News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on January 08, 2021, 12:01:22 PM
I have just started watching this and I am about 3/4 of the way thru season 1. As of now, I like it very much.

I am NOT a huge Trekkie and really only watched the original Star Trek and then about half of Star Trek  The Next Generation. After that, except for the movies, I have not followed all the future series that came out.
I attend (now with Zoom) a group from a library that we discuss things we are watching on TV and try to find a show that we all might like, watch and discuss (like a book discussion group). So Discovery was mentioned as several have also followed along and just finished season 3. Most of us are still in its infancy but since I do like it, I'll continue with it.

Actually, it's the exact same for me Lenny - not a huge Trekkie fan either, but liked the new movies (the ones with Chris Pine) and a friend of mine told me about Discovery on Netflix.

I watched the first 2 season in like 2 weeks, like a maniac and they were pretty cool... Season 3 I went along with the releases until today.  ;)

Have you seen Star Trek: Picard? Wonder if it's worth watching.

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 08, 2021, 12:06:43 PM
Actually, it's the exact same for me Lenny - not a huge Trekkie fan either, but liked the new movies (the ones with Chris Pine) and a friend of mine told me about Discovery on Netflix.

I watched the first 2 season in like 2 weeks, like a maniac and they were pretty cool... Season 3 I went along with the releases until today.  ;)

Have you seen Star Trek: Picard? Wonder if it's worth watching.

I have not seen it. I have heard really mixed reviews of it. Like if you LOVED Picard from Next Generation you will probably love this movie, and then visa versa. Again, just from hearsay, I have heard it is a bit slow and Picard, love him or hate him will determine how you feel about the movie.

Myself, I liked his character, but if the movie is slow, no liking a character will make it better. I'll see it sometime down the line.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

If you want something kind of light, I stumbled upon a show on Netflix called "Kim's Convenience".
It's a 30 minute sitcom (for lack of a better word) about a Korean family running a convenience store. It's not really a gut buster with one liners coming every minute, but it's more of a light hearted look at this family and their everyday problems. You don't really have to get "invested" in it. No tough story lines to follow, just something I find to be a fun show to watch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5912064/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

It's been on for 6 seasons, but I'm only in the middle of season two.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Bob In PA

I've got one... it's from 2005, so maybe some of you have seen it....  the jokes are numerous and IMO none of them fall flat.....     

"The Engagement Ring" starring Patricia Heaton (of Everybody Loves Raymond fame).   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461660/fullcredits

I liked it particularly because I "know" every one of the people in this cast from my own life.  I grew up with them, and most were members of my family.

In this case, the characters are Italian, but I suspect you don't have to be "too Italian" to have or have known people like this in your own family. 

It's available for free if you're an Amazon Prime customer/subscriber, but it's probably generally available elsewhere since it's over 15 years old.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 08, 2021, 07:52:54 PM
I've got one... it's from 2005, so maybe some of you have seen it....  the jokes are numerous and IMO none of them fall flat.....     

"The Engagement Ring" starring Patricia Heaton (of Everybody Loves Raymond fame).   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461660/fullcredits

I liked it particularly because I "know" every one of the people in this cast from my own life.  I grew up with them, and most were members of my family.

In this case, the characters are Italian, but I suspect you don't have to be "too Italian" to have or have known people like this in your own family. 

It's available for free if you're an Amazon Prime customer/subscriber, but it's probably generally available elsewhere since it's over 15 years old.

Bob

Is this a movie or a series?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on January 08, 2021, 12:17:50 PM
I have not seen it. I have heard really mixed reviews of it. Like if you LOVED Picard from Next Generation you will probably love this movie, and then visa versa. Again, just from hearsay, I have heard it is a bit slow and Picard, love him or hate him will determine how you feel about the movie.

Myself, I liked his character, but if the movie is slow, no liking a character will make it better. I'll see it sometime down the line.

I have watched Picard now Lenny, it's ok. Not as good as Discovery, as the latter is a bit more action-loaded, but it's ok to watch.

