News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Last night I watched "5-25-77" by Patrick Read Johnson. The movie's title is a reference to the release date of "Star Wars." PRJ is said to be Fan #1, as he was the 1st and (I think) only non-industry person to preview it prior to its release. The movie is an autobiographical coming-of-age story written and directed by Patrick Read Johnson based on his dream of becoming a film-maker after watching "2001 A Space Odyssey" as a youth. Lots of great 70's music in the movie, as it was scored by Alan Parsons. I smiled all the way through, a real good, low budget, independent film.

*Sidenote - today is Parsons 75th birthday and my wife and I will be attending his birthday celebration in Santa Barbara. Patrick Read Johnson will be there, as well as musical guests including Al Stewart (Year of the Cat), Michael McDonald (Doobies, Steely Dan), David Pack (Ambrosia), Joe Bonamassa, Terry Sylvester (The Hollies), and possibly other surprise guests. Should be a blast.

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Sem

LennG

We've been away but while I was away I did get a chance to watch Lawman Bass Reeves. As most know and I have said it countless times, give me a good Western and I am in 7th heaven. Bass didn't disappoint. It was good enough to recommend and I will. It was more realistic than several other Westerns I have seen but overall, not as spellbinding as 1883 and 1923. There were several dark patches that I think went on a bit too long trying to overmake some points, but there was enough action to suit anyone. If there is to be a second season and I don't see why not as this was acclaimed, I will watch in a heartbeat.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2023, 09:53:03 PMWe've been away but while I was away I did get a chance to watch Lawman Bass Reeves. As most know and I have said it countless times, give me a good Western and I am in 7th heaven. Bass didn't disappoint. It was good enough to recommend and I will. It was more realistic than several other Westerns I have seen but overall, not as spellbinding as 1883 and 1923. There were several dark patches that I think went on a bit too long trying to overmake some points, but there was enough action to suit anyone. If there is to be a second season and I don't see why not as this was acclaimed, I will watch in a heartbeat.

I'll agree Lenn. I enjoyed it as well. I recommend watching Reacher. Awesome series. Half way through season 2 and believe it to be better than season 1 which was great! 

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2023, 09:53:03 PMWe've been away but while I was away I did get a chance to watch Lawman Bass Reeves. As most know and I have said it countless times, give me a good Western and I am in 7th heaven. Bass didn't disappoint. It was good enough to recommend and I will. It was more realistic than several other Westerns I have seen but overall, not as spellbinding as 1883 and 1923. There were several dark patches that I think went on a bit too long trying to overmake some points, but there was enough action to suit anyone. If there is to be a second season and I don't see why not as this was acclaimed, I will watch in a heartbeat.

I concur on this show and have highlighted it here. Very solid for anyone who enjoys this genre.

Taylor Sheridan can seemingly do almost no wrong.

squibber

I saw a surprisingly good low budget movie on Tubi.  It's called "Know Your Enemy".

A woman cuts off a middle eastern man twice in traffic.  He follows her home and forces his way inside with a gun. He terrorizes the woman and her boyfriend about what she did.

Strangely, he asks the couple a lot of questions about their personal life and relationship. He end goal is a mystery.  A good tense drama. Here is the trailer.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=know+your+enemy+movie+trailer&mid=188ED94C05AD8FF60CCC188ED94C05AD8FF60CCC&FORM=VIRE

Jclayton92

Lawman Bass Reeves was good, but I was slightly let down from Sheridan as the plot kind of skipped around and I felt like I was missing gaps or at least the show was skipping stuff a lot.

Reacher season 2 is excellent

Watched Silent Night the new John Woo movie and it was a solid movie in the John Wick revenge style.

I also watched Rebel Moon, Zac Snyders version of star wars that just came out and was really disappointed.

Lastly I watched the Iron Claw about the Von Erichs wrestling family and it was amazing. A24 as a production company rarely miss.

LennG

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 24, 2023, 01:00:30 PMLawman Bass Reeves was good, but I was slightly let down from Sheridan as the plot kind of skipped around and I felt like I was missing gaps or at least the show was skipping stuff a lot.

Reacher season 2 is excellent

Watched Silent Night the new John Woo movie and it was a solid movie in the John Wick revenge style.

I also watched Rebel Moon, Zac Snyders version of star wars that just came out and was really disappointed.

