News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Wow! What a diverse landscape. From lush green fields to the angry red planet to beautiful waterfalls.
Spectacular!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on January 04, 2024, 08:38:46 PMWow! What a diverse landscape. From lush green fields to the angry red planet to beautiful waterfalls.
Spectacular!

Yes, Iceland does have quite a large diverse landscape. Even more, now that that volcano erupted several months ago.

I'll post more pix tomorrow.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

In and around Iceland

Because of all the volcanic activity, there were a lot of earthquakes that opened up huge fissures all over the Country. Many are walkable thru parts of them.

As in the other post, there are areas with many geysers, similar to Yellowstone. People gather around waiting for the eruption, which happens about every 10 minutes or so.
Too bad it rained thru most of our 2 days in  Reykjavík but it is a once-in-a-lifetime visit, so we made the best of it.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

From Iceland, we cruised to Greenland but unfortunately, the main port of Nuuk was canceled due to high seas. We did dock at another city (well, I would hardly call it a city) and personally, I don't see why we did. A very uninspired place with little to do other than roam around a sort of village. The next day we did get to cruise into a magnificent Fiord of Greenland and we had spectacular weather for this. Yes a bit chilly, but blue sky and extraordinary scenery.

This is the village we cruised into-- 

Our start into the Fiord

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Spectacular, Lenn!!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

LennG

Thanks, Lou.

I know you cruise and if you ever were thinking of doing something with just magnificent scenery, do a Norway Fiords cruise or an Artic cruise.
We have done Alaska 3 times and that is also wonderful. but it doesn't get into mountains and Fiords as something like this.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Yes, a cruise thru Norway and the surrounding areas is definitely on my radar now.

John Mara

LennG

Let me continue a bit on this voyage. As part of this adventure we were able to overnight in Oslo Norway. We ahve ben to all the other Baltic capitals so we were extremely looking forward to Oslo. We  didn't book any excusrsions for day one, just did what is known as a Hop On Hop Off bus which takes you all over the city and you get on and off at your leisure.

One place that was highly recommended was a place called Vigeland Park
https://vigeland.museum.no/en/vigelandpark

It is so hard to describe this place so if you look at the link you will get a better idea of the enormity of this place.

It is comprised of statues, all in granite, all nudes, most life-size, and one monolith with the same nudes all over it. To try and explain this place is so hard, you really have to see it to believe it.

Just to many shots to post.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I was away last week and met up with Frank (ShoelessJoe) who is an avid student of photography. We got to talking shop which made me realize I haven't really posted on this thread regularly in a while. So just going back over some of my 'older' pictures, I wanted to post a few of my pics of the lighthouses of Maine. I used to go up to Maine regularly to see our good friend JimV (may he RIP) and always made it a point to visit some of the remarkable lighthouses that dot the coast of Maine.

I always tried to get more than just a pix of a lighthouse as some I wanted in good weather, bad weather, night and day. So here is a collection of my lighthouses of Maine,

Probably the most famous is the Portland Head Light, right in Portland. I didn't do my homework if this is the oldest working lighthouse in the country but I know it was commissioned by George Washington.

The Nubble Light, also in south easter Maine. They do a lighting at night sometime before Christmas and make a whole production out of it.

It was a dark and stormy day so we decided to try the Nubble Light again for some dramatic effects

WE always try to venture up the coast a bit to the Marshall Point Light. You may not recognize the name but it is the lighthouse used in Forrest Gump, when he was running across the country, he ran to this lighthouse and immediately turned around and started running back.

And we liked it so much we stayed here to watch the sunset

Further up the coast, the West Quoddy Light

Some others are the Owl's Head Light

And finally Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

There are many others that we have visited over the years. Maybe in the enxt listing.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Love the winter shot of Nubble.

John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on March 05, 2024, 07:21:32 PMLove the winter shot of Nubble.

Funny but I do also. In fact, I'm using that shot as my screen saver at this time of year.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Of all the dive sites I've been to on the Maine coast, Nubble light was my favorite.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 06, 2024, 06:11:39 AMOf all the dive sites I've been to on the Maine coast, Nubble light was my favorite.

Bill

Bill

I also should have mentioned you in the 'when we go up to Maine to visit'.  Great times visiting with you and Jim.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Since I was on lighthouses, let me throw a few of the amazing lighthouses of North Carolina's Outer Banks (OBX)

Currituck Beach Light

Ocracoke Lighthouse

Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (One of the most photographed in the entire country)

And my personal favorite, Bodie Island Lighthouse
By Day

And at Sunset

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

So with the hoopla about the solar eclipse approaching let me ask....do any of you have plans to try and take any photos of it?
I'd be interested to hear any tips you might have and od course to see any shots you get of it.

John Mara