I have been watching "ALL OR NOTHING" from the Tottenham Hotspurs on Amazon - I reccommend it strongly although I know that most of you don't like or follow European Football (I refuse to call it soccer :laugh:).

Another good documentary is the Tony Parker one on Netflix called "The Final Shot". Really, really good.   

GordonGekko80

I have finished watching Lupin on Netflix.

Absolutely worthwhile - loved it (although I must admit I like Omar Sy a lot as an actor).

If you have seen The Intouchables you know what I am talking about. :)

LennG

Last night we were able to watch the latest new movie from PIXAR, "SOUL".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5C1OSSEOo&ab_channel=MovieclipsTrailers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2948372/

First things first. I LOVE anything that comes out of the PIXAR studios. Their animation and movies are just so far above anyone else's. Just classic movies, as Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars, WALL-E and so, so many more. Seems each was better than the last, so I went into this movie with great anticipation.PLUS it got rave reviews, so where am I with it. I just didn't love it. Don't get me wrong, the animation is way beyond anything PIXAR has ever done. There were scenes in NY where you might have thought it was film and not animated. Just so far ahead of its time. Story-wise, if anyone has watched the trailer, it about a supposedly middle-aged guy who loves Jazz. he is a temp music teacher for kids and gets a promotion to full-time. BUT, at the same time he lands a spot with a jazz band, his entire life what he has waited for--so where does he go. NO where, he falls down a manhole and dies and that really starts the essence of the story. And here is where it mostly became confused. I can see kids liking the characters and animation, but the story, about death, reborn life, and your soul is just not what kids would enjoy. Maybe I'm so old I don't know what kids would really enjoy, but I think parts of the movie might be way over their heads. It was to me. When the movie was back on Earth, it was great, trying to follow Joe Gardiner in his quest to return to Earth and play in this jazz band. It was funny, cute and so well done. I just felt they spent way too much time in what might be the afterlife, trying to decide where Joe would go and with whom.
Again this movie got excellent reviews, even better than that. I think it was the first animated movie made about African Americans--totally and it was great. The dude who played the barber was so great and his story, also great.

I would recommend this movie to one and all, and you decide for yourself. Great movie to watch with your kids as there could be so much to discuss with them during and after.

Charlie Weiss

katkavage

Small Axe on Amazon Prime. I hear Lupin on Netflix is real good. That's next.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on January 24, 2021, 11:18:41 AM
Last night we were able to watch the latest new movie from PIXAR, "SOUL".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5C1OSSEOo&ab_channel=MovieclipsTrailers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2948372/

First things first. I LOVE anything that comes out of the PIXAR studios. Their animation and movies are just so far above anyone else's. Just classic movies, as Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars, WALL-E and so, so many more. Seems each was better than the last, so I went into this movie with great anticipation.PLUS it got rave reviews, so where am I with it. I just didn't love it. Don't get me wrong, the animation is way beyond anything PIXAR has ever done. There were scenes in NY where you might have thought it was film and not animated. Just so far ahead of its time. Story-wise, if anyone has watched the trailer, it about a supposedly middle-aged guy who loves Jazz. he is a temp music teacher for kids and gets a promotion to full-time. BUT, at the same time he lands a spot with a jazz band, his entire life what he has waited for--so where does he go. NO where, he falls down a manhole and dies and that really starts the essence of the story. And here is where it mostly became confused. I can see kids liking the characters and animation, but the story, about death, reborn life, and your soul is just not what kids would enjoy. Maybe I'm so old I don't know what kids would really enjoy, but I think parts of the movie might be way over their heads. It was to me. When the movie was back on Earth, it was great, trying to follow Joe Gardiner in his quest to return to Earth and play in this jazz band. It was funny, cute and so well done. I just felt they spent way too much time in what might be the afterlife, trying to decide where Joe would go and with whom.
Again this movie got excellent reviews, even better than that. I think it was the first animated movie made about African Americans--totally and it was great. The dude who played the barber was so great and his story, also great.

I would recommend this movie to one and all, and you decide for yourself. Great movie to watch with your kids as there could be so much to discuss with them during and after.

Hey Lenny

Funny you mention it, we watched it with our girls on Xmas Day when it came out (we were quarantined as my sister and brother in law were tested positive for COVID, so we couldn't hang out together).
Wife and I loved it, the daughters (4 and 6) found it ok, but it's not their favourite at all. I find it to be a bit complex to understand for kids that age. Other than that, I feel it's very well made and the storyline also ties back a bit with Inside Out from 2015.

Other than that, I also love the PIXAR movies. They're all so good I can't even name a favourite for myself....

LennG

The first thing I've got to say is I am a HUGE fan of westerns--HUGE. I just love then, from the real oldies when guys would fight for 5 minutes all over the place and never lose the hat on their heads, to the old TV days of the Lone Ranger, to basically any Cowboys and Indians movie, right thru to present day. These days, compared to years past, the Western seems to have lost a lot of favor and you just do not see many. But when they do make one these days, they usually make them a lot more, true to life, than the olden days. In today's' westerns, the cowboys are not all clad in shiny new vests, are clean-shaven, and look like they just came out of the dry cleaners. That is nOT the way it was back then. Movies like 'The Unforgiven' were wonderful in the way the real west was portrayed.

Anyway, when I read that Tom Hanks had done his first Western, I just couldn't wait to see it, regardless of the reviews. His latest and the one I am talking about is
'News of the World".
So, most movies these days go to the theater where no one is watching and then go right to On Demand viewing online.
We got to see this movie last night, and, as you might expect--LOVED IT.

What else is there about Tom Hanks? He like an American institution nowadays. Whatever he is in, while maybe not terrific, is always enjoyable enough to watch and enjoy. So, with my love of Westerns, and Mr. Hanks in the lead, I just sat back and enjoyed 2 hours of wonderful entertainment.

The story basically--Hanks is a 'newsreader'. he goes around town to town, for a dime apiece, which people pay to hear him read the news of the day, and listen to his stories about it, and they love him. While journeying along, he comes to a burnt wagon, with one person hung and he finds a young girl who is white but was raised by the Indians and spoke no English. He decides to take her with him to town and they really weren't up to that idea of having her. The town really doesn't want the girl but he learns she has family somewhere and he volunteers to take her there (????). And that is the story, his journey, and what happens to him along the way. I have to say the guy wasn't born under a lucky star and misfortune is everywhere. That is all I will say and you will have to watch for yourself. But the story is about the relationship between Hanks and the young girl and the chemistry is just marvelous. Not a lot of dialogue but great acting, and Mr. Hanks might have another Oscar nomination for this work.

I would heartily recommend this movie to everyone. There is some killing, some cursing, but nothing graphic and it is suitable for families.
One of the best watches I have seen in quite a while.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Has anyone, or does anyone, watch 'The Vikings', now on Amazon Prime. I have watched this series from the get-go when it originated on the History Channel and loved it. I believe they are into season 6 now. I thought it ended after its final episode on History, but on looking at it, I see that they continued with the story on Prime for this next season. They call it Season 6 part 2, but whatever they want to call it, it is one hell of a show.
Historical-wise, I can't say, but many of the characters were real people at one time, but the story, the evolution of it, is far superior to most things that are on TV. Lots of action, many characters to like or dislike, and many who were big at one time, killed off (as you might expect when Vikings go to war) and they seem to be always at war.

I would recommend this series, but it might be confusing if you started now. Story-wise you might be able to, but you have no idea of the characters and the motivations behind most things. Start at the beginning and enjoy the ride.
I would say this is more of a 'man's' watch, as there is lots of fighting (but no real blood and gore), lots of love, and some sex but since it was on History, nothing of value is shown.

Just a great watch--highly recommended.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Have started watching the Hugh Hefner Documentary / Series / Movie on Amazon Prime.

Very good so far...

LennG

We watched the movie, "Mank' the other day. See, my review in the Movie thread. It was nominated for all sorts of Golden Globes. Good watch but not as good as I had hoped.

Charlie Weiss