Lastly I watched the Iron Claw about the Von Erichs wrestling family and it was amazing. A24 as a production company rarely miss.

Would love to see Iron Claw. I am still a huge wrestling fan, more the soap opera doings rather than the wrestling.

where is it on?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jclayton92

Quote from: LennG on December 24, 2023, 07:37:41 PMWould love to see Iron Claw. I am still a huge wrestling fan, more the soap opera doings rather than the wrestling.

where is it on?
It's in theaters currently but yeah it is phenomenal and really tragic.

DaveBrown74

We watched "Saltburn" the other night.

We liked it, although I will say right up front this movie is not for everyone. I have a feeling many who frequent this thread might not like it. It is a British black comedy/satire about an underprivileged kid at Oxford University who makes friends with a rich, very popular student who takes a liking to him and invites him to stay at his house, which is some massive castle with servants and butlers, etc. The rich kid's family is highly eccentric and dysfunctional, and it is all about the kid who is the guest navigating the situation and getting involved with the gamesmanship that is going on. My wife and I both liked it, although some scenes are a little hard to watch, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. If you like very dark, satirical type movies and don't mind them having a salacious angle to them then I recommend this. Otherwise, proceed at your own risk.

Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lALMdJf6UUE

LennG

The other day I started watching 'Lioness' on Paramount+. I heard it was very good but never watched the trailer so I really didn't know that much about it. I am 1/2 way thru and I like it a lot, but something completely different than what I thought it was.
Saturday is usually my day to watch on my own. so hopefully, I can finish it off tomorrow.

I really think it is time to start Fargo. I have 7 episodes on the DVR and I assume it is 8 episodes arc. I have had mucho trouble ignoring this show for this long as it is truly one of my favorite watches. It's time to start, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Has anyone watched the new season of Justified? When the 'old' show was on, I was a huge fan and when this new arc came on, like Fargo and others, I wanted to wait until the entire season unfolded. I sort of forgot about it and after Fargo, look forward to enjoying this great series once again.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

The last couple nights I've been watching Columbo episodes on Tubi. So tonight I decided to watch season 1, episode 1. A bit of trivia from that episode, or at least it was information that I was previously unaware of. The episode was written by Steven Bochco (Hill Street Blues, LA Law, NYPD Blue), and was directed by a then 24 year old Steven Spielberg.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on December 29, 2023, 01:56:31 PMThe other day I started watching 'Lioness' on Paramount+. I heard it was very good but never watched the trailer so I really didn't know that much about it. I am 1/2 way thru and I like it a lot, but something completely different than what I thought it was.
Saturday is usually my day to watch on my own. so hopefully, I can finish it off tomorrow.

I really think it is time to start Fargo. I have 7 episodes on the DVR and I assume it is 8 episodes arc. I have had mucho trouble ignoring this show for this long as it is truly one of my favorite watches. It's time to start, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Has anyone watched the new season of Justified? When the 'old' show was on, I was a huge fan and when this new arc came on, like Fargo and others, I wanted to wait until the entire season unfolded. I sort of forgot about it and after Fargo, look forward to enjoying this great series once again.

Lenn,

As I mentioned in a past post, I loved Lioness and so did my wife. While some suspension of disbelief is probably needed, that doesn't bother me that much for shows like this, and I just found it incredibly entertaining. I am glad you're enjoying it and certainly suggest continuing through the end.

I also want to start Fargo, and I have never watched Reacher, so that is also on my list (both seasons).

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on December 29, 2023, 01:56:31 PMHas anyone watched the new season of Justified? When the 'old' show was on, I was a huge fan and when this new arc came on, like Fargo and others, I wanted to wait until the entire season unfolded. I sort of forgot about it and after Fargo, look forward to enjoying this great series once again.
I never saw Justified when it was in its original run, but I have friends who raved about it. So, when Justifed Primeval came on, I made sure to check it out. I enjoyed it, but at the same time thought to myself that some of it just didn't make much sense (as far as decisions being made my certain characters under certain circumstances).
Speaking with my friends, they weren't too impressed by it. They thought this storyline had Raylan change too much and that he wasn't the "same old Raylan" from the original series.
Like I said, I enjoyed it enough, but to the die hard fans I know, it fell short of expectations.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara