we have never been to. We really haven't spent much time in California except for a day trip to Death Valley, so we would love to ride the Pacific Coast Hwy, do Yosemite, Redwood NP, and whatever else that area might hold for us. I ain't getting any younger and this virus is killing so many of our plans, but we can hope.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on January 31, 2021, 06:50:14 PM
Lou

I only wish I knew how to post some of the videos that I took of the one sunset on our ship. Can you just imagine the entire sky off to one side of the ship ablaze in these colors. A near pix doesn't come close to capturing what the eye is looking at.

If someone can tell me how to post a very short video that I have on my computer, I'll do it.
Upload them to YouTube and then post the links. It's pretty straight-forward.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Quote from: T200 on February 05, 2021, 06:49:56 PM
Upload them to YouTube and then post the links. It's pretty straight-forward.

How do I get them on tube?

Charlie Weiss

T200

Call me this evening after 6 and I'll walk you through it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Quote from: T200 on February 06, 2021, 01:31:27 PM
Call me this evening after 6 and I'll walk you through it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I was taking my mid afternoon/early evening nap at that time.  =)) =)) =)) =))

I appreciate the offer to help. Let's drop it for now.

PM me your number so we can discuss 'other' things.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Recoving from the covid vaccine, but I wanted to put up a few pix, as I try and do every week.

So, today, let's try a few 'artsy' shots, whatever that means

Walking in the woods, we saw this amazing tree with roots all over the place

I've done a few of these already. Here are a couple of different pix, looking thru a covered bridge, out towards a colorful landscape

Another sunset pix, but looking thru one of the ships cutouts

Another jigsaw puzzle

Riding thru Virginia, we came to this route sign right in front of a huge cornfield. I thought it different anyway

Charlie Weiss

TEM

TEM

Can you pick out the Cardinal on her nest?