News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

We finally got around to watching "CODA" the other day.

I would give it a B+, and my wife agrees. Very solid, plenty of good acting, and engaging throughout. In my personal opinion, for it to have won Best Picture at the Oscars feels like a bit of a reach to me, but maybe it was a weak year for movies. I thought it was definitely very good but not some all time cinematic achievement.

Jolly Blue Giant

I replied earlier that I was watching Yellowstone. Started out okay, but man it picks up to a crescendo like situations in Ozark. An awful lot of killing - maybe more than Ozark

Regardless, I really like the show and it has grown on me. I'm deep into the 4th season and will be disappointed (much like Ozark) in that it is not yet known when season 5 will be released...and I really hope they drop the entire season so I don't have to wait each week for the next episode  :(

Interestingly, I decided to sign up for Peacock for 4.99 a month. Has a lot of good movies and you can get all the past episodes of Two and a Half Men, etc. After a week or so watching Yellowstone and suffering through 3 commercials every 8 minutes or so, I got an e-mail that asked me if I wanted to upgrade to "commercial free", so I checked it out and the cost is 5.00. One freakin penny a month to not have to suffer through commercials that repeat themselves over and over on a loop. Worth the extra cent and yeah, I ponied up and went commercial free...LOL

One Scene (and this didn't make the "Top 10 Yellowstone Scenes That Went Too Far" which is on YouTube which you shouldn't watch if you are thinking of checking out Yellowstone because it spoils way too much) but can give you the flavor from one of the gentler scenes  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe05EYFlMLk&list=RDCMUCoBSi6AOGXWb_NBIGNHP9Qw&index=2

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I need to confess, a friend told me about this series on Hulu, 'Pam and Tommy', the story of the relationship and marriage of Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee. Throw in the entire story of the sex tape and it does make for some interesting viewing. Definitely not for everyone as in Episode 2, I believe, Tommy spends several minutes talking to his Penis, and you know what, it talks back to him. (He is known for, let's say, a better than average manhood), as was seen on that tape if you ever saw it.

I am known far and wide as a dirty old man, now I've seen the story of Playboy and now Pam and Tommy. What can I say, I enjoy this 'stuff'.

Anyway, overall, it isn't that bad a show with several pretty funny segments thrown in..

Again, not for everyone, definitely a hard R rating.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I've watched two pretty good movies in the past few days worth sharing

Last night I watched The Lost City with Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt, etc.
Had a "Romancing the Stone" feel to it coupled with a touch of "The Proposal"
Found it on Prime, but you have to sign up for Epix which is .99 a month for six months then you can opt out. Or you can simply rent it on Prime for 5.99.I took the Epix route and will exhaust their movies in about a month and then cancel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohAPIRNzuo

The other night I rented Uncharted from Redbox as they give me a free movie every now and then. It can be rented off Prime of course, but it will cost five bucks or so since it's new. It's a treasure hunting adventure with a feel of "Pirates of the Carribean", "Indiana Jones", and "Goonies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHp3MbsCbMg

ozzie

Saw The Lost City a few weeks ago and I agree, it was a fun movie.
Uncharted looks like another fun one, but I haven't seen it yet.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on May 16, 2022, 01:23:21 PM
Saw The Lost City a few weeks ago and I agree, it was a fun movie.
Uncharted looks like another fun one, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm a sucker for treasure hunting thrillers and also time travel movies. I still think Romancing the Stone was a great movie and started the trend like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the dozens of other treasure seeking movies

Jolly Blue Giant

I started watching "Lincoln Lawyer" (the new Netflix series, not the moviewith Matthew McConaughey and Marisa Tomei....although any movie with Tomei is worth it...LOL) because I like legal thrillers. It's a Netflix produced series that just premiered a couple of days ago. I've watched 4 episodes so far and I like it. If you liked HBO's remake of Perry Mason, you might like this although set in today's time era unlike that Mason series

I've read all of Michael Connelly's books so I'm quite familiar with the character (plays Mickey Haller) and the type of dramas he gets into. So far, pretty accurate to the book's characterization of Haller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au06yHMuMGc

Bill Brown

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 19, 2022, 01:05:24 PM
I started watching "Lincoln Lawyer" (the new Netflix series, not the moviewith Matthew McConaughey and Marisa Tomei....although any movie with Tomei is worth it...LOL) because I like legal thrillers. It's a Netflix produced series that just premiered a couple of days ago. I've watched 4 episodes so far and I like it. If you liked HBO's remake of Perry Mason, you might like this although set in today's time era unlike that Mason series

I've read all of Michael Connelly's books so I'm quite familiar with the character (plays Mickey Haller) and the type of dramas he gets into. So far, pretty accurate to the book's characterization of Haller

My wife and I noticed this the other day and said we should give it a try. Thanks for the review.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

EDjohnst1981

Jolly Blue Giant

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 19, 2022, 05:28:11 PM
No kidding...I did not know we had an author on this site. I've been trying to write a book, but struggle with many things...mostly a young girlfriend that gives me no peace and quiet so I can work, but I digress. What is your genre and have I read anything you've published?
My stuff is academic rather than anything else, all about criminal law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on May 19, 2022, 08:32:59 PM
My stuff is academic rather than anything else, all about criminal law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...isn't that how John Grisham started? He made out pretty good by deciding to write novels that was in his wheelhouse, being a criminal lawyer and all. Anyway, I understand. I submitted a few White Papers that got published, but it was centered around such interesting  /sarcasm/  subjects as, "Combining GD&T with Statistical Process Control using least squares regression analysis to minimize the sum of the residuals of points from a plotted curve" and "mathematizing GD&T for CMM measuring machines", etc. Really boring stuff to anyone who doesn't have to work in engineering...and even boring to engineers, but they need to know this stuff

DaveBrown74

We started "Shining Girls" (Apple TV) recently. Dark, frequently suspenseful thriller about a serial killer who targets young women, but it has a real twist to it that you are aware of but don't fully understand through at least the first few episodes (we have watched three). Intriguing so far for sure. Has kind of a David Fincher feel to it. Here is the trailer. I think it's worth checking out if you like this sort of genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNCIA4kszw

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 19, 2022, 01:05:24 PM

On YOUR recommendation, (and a lot of advertising on Netflix) we started watching this series. I am also a sucker for lawyer-based shows though I still never liked Perry Mason (perhaps the fact that he never could lose enters into that).

Anyway, after one episode, it looks promising BUT there are several things that sort of rub me the wrong way. Why the Black girl's case was completely dismissed. She DID steal the necklace even if it weren't as valuable as they thought. How can they just dismiss it?
And this high-profile case will probably be the heart of the entire series. This dude will be on trial for his life and all of a sudden his hand-picked lawyer is dead and this new guy has it. AND he tells him that come hell or high water he wants to go to trial in a week. REALLY. Who in their right mind would even want to do that. I understand his reasoning for wanting it over but come on, you will be on trial for murder and you want your NEW lawyer to be ready to go in a week. Just preposterous.
We will stay with it as the main character is likable enough.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on May 21, 2022, 07:14:38 PM
On YOUR recommendation, (and a lot of advertising on Netflix) we started watching this series. I am also a sucker for lawyer-based shows though I still never liked Perry Mason (perhaps the fact that he never could lose enters into that).

Anyway, after one episode, it looks promising BUT there are several things that sort of rub me the wrong way. Why the Black girl's case was completely dismissed. She DID steal the necklace even if it weren't as valuable as they thought. How can they just dismiss it?

If you read Michael Connelly books you would know that Haller uses his lawyer expertise to help the underclass. The only reason he takes the rich guy's case is because it was dropped in his lap. Regardless, the whole "neckless stealing" thing was about the already rich wanting to use the fake valuable neckless as either an insurance scam or wanting to get it back and not let the world know that the presumed wealthy victims were actually wearing cheap "paste" instead of the real deal. The second Haller brought up that he had an expert to take the stand and evaluate the worth of the neckless, the "victims" immediately freaked and dropped all charges before it was discovered publicly that it was basically worthless. But it also ties in with the personality of Haller who thrives getting the underclass off charges so they can clean up their lives and possibly succeed in life

QuoteAnd this high-profile case will probably be the heart of the entire series. This dude will be on trial for his life and all of a sudden his hand-picked lawyer is dead and this new guy has it. AND he tells him that come hell or high water he wants to go to trial in a week. REALLY. Who in their right mind would even want to do that. I understand his reasoning for wanting it over but come on, you will be on trial for murder and you want your NEW lawyer to be ready to go in a week. Just preposterous.
We will stay with it as the main character is likable enough.

Without giving it all away, there are a whole lot of factors that will come to light as to why the new guy wants the trial over ASAP even though Haller has repeatedly told him to get a continuance...which, as you point out, is the ONLY thing that would make sense in that situation. However, as you will find in the coming episodes, murder, bribery, and a whole lot of things start to come to light that make sense as to why the trial needs to be done as quick as possible