News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGekko80

Finished watching the Mandalorian Season 2. Didn't see that ending coming..

Am also watching Peaky Blinders now - midway through season 1 now. Worth watching.

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on December 21, 2020, 02:54:50 AM
Finished watching the Mandalorian Season 2. Didn't see that ending coming..

Am also watching Peaky Blinders now - midway through season 1 now. Worth watching.

I tried that but the accents for me is so hard to understand. I usually watch with the captions on, but use them to pick up some of the words I miss. On this series which several people have recommended, I just really had a hard time following along and was missing the context of the show trying to do that.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on December 21, 2020, 01:10:13 PM
I tried that but the accents for me is so hard to understand. I usually watch with the captions on, but use them to pick up some of the words I miss. On this series which several people have recommended, I just really had a hard time following along and was missing the context of the show trying to do that.

Understand your point. I resolved the matter by changing the language to Italian (my native language).  ;)

LennG

WE just finished watching 'The Crown' and I would highly recommend it to one and all. There is no action, no sex (at least not shown on screen), and no cursing so if that is what you need for shows, then skip this. But for entertainment and if you are old enough to remember Princess Diana et al, you will highly enjoy this series.
It is 4 seasons, the first season early 1950's when Elizabeth becomes Queen. Second Season she is still a fairly young Queen and deals a lot with her marriage to Phillip and learning her duties. along with how the so-called Royal Family deals with the world. Season 3 jumps to a later time frame with different actors playing each role and really starts to show how Royals feel about the world and their privilege in it. Season 4 deals mostly with Diana and Charles's marriage and relationship and to put it bluntly, it is NOT kind to Charles and to the rest of that Royal family. Here I remember most of what happened, but it does portray the Royal family as a bunch of people who are seriously out of touch with what is considered normal. They even tried to get this last season taken off the air as it doesn't paint any of them in a good light (except Diana)Plus Season 4 has Gillian Anderson (Scully from the X Files) playing Margaret Thatcher and she is just wonderful. I never would recognize her in a million years. I knew that was her in advance, but again, just a wonderful role for her.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/entertainment/the-crown-season-4-review/index.html
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Gillian Anderson!?!?
Ahhhh....Agent Dana Scully. She was my 90's crush - Big Time!!
I may just have to check that out! HAHA
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Sem

I've been on a Pluto TV kick lately - Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, The Carol Burnett Show, The Rifleman, Mork and Mindy, Mission Impossible, Family Ties, My Favorite Martian, The Real McCoys, Three's Company, MST3K, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Love Boat, The Addams Family, and many more.....all for free.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on January 01, 2021, 11:03:22 AM
I've been on a Pluto TV kick lately - Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, The Carol Burnett Show, The Rifleman, Mork and Mindy, Mission Impossible, Family Ties, My Favorite Martian, The Real McCoys, Three's Company, MST3K, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Love Boat, The Addams Family, and many more.....all for free.

You know Steve, as much as I enjoyed most of those shows, I rewatch a few episodes and feel how dated they are and kind of lose interest. There are 'older' shows that I really do enjoy rewatching no matter how many times. We have spent the good part of last night and this day watching the Odd Couple Marathon on a local channel. To me, it is truly one of the laugh out loud shows ever on TV. Felix, Oscar, Murray, Merna just an absolutely wonderful cast all perfect in their roles. As soon as I get off of this, back to watching.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

Sem

I love the Odd Couple Len, one of my favorite shows of all time. Agree, perfectly cast.

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on January 01, 2021, 10:13:19 AM
Gillian Anderson!?!?
Ahhhh....Agent Dana Scully. She was my 90's crush - Big Time!!
I may just have to check that out! HAHA

Lou

Ms.Anderson is basically unrecognizable playing Ms.Thatcher but she does it so magnificently, IMVHO she steals every scene she is in.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Has anyone seen 'The Expanse' on Prime?

It is a Sci-Fi series that was on some cable channel, which dropped it as it was too expensive to keep going with it. It was picked up on Prime and it is entering its 5th season, I believe.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

I started binge-watching it last year and found it superior to most Sci-Fi shows and series that have been on in recent years. The new season just started and they are dropping episodes one a week like the 'old days'.

really, this is a terrific watch, not in the mold of Star Wars or things like that. It is big on Special Effects, storylines, and enough action to hold your interest. I have just started watching the new season and it has started out great, just as the last few seasons have been.

I highly recommend it, if you are into Sci-Fi stuff.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

If you enjoy reality shows(I know, most are fake) and you like shark tank, you might like the new series Undercover Billionaire on the Discovery Channel. A billionaire is challenged to anonymously go to a new city with only $100 and they have 90 days to build it into a million dollar business. Eight episodes are filmed for each billionaire so you see the daily hustling, hardships, set backs, deals, etc..

LennG

We LOVE Shark Tank, so this could be something we would like? How far in has season 1 gone?

I mentioned this before, but my darling wife got me into this reality series, Married at First Sight, where couples are paired to marry but they know nothing about their future mates until they see them at the altar. It has been on for about 11 seasons (the 12th just started on Lifetime) and I really love it. Again, it is reality and may not be for everyone, but we love it, we discuss so many things as these couples get married (legit), go on a honeymoon and set up house for 2 months. Then they have to decide if they want to stay married or get a divorce. Again, we find it very cute to see how strangers adjust to a new spouse and adjust to being married to a perfect stranger. (They do try and pair the couples up as to likes dislikes and many other factors, so they should get along) Not always the case though.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Finished watching Star Trek Discovery Season 3 today.

The last couple of Episodes are really good.

squibber

Lenn, the second billionaire will premiere soon. I think there will be two more after that. I saw all eight episodes of the first billionaire.

The first billionaire ended up starting Underdog Barbecue in Erie, Pa. and it is still thriving. One thing that helped the billionaire is he was able to get several Erie residents to help him get the place going without pay but with the promise they will share in the success of the restaurant. You have to wonder how much the tv cameras motivated people to help him. Still, the way the billionaire dealt with personnel issues, setbacks, etc. was interesting.

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 08, 2021, 08:14:22 AM
Finished watching Star Trek Discovery Season 3 today.

The last couple of episodes are really good.

I have just started watching this and I am about 3/4 of the way thru season 1. As of now, I like it very much.

I am NOT a huge Trekkie and really only watched the original Star Trek and then about half of Star Trek  The Next Generation. After that, except for the movies, I have not followed all the future series that came out.
I attend (now with Zoom) a group from a library that we discuss things we are watching on TV and try to find a show that we all might like, watch and discuss (like a book discussion group). So Discovery was mentioned as several have also followed along and just finished season 3. Most of us are still in its infancy but since I do like it, I'll continue with it.

Charlie Weiss